RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

D & B? I am struggling to believe this

Old 01-07-2011, 08:38 AM

Re: D & B? I am struggling to believe this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
Who said that? Quote?
X
Sorry;

Der W said "Besides, in most cases when such a band stop (blurring the low frequencies even more while keeping the high frequencies intact) is applied to heavily, the result can look extremely blurry from a distance (because it lacks the middle frequencies)."

And Der W also said "That's why we don't paint with gray over wrinkles on the high frequency layer, but use e.g. the healing brush to replace the texture. Of course the original is destroyed, but it still has texture.
Dodge & burn is not used to fix everything. "

Heretic said "I personally use a lot of the D&B and some smoothing, it depends on what the client wants."

Creative retouch said "Of course, you have to work precisely all the time and you have to be avare of all posible techniques and tools which will help you to achieve desired result "

And Godmother said "It's not all D&B and its not all blur"
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2011, 09:06 AM

No I meant who said D&B is the only method used?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2011, 09:22 AM

I have just realised that I may have misunderstood the question. If it referred to "dogmatic statements made on this site about D&B being the only method worth using" then the answer is

Oneredpanther said "I see from your disclaimer that you've purposefully not included dodge and burn, presumably because you've not learnt the technique yet.

However, seeing it as "time consuming" is a shame because you are consciously choosing to ignore the only technique which actually contains an element of effort and skill - anybody can seperate frequencies and then mask on some high-pass with varying degrees of success.

Spend some time learning dodge & burn and once the initial pain is over (and it won't really be pain if you love photoshop) then you're set up for life - don't waste time or money buying actions that promise to do the work for you."

Bonappetit said "I agree... Dodge & Burn = the real deal !!! "

and Jayriches said "You shouldnt use the IHP on the whole face just where its really needed and that is mostly to smoothen shadow/highlight spots so i think.
Anything else should be done by hard work with dodging and burning its the best result you will ever get! High End Agencies dont do several hour d&b for nothing. They do it cause it works best and the result is superb!! "

EDIT; Oops, posts crossed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2011, 09:32 AM

I think you are confusing things
I agree with the satement that anyone can blur/use a filter while the skills required to paint a mask are not that common

Results are what matters

X
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
I think you are confusing things
I agree with the satement that anyone can blur/use a filter while the skills required to paint a mask are not that common

Results are what matters

X
I think you are right. I had it in my head that there was a school of thought that all high end retouching should be using D&B alone. On re-reading the thread there seems to be a preference for D&B because of its relatively non destructive nature but probably not to the exclusion of other techniques.

Am I right in thinking that those who retouch commercial shots for a living (as opposed to someone like me who is a photographer primarily and retouches to make a studio portrait more pleasing to the clients eye) will use D&B, IHP, frequency separation, clone tool, healing brush etc etc as required?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2011, 09:56 AM

I'm on the iPhone so this is going to be difficult to write and make my point across.

You use what ever gives you the results you want.

But also keep in mind: you need to dress for the job you want. Meaning, your portfolio should have images to the standards of the clients you want not the ones you have

What you use to get there noone cares.

I have a psd that I want to share but I'm going to wait till the workshops are over to do so not to spoil the surprise

You'll see that is not D&B all OT matters but it does make a difference when used right.

Have a nice day

X
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2011, 10:00 AM

Thanks so much for your time Godmother. It is much appreciated.

A good point about dressing for the job i want (which is fashion, not family portraits )

Looking forward to the PSD

Adam
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2011, 11:00 AM

I've been digitally retouching pix for about 20 years and have rarely used D&B. I always thought it a bit of a sledgehammer approach as masking, cloning, restore and curves get most of my jobs done (seamless comps and montages mainly). I don't do fashion or cosmetics and for the most part dislike the overworked retouching style all too common in magazine ads. However, I am amazed by the high quality of work demonstrated by many on this DB who use tools and methods that I never go near and I'm learning loads from the hair and beauty retouchers. Looks like painstaking work. Each to his own I guess.
R.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2011, 11:16 AM

Exactly R, to each their own. I could never do what do for a living because I don't enjoy it. Also I'd be worried about third world countries competition.

X
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2011, 11:29 AM

This is from real life:

One photographer working for a magazine took a portrait of a famous actress. She was not in her twenties and she got a lot of wrinkles. Of course, he has retouched them. When she saw the final picture, she asked him:

Why did you retouch all my wrinkles? Do you know how hard was to go through my life to get them? ...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching