RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Extended frequency separation

Old 12-31-2010, 07:57 AM

Re: Extended frequency separation

Too much trouble imho.

Use two duplicates, LOW and HIGH, blur the LOW, use apply image on the HIGH.
Now copy the LOW layer, name it MIDDLE, blur the LOW and use apply image on the MIDDLE.
You can do this as often as you wish and there's no need for Help layers ;-).
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_W View Post
Too much trouble imho.

Now copy the LOW layer, name it MIDDLE, blur the LOW and use apply image on the MIDDLE.

Thanks, I will try that. I assume you use linear light blend for the middle and high layers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_W View Post
Too much trouble imho.

I tried this and you can remove the lower frequencies from the MIDDLE layer but the high frequencies remain . As they are also on the HIGH layer you have 2 copies of the high frequencies resulting in an oversharpened look. The solution is to apply gaussian blur to the MIDDLE layer after the "apply image step"
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraiseap View Post
I tried this and you can remove the lower frequencies from the MIDDLE layer but the high frequencies remain . As they are also on the HIGH layer you have 2 copies of the high frequencies resulting in an oversharpened look. The solution is to apply gaussian blur to the MIDDLE layer after the "apply image step"
For my own education, can you help me better understand what you are trying to achieve that, say, these more common methods don't allow?

http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?th...=5#post9709595

http://www.model-citizens.com/Tutori...paration-1.wmv

Also, did you get that script from Sean? In the meanwhile take a look at this:

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=149
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2010, 01:08 PM

They are some great links - thanks. Especially the first one.

I am not sure I am a position to educate anyone but I will try to explain what was going through my head.

I spent several months trying to smooth skin using blur and reducing opacity but hated the plastic look I got. I then tried reintroducing noise to give a bit of texture but that still looked awful. I then discovered applying a High Pass layer with linear light over a blurred layer, masked and with opacity reduced. This has served me quite well for a few months.

Recently I discovered the High Pass Sucks thread and have tried to understand frequency separation. I love the fact that the combined layers result in the original image but was struggling with the fact that the stuff I wanted to get rid of (spots, pimples, skin grunge) was on both layers. I wanted to create a low frequency layer which was very smooth without blemishes and a high frequency layer with perfect pores (I dont mind healing a few zits etc but i wanted that layer to be pretty much good to go). That would (in my mind) leave all the other data in a middle layer which i could clone, heal, reduce opacity to get the effect I wanted.

The problem was that all the tutorial and actions I have found only create 2 layers - high and low frequency - hence my post.

I hope I have explained that OK

Adam
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2010, 01:20 PM

You could dup the HF layer, set it to normal & clip it to the HF layer.
This will enable a non destructive HF layer manipulation (ae; healing on current)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraiseap View Post
They are some great links - thanks. Especially the first one.

I am not sure I am a position to educate anyone but I will try to explain what was going through my head.

I spent several months trying to smooth skin using blur and reducing opacity but hated the plastic look I got. I then tried reintroducing noise to give a bit of texture but that still looked awful. I then discovered applying a High Pass layer with linear light over a blurred layer, masked and with opacity reduced. This has served me quite well for a few months.

Recently I discovered the High Pass Sucks thread and have tried to understand frequency separation. I love the fact that the combined layers result in the original image but was struggling with the fact that the stuff I wanted to get rid of (spots, pimples, skin grunge) was on both layers. I wanted to create a low frequency layer which was very smooth without blemishes and a high frequency layer with perfect pores (I dont mind healing a few zits etc but i wanted that layer to be pretty much good to go). That would (in my mind) leave all the other data in a middle layer which i could clone, heal, reduce opacity to get the effect I wanted.

The problem was that all the tutorial and actions I have found only create 2 layers - high and low frequency - hence my post.

I hope I have explained that OK

Adam
Okay, I'd just suggest you get a better handle on the basics of separation before you go to additional layers of complication.

As you said, that first link is a good one. Try this:

-Do some basic healing to remove the most offending pimples, scars, etc.
-Make a basic Blur/Apply separation with a fairly tight radius, to lift the pores but not the blotchiness.
-Make a selection of the area you'd like to degrunge (color range often works well for skin).
-Copy that selection to it's own layer from the Blur/LOW layer. It should reside above the low and below the high layers.
-Blur that new copy layer just enough to deminish the grunge.
-Mask that layer as needed.

There are a lot of ways to degrunge. That is one. SkinSmooth and Inverted Highpass is another. The Portraiture plug-in is another. No need to reinvent the wheel until you've explored the existing tools.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching