|Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.|
| ||Thread Tools|
so I can e-mail them without using any
additional software? I'm using Mac.
Ctr + compress doesn't reduce the file size,
so I need some other suggestions, please.
Re: Zip File?
I think the real problem is that raw files can not be compressed that much at all. Different file types can be compressed with different efficiency, text files the most and raw or movie files the least. Consider zipping as a way to bundle raw files, not as a way to compress.
Re: Zip File?
RAW files don't zip well at all. That's why JPG or PNG are the standards for sending images digitally. If you need to get a RAW file to someone else who is going to work on it, you would be better off using a dropbox or other web based file sharing method.
Re: Zip File?
In the previous century we did it with FTP. But that was a bit complicated for Joe Blow, Jane Doe, and your auntie Meredith. So in this century we have browser based Large File Transfer services (LFTs). And you're in luck, because there are dozens of those! Many free! And they work like a charm.
For your convenience here's list of 16 Large File Transfer services for when you need to send someone (or a bunch of people) a number of high-resolution/HD image or video files = BIG files. I use some of these services every day:
• WeTransfer.com is FREE for up to 2GB of files or (zipped) folders per transfer.
• DropSend.com is FREE for up to 2GB of files or (zipped) folders per transfer.
• SizableSend.com is FREE for up to 2.5GB of files or (zipped) folders per transfer.
• Yousendit.com is FREE upto 1GB/month with max 100MB per transfer.
• Pando.com is FREE upto 1GB of files or folders per transfer.
• Sendspace.com is FREE upto 300MB per transfer.
• Pipebytes.com (beta) is FREE for files (not folders, so zip those) upto 300MB per transfer.
• Youconvertit.com is FREE for files (not folders, so zip those) upto 1GB per transfer.
• Filedropper.com is FREE for files (not folders, so zip those) upto 5GB per transfer.
• Transferbigfiles.com is FREE for files (not folders, so zip those) upto ??MB/GB per transfer (untested).
• Mailbigfile.com is FREE for files (not folders, so zip those) upto ??MB/GB per transfer (untested).
• zUPLOAD.com is FREE for files (not folders, so zip those) upto ??MB/GB per transfer (untested).
• MegaUpload.com is FREE for files (not folders, so zip those) upto ??MB/GB per transfer (untested).
• FileApartment.com is FREE for files (not folders, so zip those) upto 1GB per transfer.
• Streamfile.com is NOT free and allows files up to 30GB to be transferred.
• iSendr.com is a FREE and REALTIME direct – computer to computer – (large) file transfer service without a middleman (server), and no size limits.
My current favorite is WeTransfer.com (http://www.wetransfer.com/)
One caveat: you need a broadband internet connection to use these LFTs. Dial-up is faaar too slow.
Last edited by W.Smith; 12-11-2010 at 11:51 PM.
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|An image file to play with||Tareq||Retouching Practice Files||20||08-13-2015 05:49 PM|
|Paint Engine Presets - installing, custom uploads (file)||DannyRaphael||Photo-Based Art||32||08-06-2014 07:06 PM|
|3D layers: copy attributes or replace from file||shift studio||Computer Generated Images||7||11-03-2010 07:47 PM|
|Impressionist plugin: Troubleshooting||Cheryl H||Photo-Art Resources||34||06-15-2009 10:13 PM|
|Resizing images for RetouchPRO||jeaniesa||Photo Retouching||18||09-26-2005 12:20 AM|