RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

a very bad skin

Old 12-02-2010, 04:52 PM

Re: a very bad skin

I used CS5.

I did that work late at night. Looking at it with today with fresher eyes I'd say the sharpening was unnecessary.

Here's D&S again at 10/17 but without sharpening.

It's not ready for vogue, but not bad for 60 secs work either.

For finer control mask then brush in selectively.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DS1017nosharp.jpg (69.3 KB, 98 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2010, 05:23 AM

D&S + D&B + 'some other tricks'

I should say these samples are far from being a very bad skin. I haven't seen full images, but skin is ok. Yes, it needs retouching, but it's not as hard to do as to retouch wrong lit dark skin models.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg org3.jpg (81.2 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg org3-ret.jpg (74.0 KB, 136 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiris View Post
D&S + D&B + 'some other tricks'
This is a learning forum... don't see the point in posting something if you ain't gonna explain it fully.

"some other tricks" implies there's some secret formula that regular people don't know about, there ain't such a thing.
I'm willing to bet your "other tricks" are really already publicly explain techniques.

Could you elaborate on the "some other tricks" so people can actually know there's no secret formula?

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2010, 08:49 AM

Couldn't one use Inverted High Pass at a correct radius and reduce those small blemishes?
Godmother?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbic View Post
I usually apply some combination of D&B and frequency split to smooth the skin texture. But it takes a bit too much time I'd like to commit to it.
Mate, you are on the right track - you are already doing what you should do to achieve the best results possible. As Godmother points out, there are no secrets or shortcuts to be had: if you want quality you have to put in the time.

@ Asiris
Sorry mate, IMO that doesn't cut it. THE OP said:
I'm not looking for a quick method 'how to end up with blurred skin'
Unfortunately the sample you posted would probably be terribly blurry viewed as a full image - you have virtually erased all the traces of actual skin texture and depth.

The D&S filter will not work for a quick fix to remove pimples or skin impurities (and I don't think it works well in any of the provided samples here) because it smooths pixels uniformly all over - it was meant for removing dust from scanned trannies and it works a charm at that. On top of that it leaves very characteristic, visible flat streaks and weird pixelization if over-applied. Pimples and blemishes should be healed/cloned away. Once you do that if you want to save time you can try and do a D&S with a low radius - opacity to taste.
Cheers!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2010, 10:49 AM

Phaeton, for every given situation there is the "best" way, the "quickest" way, and a slew of in-betweens. The OP started the thread saying they knew the best way, and the quickest way, but was looking for suitable in-betweens.

In my opinion the best people can do to help is post a method, show the results, and then let each individual decide for themselves if it's good enough, fast enough or neither. Hopefully in the process the bar get raised for all of us with regard to how much quality can be accomplished in a limited amount of time.

With that said, your turn to show and tell.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
Sorry mate, IMO that doesn't cut it. THE OP said:
I'm not looking for a quick method 'how to end up with blurred skin'
Unfortunately the sample you posted would probably be terribly blurry viewed as a full image - you have virtually erased all the traces of actual skin texture and depth.
First of all it's not fast. It takes quite a while with D&B to make it look right. I attached files how it would look if I stopped at D&B step.

If you like how it looks after D&B only it's ok. It actually might use some more cleaning at this step if it's final. I also might agree that my version might look blurred on web size(it's hard to say until you can see the whole image), but I believe it will look great on bigger print sizes.

BUT using D&S can help you saving some time and results aren't that bad at all.

If you want to D&B all the image go ahead, but using D&S on some problematic area can be a smart choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
Could you elaborate on the "some other tricks" so people can actually know there's no secret formula?Thanks
Well basically there is no magic or some special technique. Also it's not my usual workflow. I rarely use any filters to remove imperfections and retouch skin. My main tool is D&B, but I visited the thread, played with D&S and discovered a good way to apply it with D&B so it's looks not bad at all from my point of view. It can be applied as well to some problematic areas to fix them and it makes it faster than manual cleanup, but just as good.

I will definitely test in on real projects and see if it can be used on a daily basis in my workflow, but so far it works fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg org3_2_db.jpg (37.5 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg org3_1_db.jpg (83.7 KB, 96 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2010, 01:03 PM

I hate grey layers. If you overdo dodging then go to bring it back via burning, you can unintentionally overdo it slightly or the feathering may hit an unintended area. Sure at the start you could just paint back grey, but as the layer becomes more and more painted up, it becomes way too easy to ruin your work like this to the point of where you may have to redo a significant portion of the layer. There are a few workarounds to help prevent that, but I don't consider them worth going into as I hate the technique for that and its other shortcomings.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
I hate grey layers.
How about using two curves layers instead? One for dodge (brightening curve), one for burn (darkening curve). Then use black/white brush in the masks. That's what I prefer at least; I think it gives better control, especially when I do not have to "dodge" and "burn" on the same layer...
(You could also set blending to luminosity).

Edit: Hmm... this is off-topic, let's get back to those noses!

Last edited by Chain; 12-03-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
How about using two curves layers instead? One for dodge (brightening curve), one for burn (darkening curve). Then use black/white brush in the masks. That's what I prefer at least; I think it gives better control, especially when I do not have to "dodge" and "burn" on the same layer...
(You could also set blending to luminosity).
I don't maintain rules on blending modes. Luminosity blending is situational imo. I wouldn't personally jump back and forth too much on those two layers, as you'd create the same problem, overlapping work. You could go through on a "brightening curve" layer, check your work, and remove or fade back anything that didn't go quite according to plan by painting the mask back toward black again. Then do a pass on the referred to "darkening" layer once the region is pretty clean on the lightening layer. Basically you're better off not assigning conflicting instructions between your layers when it comes to the micro details of an image. If I had to do broader shading or something like that I'd use separate layers altogether from those that where I'm doing micro adjustments so as to be able to adjust things like shading without risking ruining fine detail work if it has to be edited later.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching