RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Where do I start.....

Old 01-01-2011, 01:13 PM

Re: Where do I start.....

Delene, Flashtones is right. The whole split frequencies thing is very high end. And to be quite honest, I am sure there are Pro Retouchers out there who got on just fine without for many years. However, it is a very useful discovery and will as Flashtones said, 'serve you well', but later on down the road. Not on the 50 or so images you want to retouch now. You might want to start with Lynda. Just stay away from the quick filter blur the whole image type thing if you want to achieve high end look. For myself I am hoping to cut down the 2 days retouching to about 5hrs. Everyone has to start somewhere and even the best of them did not start off by whipping out perfect retouches in a couple of hours. Since you ended up on this forum in the first place I think you do want to achieve very high end results. Practice, practice, practice you'll get there in the end.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2011, 01:24 PM

Hi Delene, welcome. The best resoults are always the combination of professionals' tutorials and a lot of practice and patience. I belive that 4-6 hours per day are necessary if you think to have a career as a retoucher, live from this. Establish some milestones in your learning process and be persistent in your goals. Never give up, everything can be done, sooner or later. All of us have been starting from a "zero" point, it's just a time and persistence matter. All depends of the hours number you are assigning to this. The global market is not so easy for now, there are a lot of people working in the brand but not all of them are really artists, so I belive that quality is the key factor.
My best wishes and regards,
F
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2011, 02:18 PM

Thank you everyone.

Flashtones - I actually started down this road on Lynda a couple of months ago but found the monthly subscription a bit of a pain because I was trying to cram in as much as possible in the shortest amount of time so as not to waste my subscription!! Maybe I am just being a bit too cash conscious......lol. Maybe I need to invest in one of the dvds of the sessions that they sell instead.

I hear what you are all saying - basically I need to stop rushing, take it step by step, and invest a lot of time into the learning.

But thank you all very much for the advice you have so generously given. It has given me a lot to think about and much more of an idea of how to go forwards.

Kindest regards and Happy New Year to all of you.
D
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delene View Post
Thanks RetWannabe. So now I need to decide, do I want to spend two days on one image and get perfection, or do I want to do the best I can in the time available. Or both. Probably both, dependent on the image/aim.

So the next question is what processes would you consider essential to get the best possible if you had, say, 50 images and only had a very limited amount of time for each one? Going back to Boneappetit's reply, I would say sharpening, cloning and d&b (still got to understand split frequencies so can't add that in here). Am I right?

Edit - just seen your latest reply Boneappetit - thanks for that but I don't speak Spanish unfortunately.
Ok, If you check Omar's link, the one I posted earlier, that is frequency separation...

but if you'd like to try a more quick way for dead line works, maybe the degrunge technique could help ! "Scroll the page down on the link for the express way" http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=213

Last edited by Boneappetit; 01-01-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2011, 04:46 AM

Just had a try of the degrunge technique - I can see that being very useful for the quick works. Thanks!

D

Last edited by delene; 01-02-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delene View Post
Just had a try of the degrange technique - I can see that being very useful for the quick works. Thanks!

D
I'm glad i could help !
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneappetit View Post
Note: "Maybe I wrote too soon, but I understand that you are talking about "beauty retouching" since you mention Calvenize videos and Natalia's DVDs."
Just seen your edit of your first post Boneappetit. Yes, I was originally talking about beauty retouching. My initial query was "Where do I start...." because I want to do everything properly, and I want to learn beauty retouching.

But the whole thread developed from this initial query because, whilst I want to learn beauty retouching, I also want to process ALL images properly - I really want to expand my knowledge. But I just didn't know where to start!

I now realise that I need to make a fresh start from the bottom up and I need to devote much more time to this than I first realised (and I rejoined Lynda.com last night!). But everything that has been posted on this thread has been extremely useful so thanks to everyone for their input.

Edit: Just realised that the link on frequency separation was in English - I misread it and thought it was the spanish one so didn't look at it - off to listen to it now. Thanks.

Last edited by delene; 01-02-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching