RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Tony Kelly Look

Old 11-21-2010, 05:35 PM

Re: Tony Kelly Look

use full power on your flash. Increase your ISO to make your sensor more sensitive to light. Unless you're using a point and shoot camera, your shutter speed will likely be limited to 1/200 - 1/250 second, depending on SLR model. Don't put anything between the flash and your subject (e.g. umbrella) because that makes the light softer by increasing the size of the light and it eats up your flash's power. If you have more than one flash, shoot them together as it will double the amount of light.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2010, 05:47 PM

I will definitely try full power. I forget to mention that I do have ETTL Cord for my camera. I will definitely play around with that. (Possibly hold it above my head.) I can't wait to try this out this week. I'll keep you guys updated to see how things went. Hopefully i can shoot before thanksgiving.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmanaf View Post
we all have our own opinions on his photography. I really like his style a lot because his photographs relates to mine. I am a nightlife/party photographer.

anyway. i am just curious on how he get colors to pop really well with out over saturating the model skins. Great examples would be in the "Advertisement" Section, The CUSTO S/S Editorials, and TRITON F/W Editorials. Suggestions?

ok.. fair enough...

1 - took out some of the high/mid-freq. (skin cleanup)
2 - (pulled the midtones a little, slightly lowering the key lowering sat)
3 - skin-colour, picked relative "mid" skin tone (from the nose in this case)
3.5 - paint over skin on new layer, colour mode with picked colour (no gradients)
4 - b/contrast layer, blend luminosity, set contrast (new) 100%
5 - sharpen

edit: for TRITON colours, look up "colour theory" , complementary colours
(and paint over in colour blend mode where you need them)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg web_re.jpg (97.4 KB, 110 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2010, 07:41 PM

thanks shadowlight! i really appreciate your time helping out! may i ask you something. did you use photoshop to edit the photo or did you use aperture? i am assuming you used photoshop. Anyway i honestly have no idea of how you did the editing. I am not familiar with photoshop for fashion editing. Like, what tools do you use to take out some of the high/mid freq? tools for painting over the skin on new layer? etc... sorry about asking, i am just not tech savvy on photoshop. but again, thanks!

Lastly, you did an awesome job editing! the colors look exactly like the tony kelly photos, except that i don't have the girls. lol.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2010, 08:11 PM

thanks, it was done with photoshop,
I used this photo as a start: 2010-11-21-MISC-1

for the skin cleanup I used SkinSmooth http://www.facebook.com/PhotonicTools
(so basically use it to clean up the skin, additionally if you need you can do some spot-healing with the heal-brush)

to paint over the skin, just make a new blank layer, set blend mode to "color"
pick what colour you want and just use the paint brush on the layer
(this will only change the colour of the underlying image)

the only thing that is not standard in photoshop is SkinSmooth, but if you are interested in doing those things, lookup a photoshop tutorial about how to work with layers... it's not hard and will clear things up a lot.

cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2010, 09:12 PM

Hey guys, here is a pic i just did over the weekend for a fashion shoot. I think its pretty close to tony's style. I used a custom camera bracket to get the flash up close to the camera's lens. Increased the FLASH EXP COMP to +1. White Balance to "FLASH". Aperture 5.6. ISO 800. And Shutterspeed 1/200. And lastly, no joke, this photo hasn't even been edited yet. Just trait out of the camera. (Im impressed)

here is the link.

http://twitpic.com/3dmurb
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2012, 02:23 PM

I'm resurrecting this thread cause i can find anything else about Tony Kelly's way of retouching colors.
And i can't have his results using the methods explained in the previous posts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingH View Post
just flash the shit out of your subject with on-camera flash
I also think it looks like a lot of on axis lighting (ring light,etc)....it's a very distinctive light source. You can see some obvious shadows as well though that don't add up to that of an on axis light source. Either it's being used for strong fill and he's recovering the shadows in post or bringing them in from a separate exp completely. That and a lot of strong colors/clarity/contrast, but that would be better answered by the pros here.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching