RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Beauty shot - what i could made better?

Old 12-30-2010, 03:26 AM

Beauty shot - what i could made better?

Recently i was makeing a beauty photoshoot with my long known model Ula. We wanted to make some nice beauty/glam portrait so i found it a good way to make it like this. I shoot it with my Canon 40D at my studio.

This is JPG form RAW (no changes)

And here is my atempt on this photo

What do you think about it? What i could make better on this one. If it will be needed write me a PM i will send a link to RAW file.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_6196_mm.jpg (97.0 KB, 168 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2010, 10:10 AM

Re: Beauty shot - what i could made better?

The texture of the skin looks like it was made by hand. Too big dots on fingers and next to lips and nose. Otherwise looks good
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2010, 10:47 AM

Crater,

Very attractive and creative photography!

I love the concept and how you implemented it...Nicely Done! I especially like the model, the beautiful makeup and the jewelery on the top left. Great production shot!

There are some soft focus spots in the face that may need some skin noise added...the tip of the nose, the shaft of the nose, and there are some soft focus areas in both cheeks. Just balance the soft spots by gently adding in some noise or some skin pore detail. These overly soft spots draw attention to themselves and distract me... and force me to look at them. Just add in a small percentage of skin or noise texture to create a more uniform look.

I like your crop very much...I like how you strengthened the colors in your retouch.

I might like to see some more uniform red color in the lip area...there are many white open spaces that dont need to be there with a professional makeup artist working on the shot...fill in the lips with some transparent red. Maybe slightly fill in and reshape the lips in the left corner where the makeup doesnt reach to the edge of the mouth.

I would love to see some "selective sharpening" on the eye lash area. The eye area is the most beautiful area...and by selectively adding in some 1 or 2 pixel radius sharpening... and using a mask to limit it to the eye lash and the eye brow area...you then force my gaze to the eyes and lashes because they are sharp.

I myself would add in an adjustment layer with just a slight touch of brightness and contrast...and softly hit the eyes and the eye shadow area...that would brighten and saturate the eye area a little more than it is...and draw the viewers attention to the eyes more strongly. The beautiful jewelery to the top left is gorgeous...but its brightness and sharpness and contrast draws my eyes to them to the exclusion of focusing on the beautiful eyes...I want the eyes to Really POP. Its the eyes that create a relationship in an image. By brightening the eye area almost imperceptibly, and making them a bit more contrasty...and sharpening them...then my gaze will rest on them for a few more seconds and I will be drawn into them to enjoy them more. Right now the jewelery on the top left steals the attention away from the most important eyes. The jewelery is stunning! The eyes need some more Pop to compete.

The gaps in the eyebrows distract me a little bit. If you had the patience...I would fill in some of the gaps...this model and this image are so beautiful...I hate to see anything less than perfect eye brows too.

Overall, I love your concept, your model, your props, your attention to visual detail, the gorgeous makeup, and your retouching.

Nice work in so many ways!

Ray12

Last edited by ray12; 12-30-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2010, 11:14 AM

@ray12 - thx very much. that was exacly what i needed to know. I will pay full atetntion on your advices and try to retatch this photo for the effect you are talking about.

To be precise - about jewelery - you mean to shadowe them or highlight them? I understand that you would like to pop up eyes so i think you mean to shadow jewelery a bit and make a biger contrast on eyes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2010, 01:00 PM

Crater,

The brain and eye are always drawn to the lighter/brighter parts of an image after it makes its first impression. So the brightness of the butterfly, and the beautiful (but bright) jewelery, and the brightness of the links and the ribbon...draws attention to itself... rather than back to the eyes of the model. In portrait images...the eyes are the most powerful and preferred connection point for the viewer.

Heres a non-destructive way to approach this correction without destroying any original image detail or the integrity of the underlying image:

For the jewelery: If you made a levels or curves adjustment layer, (pull down on the curve to darken the image... or darken the gamma on levels) then Invert the mask so it is black by using command or control I...then paint on the mask with a small, soft, 20% opacity white brush...then that would drag down the brightness of the jewelery where ever you painted. This would give you complete artistic control on the amount of darkening and where it is placed. You paint on the mask (by selecting it in the layers pallet) and then painting with the white brush to add in the darkening effect...or you can paint on the same mask with a black brush to take away the darkening effect. Its easy and powerful to do...and it gives you complete visual control. The butterfly, the chain links and the ribbon are all beautiful...but a bit hot visually and steal attention from the eyes.

For the eyes: Make up a brightness/contrast adjustment layer and do the same masking technique after you increase the contrast quite a bit and the brightness quite a bit. Paint with a very large, very soft, very low 10% opacity white brush around the eyes and lid area till you can just see that it is brightened and draws attention to itself. You can over do the brightness on the eye highlighting...because later on you can further adjust the overall brightness and balance in the next step. You can make them whatever brightness you choose and completely control it.

To visually balance the image: You can adjust the overall brightness or darkness of the jewelery layer and the eyes layer with the "Opacity" adjustment on the layer itself...this gives you the ability to precisely balance the two correction layers till you are totally happy with the balance effects. Both the jewelery and the eyes are beautiful...but its the eyes of a portrait that should steal the show.

With this method you can still go back in and paint on the adjustment layer masks to continue to lighten and darken any element in the image under complete control...and then globally adjust the final balance with the opacity adjustment on the layers.

If you save this file as a .PSD or a.Tiff or a .PNG...then the layers will always be available for continued adjustment at all times...even after you have saved and re-opened the image. And good-by to having to create selections or loosing time and steps with having to use the history brush.

Sorry for being somewhat instructor like...but I can remember starting out here with retouching myself...and I always enjoy giving back a little by telling why and how. My guess however is that you already know how to do this!

Gorgeous image!! Nice Work!!

Cheers,

Ray12

Last edited by ray12; 12-30-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2010, 04:49 AM

ok, after some sugestions from Ray12 i tryed to retouch once again this photo

old one

new one

and the PSD file if someone is interested what ive done
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2010, 06:20 AM

Hi Crater,

Good improvement on the eyebrows, and overall colour in the face. I have a few things to point out;

1) Lips look a little bumpy, you could dodge & burn them. They also appear flatter in your newer version, presumably due to colouring over them in order to even out the make up, as Ray12 suggested. My attention is also drawn to her front teeth which appear square-like with sharp right angles.

2) Looking at the original I think you could have left more texture in the skin and hand.

3) Yellow colour spots could be taken out on the hand and on her cheek/jaw line.

4) There's a notch in the ribbon which you could straighten.

5) Parts of the greenery, jewelry and nails are a little blurry. Something to consider before retouching an image of your choice.

Hope that helps a little. Nice job.

Rob
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2010, 05:33 PM
Patron

Great Shot! Great Retouching! Impressive Work!!

I think it looks Great but I worked on your latest just to offer a suggestion... Toned down the brightness on the metal, got rid of most of the bright spots around the edges of the picture and in the green...
lightened and fixed the teeth,.... lightened the highlights on the lips

(after clicking the thumbnails, wait a couple seconds for the GIF to change)
Attached Images
File Type: gif SubdueHighlights.gif (198.3 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2011, 05:10 AM

@0lBaldy - greate im realy happy that you show it to me i had some problems to catch the idea of some of the ideas from Roy12 an Robrasil.

Thanks all and happy new year !!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2011, 10:16 AM

Zoom out. It looks soft and blotchy

I like the image or I wouldn't be commenting

Your healing needs practice is very messy all over the place I see traces, repeated patterns, borders of texture (like distinctive lines that separate an area of texture from another)

The "hair/grass" mysteriously disappears in the forehead

But mainly... It looks soft and blotchy - zoom out more when you work and concentrate on the full frame. D&B to get rid of blotches and engage local contrast of the features.

Good luck
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching