RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

D & B? I am struggling to believe this

Old 01-06-2011, 10:15 AM

Re: D & B? I am struggling to believe this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_W View Post
Regarding 72 dpi: http://www.scantips.com/no72dpi.html

Edit #2: I'm no professional btw. just a hobbyist :-).
I think this is for a new post. This link talks about video.

In video world you have different pixels:
http://lurkertech.com/lg/pixelaspect/

And I am sure you will agree it will be much easier if we will stay with 72 Dpi (dot per inch) for the screen resolution
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2011, 10:25 AM

WOW....... I am pleased that it looks like the blurred rubber skinned images you see in the magazines seem to be fading out.... There is more call for natural looking skin. Now, I know it is not really natural, cos nobody is that perfect. I have always said when retouching skin, go back to basics. I still do it today, the way I practiced it back in the days before computers.

The other great thing that is starting to happen is...... Fuller figured models are starting to be used, I am now often asked to add weight to a model. and to add curves!

Hooray I say..... And to all you smudgers out there? Well now you will have to learn the real art of retouching.

Retouching is an art form..... And to all you guys that profess to using special techniques and formulas... I never have.... and I now have a retouching studio in London and in Toronto working for some very high profile names, so I must be doing something right.

When I teach people, from the start, I always say.... "I am not going to teach you how to use photoshop. I am going to teach you how to retouch".

Photoshop is a great tool, but there are other tools that do certain things better.

I am fortunate to have owned a lot of platforms and applications over the years..

Kodak Premier systems
Barco Creator
Alias Eclipse
Live Picture
Dicomed Imaginator
Quantel Paintbox
And a few more..... If I had my way, I would love to go back to the old transparency and brush days... But that will never happen...

Digital is a great leveler........ There used to be some great work and there was some crap work. as well as some OK work.

Now there is very little Great work.... A whole lot of OK work... And a lot of crap work.
Typical of todays throw away society.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeretouch View Post
I think this is for a new post. This link talks about video.

In video world you have different pixels:
http://lurkertech.com/lg/pixelaspect/

And I am sure you will agree it will be much easier if we will stay with 72 Dpi (dot per inch) for the screen resolution
While the author is talking about "video" the whole time, what he means is "the computer video screen" (4th section).

But you're right that's a whole different topic :-).
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_W View Post
While the author is talking about "video" the whole time, what he means is "the computer video screen" (4th section).

But you're right that's a whole different topic :-).
Look, this is really not easy to explain. I have bought a tutorial here
http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorials...ro-application
which gave me the explanation. It was more than one year ago, so it was a slightly different tutorial and I do not have time to go through and look for your section.

If you open a video player you are able to change aspect ratio and it means you are changing a resolution. Maybe your video player is your video screen?

I would not be surprised if each brand of the computer would have different screen resolution. So I am happy with 72 Dpi.

This is my last post regarding screen resolution here
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraiseap
What percentage of readers of the magazine will be able to tell which image is which? Also, which one will they prefer the look of?
when the readers of the magazine have some say on the matter then your question will mean something to me.

In the mean time I'll just go with art directors and fashion/photography editors opinions and standards they are making the call after all.

There's no "quick 15 minutes" retouch for advertising.
I can assure you this

It's not all D&B and its not all blur

Period.

Do what works for you and don't use the "regular eye" standard or you'll never get better.

X
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraiseap View Post
What percentage of readers of the magazine will be able to tell which image is which? Also, which one will they prefer the look of?
As I use to prepare a small fashion magazine aprox. 10 years ago for printing (it was my concept, I found an investor, I put people together and I would say I use to work as an art director, fashion editor, photographer etc. but not a writer) I am able to say that the quality of the final print of most magazines is not as good as a final photograph printed via Fuji Frontier for example (classic chemical process). Also you have a dead line ...

Finally, your work will get screwed up by the quality of the whole printing process and If you prepare your image in two different ways of postproduction with the same of amount of precision you should get very similar result.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2011, 12:44 PM

Images do often get screwed up in final printing of the magazines. This due to a variety of reasons. But there are ways of making sure you get the best possible results. Printers are a funny breed, and have been a law to themselves in the past. This has now all changed and you will find they can now be an asset in your final print quality.
We have proven this over the last few years in Europe, USA and now Canada.

We are now showing our results to more and more agencies and photographers, and securing more work.

Sure, there are still things that can happen before final press date, but if you eliminate as many as possible, dot all the i's and cross all the t's. If it still goes tits up. Then the printer either refunds insertion fees, or gives credit on next insertions.

If it is not for a magazine, then they stand to loose the contract! No printers want to see that in todays current market.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftp-Jeff View Post
Images do often get screwed up in final printing of the magazines. This due to a variety of reasons. But there are ways of making sure you get the best possible results. Printers are a funny breed, and have been a law to themselves in the past. This has now all changed and you will find they can now be an asset in your final print quality.
We have proven this over the last few years in Europe, USA and now Canada.

We are now showing our results to more and more agencies and photographers, and securing more work.

Sure, there are still things that can happen before final press date, but if you eliminate as many as possible, dot all the i's and cross all the t's. If it still goes tits up. Then the printer either refunds insertion fees, or gives credit on next insertions.

If it is not for a magazine, then they stand to loose the contract! No printers want to see that in todays current market.
Of course, you have to work precisely all the time and you have to be avare of all posible techniques and tools which will help you to achieve desired result on the medium you will publish ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2011, 01:21 PM

I don't know about the skin at that rez, but I think the hand/wrist/forearm is a disaster from a mile away.

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...0&d=1294308049
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2011, 01:32 PM

Any work I produce now, is sent out with a CERTIFIED proof. Not an epson print that has just been converted in PS.... And not an RGB print people call a proof.

This is an accepted proof by all the large magazines and the printers world wide. I get all the specs from the print house, I work within those parameters. I use the same print profile they use, and output the certified proof together with all the needed documentation. This means that the printer will match or woe betide him... We have won a lot of work using this system. I put it in place in London around 6 years ago... It was one of the first things I installed here in canada when i got here
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching