Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Anybody know how this awesome look is achieved?

Old 12-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Re: Anybody know how this awesome look is achieved

Here's a tutorial on this technique that may be helpful:

I've worked on achieving this look and found that a great deal of it is up to the lighting, lens and camera (I've gotten a similar look photos from my D700 with 85mm f/1.4). The processing, though, is also key. If you look at the before/afters for wefwef/Markus Schwarze's images, there is a big difference between the originals and the end product. One thing that is different about his photos, to me, is the way he processes skin. Take a look at some and you will notice that the skin on several photos appears to have almost the exact same color (look at the cooler photos of men - everyone's skin looks to be the same color). Also, to me, it looks like he adds some noise (or pores from another shot) to the focal areas of the skin to increase the apparent sharpness. I don't know if I'm imagining all of this or if it is the case, but I thought that I would mention it.

With regard to the apparent lack of shadows -- he's probably adjusting the RAW settings to get rid of most shadow areas (or playing with shadows/highlights in PS).

All in all, I like his photos. But, I like them because he seeks out new and different subjects every day. Without an interesting subject, knowing how to do this style won't get you very far (your wife or girlfriend probably won't be very happy with you if you process her photos with such an emphasis on the details. :.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2010, 05:54 PM

Sorry,,,I'm not a 'pro',,,,& always seem to upset someone but these are awesome images,,,but thats deffo ' blur' not DOF,,,,,its uniformly out of focus,,great result but deffo not in camera ,, , see this guy if you want in camera DOF,,,,,,,,& I want to be in the city where the lighting is so consistent,,,,,,,,
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching