Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

New H&M pictures

Old 01-03-2011, 06:19 AM
New H&M pictures

Who is the photographer behind the new H&M pictures? I find these pictures stunning, and I would love to learn about the retouching and lightning as well. The pictures don't look too complicated, but still very beautiful.

I've tried to break down the picture below, but I'd love some help. To me it looks like a one-light setup with a beauty dish or maybe a ring flash because of the shadows, but there has to be more to it? I guess there is a flash behind the models towards the background as well?

The color retouching looks like the reds in the skin has been desaturated, the black hair and red lips has been enhanced and some dodge and burning...

More pictures can be seen at H&M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HM.jpg (92.3 KB, 221 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2011, 07:58 AM
Re: New H&M pictures

Daniel Jackson
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2011, 06:54 PM

I've also been looking at those photos ever since they came out. I also do believe that it is a one light setup using a beauty dish. That and some nifty retouching.

There can't be a background light because the models are already standing very close to the back drop. They are probably standing 2-3 feet away from the BG. Also notice the shadows behind the models (in the full body shots). Ring flashes don't make such shadows.

A similar setup using a softbox: Please excuse the retouching.

The use of a beauty dish adds contour to the models' faces in the H&M set. I also think they took out the yellows in the skin, boosted the reds, and added a yellow color cast back into the whole image.

Another alternative view is that they used an octabox with a grid. That might explain why the light appears to be from a huge source.

Oh boy, after seeing what Photoshop can do via the forums, I won't be surprised if I'm extremely off the mark.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2011, 05:57 AM

If it's the divided range of H and M that always used to go to the shoemakers elves over in the UK regardless of who the photographer was. From working on Dan Jacksons work about 5 years ago he was very light with the retouching just matching background colours to each other and making the clothes look good. Nice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2011, 08:10 PM

my guess is on a big octabox as well
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching