RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Women rules the field?

Old 12-17-2010, 07:15 AM

Women rules the field?

Was just thinking that most real retouch professionals I've seen on the internet seems to be women and I thought that this is one job where women has huge advantage when starting out. Reason being because before you can be a real pro you have to be great at doing/fixing makeup for the models. This is must skill and who knows how to do it and how it should look like? Yes, women does, men don't. Women have been using and experimenting with makeup for years or even decades before they get to retouching, men know nothing about makeups, and by that I mean nothing. Even if you have been shooting models for 20 years, you most likely know nothing about makeup or have no idea how it should be done. So before a man can be a pro, he must learn the secrets of the makeup and it takes time and you must practise a lot using real people. Most men are not up to that challenge and without learning it, you can't be a pro.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:40 AM

Re: Women rules the field?

Hi!
A lot of men are makeup artist some of them working for L'Oreal etc...
I am a woman and I know nothing about make-up (I use make up once or twice a year and people laugh ). I think it has nothing to do with that. I just think and this is my opinion only, that women can cope with a tedious non-show-off job, less rewarding in terms of fame, than men. But I am not really a pro...
Old 12-18-2010, 12:59 PM

I Agree with 4personnen I'm man and arabian man from arabic gulf & I can use makeup for my retouched photo it's very simple ,I'm not gay but I remember When I have one Photo want to retouching I do all what i knew about skin , eyes ,eyelashes & hair .

In that time I saied to my self " What can I do more To have fantastic Photo ? " , I worked on photoshop 12 years , I Know allmost everything on this program , What can i need to know more ? , I see the Goal !!

It's makeup so I went to Mr.Google And searched about makeup , see makeup channels on youtube , learn more about colors and how to chose it .

That how you get it And learn something New .

man or woman it's not matter >>> Your Brain it is what matter now

thanks bro to post this subject
Old 12-18-2010, 05:28 PM

I have read over and over that women see color better than men do. I know for a fact that in every commercial lab I have visited, the people doing the color correction work where all women, so perhaps there is some truth to that?

Perhaps that ability to see the color better has a beneficial effect on their retouching?
Old 12-26-2010, 01:50 AM

It Depends.

Your argument has some credibility. I think the all or nothing rule doesn't always apply. If a male is a make up artist and is trained in that area that his ability to apply make up are going to be better than a woman that isn't trained as a makeup artist would most probably not have the same ability in applying makeup. True men are more prone to being color blind. True women put on makeup everyday but that doesn't mean they are good at it or know what they are doing. I have run across some women that just don't know how to apply it right. Don't assume that all men don't know makeup when it applies to photoshop. I wondered if you looked up Kevin Kuboto tools for doing portrait work in photoshop. He is a guy that has released software that runs programs and he's got many women buying tools from him to speed up their editing on portrait work. Knowing how to apply makeup doesn't give you the tools in photoshop to apply makeup to a picture. Just learning to do editing in Photoshop is an art in itself. I think a great analogy is just because some guy knows how to fire a gun at the arcade and be good at it doesn't give him the real skills to fire a real weapon. There is no kick in an arcade weapon, you don't need hearing protectors, and you don't need eye protection. Just another way to look at this argument. A good rule of thumb is that if you look hard enough you can find exceptions to almost everything. In conclusion I think you have a great argument but there is evidence to the contrary in certain instances. The old adage of women are nurses and men are doctors isn't a fact anymore.

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching