RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

jewelry retouch question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2011, 06:33 AM

jewelry retouch question

My experience in retouching does not cover much jewelry retouching so I was wondering if anyone here could shed some light my way with how this look is achieved when retouching jewelry, specifically titanium or silver rings (see link)

http://titaniumera.com/catalog/list?cid=784

Lighting? Filters? What is it that doesn't blur out the ring once the flaws are removed? How does the shine remain so.... shiny and sharp?
Old 01-02-2011, 11:55 AM

Re: jewelry retouch question

Shot in the dark...

Would shooting multiple exposures and combining them using HDR methods gain you any ground?

...or are you talking strictly about retouching a single existing image w/o the luxury having multiple exposures to work with?
Old 01-02-2011, 03:03 PM

Most of the samples look to me like straight illustrations.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:24 PM

I would say all of them are photographs. If you look at the source of light in the reflection it looks like a studio shot. They look like they have been made from the metal with different surfaces (glossy and matte). It is very difficult to shoot objects like this. You have to know how to use and set up lights

And I would say they are converted to a grayscale or B&W in the postproduction. Or desaturated. I do not see to much D&B. And it can be a singe shot.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:53 PM

HDR, combining exposures. Personally, I add slight cyan or blue to some of the tone areas. Not enough for the average viewer to even notice, but it will not look so grayscale. To specifically answer your question, I would suggest a photographer that specializes in jewelry. There is always color and retouching that occurs post photo studio but without great photography it is difficult to have the end result look natural ...and, not waste a lot of retouching time.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:11 AM

Shoot with a big soft light source in studio. Cut out with pen tool. Clone out any imperfections and then use a levels adjustment layers to clean up the contrast by playing with the sliders. Selective sharpen if necessary.

I don't have experience retouching jewelery but I remember seeing an instructional video on it a while back and the simplicity of the retouch was surprising given the results this guy was getting.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:41 AM

Hi there and this is my first post!
I am a Photographer who shoots a lot of Jewelery for ads and magazines ,the look of the shots on that site are pretty much mostly done in camera and done to a pretty high standard,they would appreciate some more post work ,but I imagine that they were done on a somewhat constrained budget.

To light like that ,I would use scrims (large diffused panels) with spotlights going through them ,this will give a broad light source, but which has a nice graduation from dark to light- placed close to the ring.
The focus of rings is very shallow and the focus depth is very limited.
To get them sharp front to back, we would shoot multiple exposures moving the focus with each shot ,these shots are all then combined together in photoshop ,align layers used and relevant bits brushed in via masks, enabling a final image that is of a high resolution suitable for print and sharp front to back.
For the web you might be able to get away with it shot very small in camera (extends the focus) for the resolution is less important.

After this has been done retouching is usually cosmetic-tidying edges of reflections ,removing blemishes,cleaning up etc
Jewelery (especially with precious stones) appreciate quite a high level of sharpening which will make them ping out beautifully
Bad jewelery photography will make the job of the retoucher very difficult, if the rings are badly lit ,as a retoucher you will need to be able to emulate the types of reflections that are done with good photography-I have tried this personally as an experiment and not done a good job (remember I am not a retoucher) and it requires a lot of skill.

Basically good Photography plus good retouching will equal nice work ,achieved in a reasonable time frame and on budget.

Hope that is of some help

Andy

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching