RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

D & B? I am struggling to believe this

Old 01-06-2011, 01:42 PM

Re: D & B? I am struggling to believe this

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftp-Jeff View Post
Any work I produce now, is sent out with a CERTIFIED proof. Not an epson print that has just been converted in PS.... And not an RGB print people call a proof.

This is an accepted proof by all the large magazines and the printers world wide. I get all the specs from the print house, I work within those parameters. I use the same print profile they use, and output the certified proof together with all the needed documentation. This means that the printer will match or woe betide him... We have won a lot of work using this system. I put it in place in London around 6 years ago... It was one of the first things I installed here in canada when i got here
This is the best solution - to cooperate with the printing house and ask them to get their profiles but it looks like you have some kind of calibrated "proof" printer within your studio?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2011, 01:50 PM

Yep. I can covert and output certified proofs to any spec or standard.....

We have proven to clients that 1 file will not fit all their needs, for example they are going out to newsprint and magazine, or if in fact it is being used in europe or another country. What we provide as well as hi end retouching is a perfect proof that we know is correct, and that any print houses can match! It works, and it puts our clients minds at ease. If we do that, we have them!

I just had a 40 image retouch for one of the big clothing companies here in Canada... They were a little hesitant about not using the retoucher they have used for years. When they saw our work they were sold.... When I sent them the proofs They were amazed. When they got the final printed matter from the print house, they were gobsmacked, 2 weeks time I have my second job from them..... 70 images, 2 hours work on each image! with proofs. SWEET!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2011, 01:56 PM

This is nice to hear someone uses his brain and skills and finally people are listening to him
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
I don't know about the skin at that rez, but I think the hand/wrist/forearm is a disaster from a mile away.

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...0&d=1294308049
I agree, the arm looks horrible to me as well. In some ways this is my point. If the art director for Estee Lauder can accept an arm that looks like that then the subleties of quick degrunge versus pixel level D & B will surely be lost on him/her.

Which gets me back to my original point; I find it difficult to believe that beauty shots in magazines have been retouched using painstaking D & B. I was hoping that someone would give me documentary evidence that these images are retouched using "high end" techniques but I am yet to be convinced that the campaigns I have seen do anything of the sort.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraiseap View Post
I agree, the arm looks horrible to me as well. In some ways this is my point. If the art director for Estee Lauder can accept an arm that looks like that then the subleties of quick degrunge versus pixel level D & B will surely be lost on him/her.

Which gets me back to my original point; I find it difficult to believe that beauty shots in magazines have been retouched using painstaking D & B. I was hoping that someone would give me documentary evidence that these images are retouched using "high end" techniques but I am yet to be convinced that the campaigns I have seen do anything of the sort.
I'm not a beauty retoucher, but I think the obvious conclusion is that to make in in this field you'd better know how to do it right, and how to do it fast, and sometimes to do both.

It's the old adage applies: Fast, good, cheap. You can have any two, take your pick.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Sure, I agree. But, flicking through the January Edition of Vogue UK I notice the following campaigns use images with practically no skin texture.
The whole point of putting make up in the first place is to cover up blemishes and make the skin look smooth. It would depend on a lot of things as to whether one could still see the pores after applying make up. Stage make up is much thicker than normal/high street make up.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2011, 05:01 PM

The arm in the OP image looks a little long .. does it not ? :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2011, 05:10 PM

"I don't know about the skin at that rez, but I think the hand/wrist/forearm is a disaster from a mile away".

Beat me to it. Awful!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2011, 03:50 AM

Thanks to all who have responded. This has been very educational for me.

My 2 take home messages are

1. removing middle frequencies creates an image that looks blurred at a distance. This is very useful information, thanks Der_W. I have noticed that if I reduce the opacity of a middle frequency layer the skin looks good at 100% but loses all texture when zoomed out.

2. The best retouchers use a mixture of techniques, D&B, clone stamp, healing brush even some blur occasionally.

Regarding 2, this answers my original question - these images are unlikely to be retouched using D&B alone. This contradicts some dogmatic statements made on this site about D&B being the only method worth using

eg. http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...technique.html

Last edited by fraiseap; 01-07-2011 at 04:15 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Thanks to all who have responded. This has been very educational for me.

My 2 take home messages are

1. removing middle frequencies creates an image that looks blurred at a distance. This is very useful information, thanks Der_W. I have noticed that if I reduce the opacity of a middle frequency layer the skin looks good at 100% but loses all texture when zoomed out.

2. The best retouchers use a mixture of techniques, D&B, clone stamp, healing brush even some blur occasionally.

Regarding 2, this answers my original question - these images are unlikely to be retouched using D&B alone. This contradicts some dogmatic statements made on this site about D&B being the only method worth using

eg. http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...technique.html
Who said that? Quote?
X
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching