RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Anybody know how this awesome look is achieved?

Old 11-30-2010, 04:37 AM

Re: Anybody know how this awesome look is achieved

Thanks for pointing me to him.
I think the use of a FF camera and a good quality lens.
He makes the portraits on a short distance with F1.4 or 1.8.
No fancy stuff with post processing.
See before, after http://www.dslr-forum.de/showthread....613333&page=28

http://www.fluidr.com/photos/wefwef
He did makes erery day a photo for a book.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2010, 04:47 PM

Some of the information is out of date that's listed above, his Flickr images are using a 5D mk II and a wide array of lenses. I don't think that he's achieving all of the background blur with just depth of field, the images all seem to have two zones, perfect focus, and then the background no matter how far away is very evenly blurred. At F/1.4 you'd get different focus over just the depth of the face and it would really change with the depth of the scene, not this kind of binary sharp/unsharp. So there is some of that due to his aperture but a lot of it is selectively blurring (not in all of them).

He's also definitely editing the colors. Maybe not in every image. What exactly he's doing, beats me, probably using all the tools in the book. I don't agree that there isn't any fancy post-processing, that's not true. Just look at his "photowalk" with that one model. Even with a series of her wearing the same clothing, in some the color of her face matches the clothes, in other they are very different hues.

He's compressed what he's doing into "editing the histogram" and it's much more sophisticated than that. His backgrounds tend to have the same palette as the articles of clothing on the random passers by and it's similar to what you see in movies these days where the entire color palette is set by the colorist. Most people will not want to share their techniques once they get to a certain level, often they are simpler than one may think and we all know there's a million approaches. It's very hard to know what each person chooses to do and while you may be able to replicate the look of one photo, if you don't get the method right it won't work for the next photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2010, 06:49 PM

This is a case in point:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wefwef/5189737197/sizes/l/

There are only two colors in this image, orange and teal which are contrasting colors and very similar to the current Hollywood colorizing trend. You can do this in a very straightforward way by duplicating the layer, creating a solid color layer for each layer, setting it to clip to the underlying layer and blend mode "Color". Then you have to mask out the top layer.

The trick is in doing the masking... be nice to automate that, and I'm not sure what would be an easy way of doing this in photoshop.

This one image is a dramatic example, but a lot of his images you can see this complimentary color scheme showing up in the backgrounds, buildings are by chance showing a lot of non-grey colors which just happen to compliment hats and scarves on the subjects and that doesn't really happen to our convenience in shooting random people in random locations. More likely it's some substitution going on in Photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2010, 01:55 AM

I will try to shoot at wide open and see if i can get something similar, i can tell that it is done by post processing more, i used many lenses under natural light outdoor to shoot people even wide open and none of them came out with same color effect as these, so i can say it is done with PP more than just camera+lens+light.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2010, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tareq View Post
I will try to shoot at wide open and see if i can get something similar, i can tell that it is done by post processing more, i used many lenses under natural light outdoor to shoot people even wide open and none of them came out with same color effect as these, so i can say it is done with PP more than just camera+lens+light.
I already analyzed that portion pretty closely. My comments on lighting involved how the faces were devoid of any really harsh shadows, and the catch lights in the eyes suggested it was natural light rather than fill flash and not too harsh. The post processing that I see is that they did adjust the tones on the clothing and skin to get that look, and the background was obviously darkened to make the subject jump. It's just a matter of comparing brightness. Some of them have a bit of vignetting toward the edges but that could have been from using some of those lenses at very wide apertures and just leaving it uncorrected. With good detail and lighting (the lighting is fairly enveloping around the face and lacks really harsh shadowing) I can tell you the post would be easy. They are pretty but seriously the post work is the easiest part of that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2010, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
I already analyzed that portion pretty closely. My comments on lighting involved how the faces were devoid of any really harsh shadows, and the catch lights in the eyes suggested it was natural light rather than fill flash and not too harsh. The post processing that I see is that they did adjust the tones on the clothing and skin to get that look, and the background was obviously darkened to make the subject jump. It's just a matter of comparing brightness. Some of them have a bit of vignetting toward the edges but that could have been from using some of those lenses at very wide apertures and just leaving it uncorrected. With good detail and lighting (the lighting is fairly enveloping around the face and lacks really harsh shadowing) I can tell you the post would be easy. They are pretty but seriously the post work is the easiest part of that.
Will see later when i do more some shooting and hope with processing i can get similar to these, just i am not much into portraits but i should give it a try sometimes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2010, 03:38 AM

I think 90% of his photo's are made with Sigma 50mm F/1.4 HSM.
These are also his best.
For the color he used split toning.
He made a few with a pen but return to the sigma.
I've attach a picture he put on to a german forum.
A before after.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WefWefsmall.jpg (64.2 KB, 135 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2010, 05:37 AM

There may be some of this tutorial in there?

http://paxtonprints.com/index.php?x=...ait_processing

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstomper View Post
I have been searching everywhere to find more information on how this photographer (Markus Schwarze) achieves the look in his street portraits.

Here are a few examples...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wefwef/5189737197/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wefwef/5039845496/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wefwef/5178388322/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wefwef/5178388248/

There was a thread started on the Flickr Photoshop Support Group (http://www.flickr.com/groups/photosh...7624983773261/), and the original poster started to get very close to the result, but he has not yet shared his results.

Does anybody have any ideas on how this look is achieved??

Thanks in advance,

Josh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2010, 08:14 AM

Marked for *Refrence*
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2010, 08:18 AM

Look's like grunge effect.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching