RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Anybody know how this awesome look is achieved?

Old 11-25-2010, 05:57 AM

Anybody know how this awesome look is achieved?

I have been searching everywhere to find more information on how this photographer (Markus Schwarze) achieves the look in his street portraits.

Here are a few examples...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wefwef/5189737197/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wefwef/5039845496/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wefwef/5178388322/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wefwef/5178388248/

There was a thread started on the Flickr Photoshop Support Group (http://www.flickr.com/groups/photosh...7624983773261/), and the original poster started to get very close to the result, but he has not yet shared his results.

Does anybody have any ideas on how this look is achieved??

Thanks in advance,

Josh.

Last edited by frogstomper; 11-25-2010 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Title change
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2010, 06:27 AM

Re: Anybody know how this awesome look is achieved

I looked at a few. I'd like to figure out how his lighting is THAT consistent. I know you can emulate a lot of this in post, but viewing those I think the majority of it was done with nice lighting. They're some of the nicest I've seen though. A lot of it can be done just by a few raw processing adjustments. It's a formula I've seen posted on here a lot lately. Warm skin, processed slightly down on exposure really warm but low in saturation. Background (and corners to a greater degree) burned down and shifted in color slightly to create that pop. The images are really well focused, definitely sharpened. He's boosted the skin contrast a bit, but the backgrounds were also reworked nicely. Site's not in English but I may ask him how he gets such lighting consistency on them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2010, 10:32 AM

Wat makes the images pop is a GOOD mix of color contrast and DOF

ALL of those have warm skintones vs Blue/cyan accessories/details.

ALL of those are REALLY sharp in the subject and really out of focus in the BG

x
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2010, 02:44 PM

Thanks heaps for the replies.

Any suggestion as to how he would achieve the look. Do you think he selectively boosted the reds/oranges in the face? What sort of sharpening would achieve the look of the face? Do you think there's a slight overall desaturation applied to the whole image?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstomper View Post
Thanks heaps for the replies.

Any suggestion as to how he would achieve the look. Do you think he selectively boosted the reds/oranges in the face? What sort of sharpening would achieve the look of the face? Do you think there's a slight overall desaturation applied to the whole image?
I doubt your original images look like his. Not because of a quality assumption but because noone's images look like someone else's images :/

There's no way to know if you need to boost the oranges in your original, maybe they are already REALLY REALLY REALLY orange already and that would create an oversaturation... who knows?...

I (and I think I speak for most people here) need to see your point A from which you want to get to point B
x
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
I doubt your original images look like his. Not because of a quality assumption but because noone's images look like someone else's images :/

x
Agree 100%
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2010, 06:44 AM

The background seems to be processed differently than the foreground (the person) - the background has a cooler color tones whereas the person has warmer. Basically, it seems to be Raw exposure blending - one with cooler WB for the background blended with warmer WB for the person. The color tones are finally nailed using Selective Color Adjustment Layer. The selective sharpening is done with (maybe 2 passes) of High Pass.
Also, the shots were taken by a very fast 50mm glass which gives a very blurred background straight out of camera.

Just my .02$

S
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2010, 08:35 AM

This is some information I found from the photographer's blog. (Translated by Google)

Equipment
"Dear reader,
I have now been asked often what I use as an equipment. Since I do not answer every email with the same text, I write here are a few lines about it.

Canon EOS 5D Mark1
This camera gives me everything I need as a photographer. She has a small image sensor is not (no crop) a broad ISO range, 12Megapixel and more

Canon EF 35mm f/1.4
Wow, great focal length, great intensity. All you need to say.

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM
I use this lens to 80% It is exactly the perspective I have also, therefore, makes it much easier. Especially on the road is, I think, a very nice focal length. Due to the brightness of f/1.4, it is possible to make darkness more great photos also. Examples: CLICK

Canon EF 135mm f / 2 L USM
This lens is probably the classic portrait lens, which is true. It is possible with this focal length, extremely release the person. The disadvantage is that you must be very far away, which I do not think quite so well. Examples: CLICK

I use in my street portraits no flash light sources. When I dealt with a person, I turn my person to the light. Now if this light from a window, from a lamp post or elsewhere come from, does not matter."

From an interview:
MS: My workflow is as follows. I copy the RAW from your memory card to my external hard drive. From there, I import the images into the Lightroom catalog. In Lightroom, the RAW "pre-developed". Weißablgeich ie, dye, cut. The RAW data is then exported as a TIFF and further processed in Photoshop. In Photoshop, then the personal characteristics (beard, eyes, hair, etc.) worked out something. It is adjusted by the histogram Levels. What about all. I work on a PC with a 24 "monitor. It could be better but it's enough.

Last edited by i-inspire; 11-27-2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: added more info
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-inspire View Post
This is some information I found. (Translated by Google)

Equipment
"Dear reader,
I have now been asked often what I use as an equipment. Since I do not answer every email with the same text, I write here are a few lines about it.

Canon EOS 5D Mark1
This camera gives me everything I need as a photographer. She has a small image sensor is not (no crop) a broad ISO range, 12Megapixel and more

Canon EF 35mm f/1.4
Wow, great focal length, great intensity. All you need to say.

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM
I use this lens to 80% It is exactly the perspective I have also, therefore, makes it much easier. Especially on the road is, I think, a very nice focal length. Due to the brightness of f/1.4, it is possible to make darkness more great photos also. Examples: CLICK

Canon EF 135mm f / 2 L USM
This lens is probably the classic portrait lens, which is true. It is possible with this focal length, extremely release the person. The disadvantage is that you must be very far away, which I do not think quite so well. Examples: CLICK

I use in my street portraits no flash light sources. When I dealt with a person, I turn my person to the light. Now if this light from a window, from a lamp post or elsewhere come from, does not matter."

From an interview:
MS: My workflow is as follows. I copy the RAW from your memory card to my external hard drive. From there, I import the images into the Lightroom catalog. In Lightroom, the RAW "pre-developed". Weißablgeich ie, dye, cut. The RAW data is then exported as a TIFF and further processed in Photoshop. In Photoshop, then the personal characteristics (beard, eyes, hair, etc.) worked out something. It is adjusted by the histogram Levels. What about all. I work on a PC with a 24 "monitor. It could be better but it's enough.
Sounds about right.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2010, 01:17 PM

Thanks heaps for all the replies. I'll try all of the suggestions and see what I can come up with.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching