RetouchPRO

RetouchPRO (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/)
-   Photo Retouching (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-retouching/)
-   -   Removing banding texture. FFT Filter for MAC? (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-retouching/31830-removing-banding-texture-fft-filter-mac.html)

SBNL 12-14-2010 10:47 PM

Removing banding texture. FFT Filter for MAC?

2 Attachment(s)
Hello All,

My problem/needs:
I want to remove banding patterns on my images that are analogous to the textures found on old photographic paper prints. These images were scanned using a Nikon Super Coolscan 8000ED (Note: the banding is physically present on the actual slide film and are NOT artifacts from the scanner). The slide film, as far as I have been able to determine, was some kind of color Polaroid instant slide film from the 1980’s (PolaChrome perhaps). I have spent a great deal of time researching a solution to my image retouching needs and have found lots of discussion on FFT Filters (Fast Fourier Transform Filter) that may be the answer, but the “free” solutions don’t amount to anything useful to me.

My Options (as I see them... Please correct me if I am on the wrong track):

Option 1: Buy an FFT Filter plugin solution.

Here are my criteria:
  1. Must run on the latest Mac OS X.
  2. Must be able to work with files of approximately 3500 x 5400 pixels (110 to 120Mb)
  3. I would prefer a well documented, user friendly, commercial product that I can buy (from what I have seen out there in the “free” realm, you get what you pay for).
  4. I would prefer a Photoshop plugin configuration (I am using Photoshop CS4).

Here are my specific questions:
  1. Does a COMMERCIAL version of the FFT Filter plugin for Photoshop CS4 on the Mac exist? Yes? No? ( I am not interested in any PC based versions. I have found and tried the free ImageJ application for the Mac and found it unworkable.)
  2. If “Yes” to the above, then please provide the name and contact information where I can buy and/or download demo of the plugin/software.
  3. If “No”, then maybe Option 2?

Option 2:

Upon zooming in, the banding appears to be a regular array of 4 bands of different colors. This pattern repeats in vertical bands all the way across the images. If I can identify the colors of these 4 bands, is there a way to create some sort of “subtraction layer” whereby I can subtract out the bands?

Attachments:
Banding Problem.jpg – Clip from one of the images from the 1986 shoot that I am working with. This shows the banding problem I am dealing with.
Banding Detail.jpg – Zoomed in to the pixel level of the image above at a light area of the image.

Thanks for your time!
Regards,
SBNL

chillin 12-14-2010 11:13 PM

Re: Removing banding texture. FFT Filter for MAC?

Welcome to RetouchPRO.
I never liked much a postage stamp size attachments.
Do you have a larger sample picture?

SBNL 12-15-2010 01:34 AM

Actually I cannot post a larger picture because the file size limit is 100kb (I suppose I can clip a slightly larger version but that won't really help) and if I resize/resample the image to this size, then the banding won't show in the sample. These are screen captures to effectively show the banding.
Thanks for the interest!
SBNL

chillin 12-15-2010 05:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SBNL (Post 281453)
Actually I cannot post a larger picture because the file size limit is 100kb ...
SBNL

I'm not sure what the problem is, but you could lower the quality of the picture.
I have attached a sample below.

Boneappetit 12-15-2010 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBNL (Post 281453)
Actually I cannot post a larger picture because the file size limit is 100kb (I suppose I can clip a slightly larger version but that won't really help) and if I resize/resample the image to this size, then the banding won't show in the sample. These are screen captures to effectively show the banding.
Thanks for the interest!
SBNL

If you are using Photoshop, try saving it using: Save for Web & Devices, and set it for 100 kb or less, It will lower the resolution but no need to smaller the photo.

mistermonday 12-15-2010 07:25 AM

SBNL, your attachment is less than 200 px on a side. You should be able to downsize your original to approx 6 x 8" @ 72ppi or approx 600 x 400 and still save at a reasonable enough jpg quality to still meet the 100KB limit. If you are a Patron member of RP, your limit goes up to 200KB. You can also post a high res image on one of the many free web hosting sites.
As for the problem with your image, it looks more like a misalignment of the channels or emulsion in the image especially since the line colors appear to alternate Cyan, yellow, Magenta. I an not sure that an FFT filter will be much help. Your sample is too small to work with but you might try playing with the channel alignment on a high res scan.
Regards, Murray

SeeSpotClone 12-15-2010 11:04 AM

Hey SBNL,

Postage stamp sized attachments aside, I don't know of a turn-key plugin or action script way to fix it. But it seems that you have banding in a CMY pattern that repeats and looks to be pretty even in terms of how it repeats, my attack would be to set up three channel mixer or curves layers (I think channel mixing might give you a greater degree of control in this instance) one for each color of banding adjust each color to remove the excess tonality, cutting your masks so they only affect the band of color you want them too, you should be able to do this pretty simply with the marquee tool.

Although this is just my first thought as to how I would attack the issue as I read through your post so take it for what it it's worth. It wouldn't be especially quick, thats for sure. I don't know, this may be something that is common to the type of film you shot with so there may be a practical plug in solution to it.

Good luck, welcome to the forum and keep us in the loop if you come up with a solution!

SBNL 12-15-2010 11:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all of the interest and help so far! I appreciate it.
I have re-sized the sample images as you have suggested. As I said before, the banding does not show when you re-size/resample but here it is for you anyway, for what it's worth. The re-sized detail of the banding does show in the zoomed in version albeit not as clearly.
I have also uploaded the full resolution master file as it came from the scanner. I have about 30 files from this shoot that I'd like to work with at full resolution in Aperture and Photoshop to make adjustments, clean dust and scratches, maybe convert some to B&W etc. I have scanned a few hundred of my girlfriend's old modelling photos for a project I am working on and for archiving her history for the kids etc. There were many film types and sizes (35mm, 120, 4x5) but this one particular Polaroid Instant Slide Film shoot is problematic.
If you would like to download and play with the full resolution file, here is the link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?35yxd14sncun53k

The file name is NL101206-0746.tif (I have worked with a PSD version of it also... but this is the master from the scanner)

Thanks again!

SeeSpotClone 12-15-2010 12:28 PM

Well I can tell you my first thought on approach is completely unwieldy as your initial jpg images oversimplified the heck out of that noise pattern and I can't think of anyway to get rid of the noise without losing detail in the image (i.e. gaussian blurring/surface blurring) which you most likely don't want to do. What I did was a gaussian blur at 2 pixels and then used the reduce color noise filter, this gets rid of the overt banding, but again by sacrificing detail. But if this is just an archive your making for your gf's kids and it's going to live online, it might not be the worst thing in the world. Click through for a screenshot:

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/1263/picture21kh.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have a feeling someone more educated about the developing process of this type of film and what exactly is going on here, whether it was poorly processed or this is just something that happens to this sort of film over time, would have a better handle on how to approach it.

mistermonday 12-15-2010 01:08 PM

SBNL, thanks for the high res image. If you zoom in close you will notice that there your image is 3580 px wide (your scan resolution was 4000 ppi) and there are exactly 3580 distinct vertical lines each with a very large amount of noise. This suggests to me you have a defective or poorly functioning scanner. The slide image itself may me very underexposed resulting in the generation of noise upon scanning. However, I do not think your scanner should be doing as poorly as it is. I would recommend you tyra different scanner. I would also recommend you zoom in very close on the scans of other images that look good to you zoomed out and see what the detail looks like at the pixel level.
Regards, Murray