Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to do grain and focal length

Old 12-03-2010, 06:03 AM
Re: How to do grain and focal length

You can add grain in PS, just google how to.

The picture also look like it's either a large aperture/focal length or it's just been applied via some mask in PS using Guassian blurring...

A technique to draw the viewers attention into parts of the picture...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2010, 07:31 AM

Krypticide: To me the DOF in that photo appears to have been done in-camera. Either way, it is masterfully done. The focal plane seems slightly tilted? I'm sure the image has been retouched a bunch besides that.

Anyway, the closest you could get to simulate this in Photoshop would be the lens-blur filter. Gaussian blur is not good at creating realistic lens/out-of-focus blurring. The lens blur filter is extremely slow, and I would recommend 3rd party plug-ins for this (girlsfather had two examples). You will have to create a depth map (not just a mask) for good results.

To add grain/noise in Photoshop very similar to that in the image above add a new layer, fill it with 50 % gray, set blending mode to "soft light", and use Filter > Noise > Add Noise. 9 % and monochrome. Adjust to taste.
This is sharp per-pixel noise, but that seems to be what the example Photo had. For some other types (soft/enlarged/etc...), try Filter > Texture > Grain... and desaturate the result.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2010, 03:51 PM

"Alien Skin, Exposure 2" is amazing in adding grain to images. I do that on all of my images since after all, film is suppose to have grain
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2011, 11:15 PM

I've got a little trick for faking the depth of field of a tilt/shift lens. It's no substitute for a real tilt/shift, but it gets close.

It's pretty simple:
First, if you do your retouch on a separate layer from the original layer, merge then together.
Then hit Q to enter quick mask mode. Grab the gradient tool and set it to a circular gradient.
Set your foreground color as black and background color to white.
Then click the part you want to be in focus and drag the gradient tool out to your desired length. It should leave you with a red spot over the face (or whatever part you've chosen to have in focus.
Then hit Q again to leave quick mask mode. This should leave you with the "marching ants" in a circle around the face and also on the border of the photo.
From there you can use a gaussian blur or a lens blur as much or as little as you want to get the desired results.
Here's a photo of mine that I did that to. You can be as subtle or obtuse with is you want. I chose to be subtle. (note, the photo may not be safe for work)

I've been trying to get the grain look you're talking about. I've got the Nik Silver Efex and Color Exef plugins, but they don't give me the exact look I'm trying to get.
I've tried my own way by creating a new layer, set to overlay, filled with 50% neutral gray. Then I use the add noise filter, and add anywhere between 5-15% monochromatic, gaussian, noise to the layer (depending on the photo). Then I put a gaussian blur on it at .5 - 1.5 pixel to soften it a little. This looks nice when the photo is big, but when I size it down the effect goes away. It also mainly only affects the shadow areas, midtones are affected as much, and you can barely see it in the highlights (if at all).

Here's a sample of the look I'm trying to get.

Someone suggested this technique to me:
Add a Channel Mixer adjustment layer above the background. Change the layer's blend mode to Overlay or Soft Light.
In the Channel Mixer dialog box, check the Monochrome box.
Drag the blue channel slider to the right to about 100 as a starting point. Drag the Red channel slider to the left to offset the excessive brightness. You can move the green a little either way. The more you move the Blue to the right, the more noise and grunge you will get.
When you are done you add a Hue/Sat adj layer on top and reduce the saturation. You can also increase the Lightness to smooth the texture out.

But doing that really ups the contrast in a way that I don't like.
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2011, 11:32 PM

The Dofpro gives good results if you have to simulate dept.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2011, 02:40 AM

I think Focal Point does a pretty good job with simulating DOF.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drottningholmsteatern_hel_dof_crop.jpg (93.0 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2011, 11:11 AM

Oooh, dofpro is free! I've been looking for a good dof-plugin! Thanks chillin! Downloading now (hopefully it's not as slow as Photoshop's Lens Blur!). Would be useful if I ever pick up 3Dstudio again as well

thehjj: Regarding the noise I'd ditch the method you said you didn't like - it sounds like it would (as you touch on) just boost contrast - and the settings are just tweaked a little to somewhat enhance the noise present in the image as a secondary effect (assuming most of it is in the blue channel).

My recommendation to simulate the noise seen in the sample image (assuming the above example was at 100%):
1. Add a blank layer and fill it with 50% grey (128,128,128). Set blending mode to Overlay (Soft Light is another option).
2. Load the "RGB" channel as a selection (cmd/ctrl-click it in the channels palette).
3. Add the selection as a mask, then invert it (ctrl/cmd-i).
-- You now have an ("invisible") gray layer limited by the mask so that it affects shadow areas the most --
4. Filter > Noise > Add noise... Perhaps 10% gaussian/monochromatic.
5. Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur... Try 0,3 px or similar to soften the blur.

With the steps above I got very close to the sample image.

Bonus tips:
* Make the grey layer a smart object and the noise/gaussian blur will be added as adjustable smart filters!
* Record the steps as an action; for convenient future use!
* Apply a curves-adjustment directly on the mask to tweak how hard the noise hits the bright/dark areas.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching