RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

D&B vs blending mode Opacity and A good Mask

Old 12-23-2010, 03:13 PM

D&B vs blending mode Opacity and A good Mask

So in my short time here I've seen a fair amount of love for the Dodge and Burn Tool. Personally I never use Dodge and Burn tool, mainly because its done directly to the picture and after you save it off and close it its done, there's no editing your dodge and burn adjustments. Granted you can make the adjustments on a copy so you can always go back to the original, however you can't go back and just tweak the edits a bit or completely turn off the dodge and burn edits or adjust their opacity etc.

So I can't help but wonder why a bunch of seasoned experts who have more than proven their mettle would use this method instead of using a layer blending mode and layer opacity and a good layer mask to accomplish the same thing. The point of my post isn't to say "your doing it wrong" but to say "what am I missing?" I'm a big fan of non-destructive editing, and like to be able to quickly undo or tweak any photo edits on my projects.

I have only about 8 monthes in using photoshop took college classes for it. Started on cs4 and moved up to cs5, I have not used any plugins and to be honest don't know the value of them yet. Though many of your posts have me intrigued, and eager to experiment. Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Patron

Re: D&B vs blending mode Opacity and A good Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrestor View Post
So in my short time here I've seen a fair amount of love for the Dodge and Burn Tool.
I am not sure from which posts you have found that fair number of people, but from the vast majority I have read, there are not that many who use those tools directly on a pixel layer to do major D&B. Most do it all on layer masks of adj curves or 50% soft light layers. There is only one well known retoucher I know of that prefers to use only the D&B tools, but I think that comes from exceptional skill, confidence, and many years of high end retouching.

Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2010, 03:49 PM

hmm perhaps i misunderstood what I was reading and when people refrenced B&D they didn't mean the direct application to the pixels. That makes a lot more sense. Thanks for clearing things up for me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-25-2010, 06:56 PM

We all do none-destructive D&B, we can save, go back and adjust, do/redo and undo, increase intensity or decrease it and while at it, we tweak it. totally flexible. Oh, we don't use the actual D&B tool. There are many ways to do nondestructive D&B.

And no, you can't get the same effect using just layer blending modes and masks.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching