RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

a very bad skin

Old 12-01-2010, 02:54 PM

a very bad skin

What if you have to deal with a very bad skin with pimple by pimple?
I usually apply some combination of D&B and frequency split to smooth the skin texture. But it takes a bit too much time I'd like to commit to it.

I'm not looking for a quick method 'how to end up with blurred skin', but maybe there are some faster ways to turn such horrible original to smooth and even skin texture that I just don't know.

Do you know any faster, yet still neat way to get rid of the horrible texture?

Examples beneath
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dbb301.jpg (81.2 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg 5bd7a.jpg (74.4 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg 5b3d5.jpg (85.5 KB, 153 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2010, 04:16 PM

Re: a very bad skin

There isn't a really quick way if you want quality work. I kind of like some of the lines in the skin. They make it feel more realistic. As for the little dots and stuff, assuming these samples are at 100%, I'd make a cloning pass for the smallest stuff. I might do some reduction on the small hairs in that pass too. You can click the layer used on and off to check for errors and fix them before going past this step. Other methods might be too tedious, especially given how much contrast is on them. The skin may look really bad, but i've gotten plenty of photos like it. To a degree you have to see this the way it'll look in print. If you're viewing on a bright contrasty monitor as many people do at 100% it often makes skin look far rougher and magnifies these small details way further than you'll see them later. If you had to, you could turn out something passable from this in an hour or less. If you wanted it to look top notch probably longer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2010, 11:05 PM

Here's a quickie before/after on your third image.

Dust & Scratches filter applied: Radius 10, Threshold 17
Followed by a touch of high radius USM: Amt 30, Radius 30
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5b3d5.jpg (85.5 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg DS1017.jpg (70.5 KB, 188 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2010, 01:43 PM

Wow, flashtones, that's amazing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2010, 03:08 PM

I also play with dust & scratches but I'm a bit concerned about the final texture. When you view it at 100% it looks weird and unnatural. Anyway thanks for your help Flashtones.

Kav, yes I want quality work, and it seems that most of the skin I get to retouch is really bad Another thing I don't like to rely on my monitor cause others may have theirs set in such a way they would see much more. so I try to retouch each dot, even those which seem they shouldn't be noticed.
Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2010, 03:24 PM

Dust & Scratches filter really does an amazing job here. I realize I might have underestimated it!

One question tho, the filter creates aliased areas with flat color, anyone able to think of any clever ways of softening these? Perhaps separating them out and selectively blur those areas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dustscratches.jpg (55.6 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by Chain; 12-02-2010 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Added screenshot
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
Dust & Scratches filter really does an amazing job here. I realize I might have underestimated it!

One question tho, the filter creates aliased areas with flat color, anyone able to think of any clever ways of softening these? Perhaps separating them out and selectively blur those areas?
Dust and scratches isn't that useful. You have a lot of shapes and pronounced roughness. Softening the edges of a pimple isn't the same as removing it, and if you soften it to the point of removing it, you lose the natural quality to the image.

If you want it to look good, you don't want to hit every pixel in the area. It should be far more selective than any automated method can give you. Oh and don't worry what it will look like on someone else's monitor. If it's going to print, your concern should be how it will print. If you just try to take away everything because you're afraid of what someone else will see, you're likely to end up overdoing it. It's important to have an objective view on what will actually detract from the photo relative to the style of work the photographer is known for. Overdoing it just makes the image look worse and takes longer, so it hurts you twice. It does require some spot work, but you need to know what to hit in order to work effectively. When I looked at that image, I could see how I'd do it.

Something that's often understated, you need to make sure you're not overly fatiguing your eyes looking at the screen. It's one of the hugest hits to efficiency. Do you use photoshop shortcut keys or mouse over your tool palette? When it comes to rough skin, it's never that quick, but working habits can make a huge impact.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
Here's a quickie before/after on your third image.

Dust & Scratches filter applied: Radius 10, Threshold 17
Followed by a touch of high radius USM: Amt 30, Radius 30
What version of photoshop created this? That's better detail than I've seen it retain historically. Maybe if you did this on a duplicate layer and erased some of the edges where it was most damaging? I still prefer precision but that's way better detail than it used to maintain.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
What version of photoshop created this? That's better detail than I've seen it retain historically. Maybe if you did this on a duplicate layer and erased some of the edges where it was most damaging? I still prefer precision but that's way better detail than it used to maintain.
no... it's about the radius. Try those settings.

AND he sharpened after the D&S
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
no... it's about the radius. Try those settings.

AND he sharpened after the D&S
I noticed the range and the sharpening applied. I tried something similar on someone's suggestion a couple years ago. While I can still see a texture loss it appears a lot less invasive than what I'm used to seeing from automated filter actions, unless I'm mistaken and just require more coffee today due to lack of sleep.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching