RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to achieve this tone?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2010, 07:55 AM

How to achieve this tone?

Does anyone know how to achieve this tone in PS?
It looks it has been desaturated and...

I'd like to know the right method and steps of it.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...ample_tone.jpg
Old 12-22-2010, 10:26 AM

Re: How to achieve this tone?

It looks dark and desaturated, so I'd say a hue/saturation adjustment layer with the saturation and lightness sliders lowered, but I may be wrong....
Old 12-22-2010, 10:50 AM

If you run your eyedropper tool around the image with one of the views set to LAB, you will see that the shadows have been driven slightly toward green / cyan and the highlights toward green / yellow. This suggests that Split Toning was possibly used. This can be achieved many ways in PS. One of the more effective ways is to use the Split Toning panel in Camera RAW. However Curves, Selective Color Adj layers, and many other possibilities are avail inside of PS.
Regards, Murray
Old 12-22-2010, 11:34 AM

Any specific method?
Old 12-22-2010, 07:44 PM

I still couldn't achieve exactly like the example above.

I was playing hue-saturation to desaturate, then with the curves green channel which it turn to green and added color balance ajusting yellow
Old 12-22-2010, 07:59 PM

it might be very difficult to achieve the same as the image above.

Try using the split toning in camera raw as mistermonday said. Thats what i usually use for this type of effect.

Maybe try a photo filter adjustment layer with a gentle dark green
Old 12-22-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qpixo View Post
I still couldn't achieve exactly like the example above.

I was playing hue-saturation to desaturate, then with the curves green channel which it turn to green and added color balance ajusting yellow

Depends how exacting you want to get. The exacting way to do it is to open this image (in your original post) and your target image (desaturated) in PS. Set color sample points in shadow, midtone, highlight areas, on each image, then pull curves to get the colors to match in the respective areas. You need to know how to pull a curve to add one color to highlights and another to shadows.

Less accurately you can use a Color Balance adjustment layer to add one color to the highlights, another to the shadows etc. Either use the color sample tools as above, or just eyeball it.

If you just want to get close overall and don't care about split toning try this for down 'n dirty. Have this image and your image (desaturated) open in PS. Run the Average filter on this image. Click on the resultant image with your eyedropper tool to set your foreground color. Create a blank layer at the top of the stack in your image. Fill that layer with this foreground color. Set the layer blend mode to Color. This will give your image the average color of this image.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
Depends how exacting you want to get. The exacting way to do it is to open this image (in your original post) and your target image (desaturated) in PS. Set color sample points in shadow, midtone, highlight areas, on each image, then pull curves to get the colors to match in the respective areas. You need to know how to pull a curve to add one color to highlights and another to shadows.

Less accurately you can use a Color Balance adjustment layer to add one color to the highlights, another to the shadows etc. Either use the color sample tools as above, or just eyeball it.

If you just want to get close overall and don't care about split toning try this for down 'n dirty. Have this image and your image (desaturated) open in PS. Run the Average filter on this image. Click on the resultant image with your eyedropper tool to set your foreground color. Create a blank layer at the top of the stack in your image. Fill that layer with this foreground color. Set the layer blend mode to Color. This will give your image the average color of this image.
I tried your first method using the original image by adding curves layer above the original layer but when setting color sample point in shadow, midtone and hightlight it suddently change and replace with the new color. It looks darker. I guess something that I miss and don't understand it yet.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qpixo View Post
I tried your first method using the original image by adding curves layer above the original layer but when setting color sample point in shadow, midtone and hightlight it suddently change and replace with the new color. It looks darker. I guess something that I miss and don't understand it yet.
it sounds like you need to learn curves better. google around for curves and color matching, or curves and cross processing, you'll find stuff.

if you want to be sure you dont change the tone of your image (just color), set your curves adj layer to color blend mode. but this may make number matching more difficult. however, if you first desaturate this image (HSL adj layer), then carefully place your sample points on similar values in each desaturated image (use the color picker readout to be sure) then turn your HSL layer off (so as to allow the color to show again) you should be alright.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:33 AM

Qpixo, why don't you post the original? That way you may get suggestions which are specific to that image.
Regards, Murray
Old 12-23-2010, 05:41 AM

You could try greyscale followed by duotone, tritone or quadtone using subtle tones of greys and greens.
R.