RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

CMYK question

Old 01-06-2011, 01:37 PM

CMYK question

Hello everyone,

I have a question for the more experienced retouchers here:
Do you do the CMYK work yourself? Or do you send it to the client in RGB and let the prepress people handle it? I know knowing how to work in CMYK is essential, but considering there are a lot of factors that matter when you print, do you talk with the prepress guys and work together? Or do they do all the work? What are your experiences with this matter?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2011, 02:12 PM

Re: CMYK question

Oh how times have changed. A few years ago a printer would have bounced an RGB file back at you. As they used to supply the scans to suit their presses you would have been unaware of the various attributes (screen dpi, USM, UCR etc) applied to your photos. Digital photography and DTP have eased the process somewhat but there are still plenty of pitfalls for the unwary. Personally, I would only work with CMYK files but my clients like RGB so thats what they get! Moreover, many images are now multi purposed and have as much of a life on screen as they do in print. Always speak to the printer beforehand anyway because post-mortems cost money!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2011, 02:12 PM

"Or do you send it to the client in RGB and let the prepress people handle it?"

I have read a comment of someone who said "after this experience I will send them my files in the LAB colorspace next time"

But seriously - it depends on the person in the prepress house. The best way is to get in touch with them and talk to them. A PREPRESS is a SCIENCE

I would suggest to you to find and read some books writen by Dan Margulis.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2011, 03:01 PM

I'm a large format printer by trade - If I'm producing anything on either of my printers, i ALWAYS use a CMYK file. Likewise, I always ask for clients to send me their files in CMYK.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justarookie View Post
Hello everyone,

Or do you send it to the client in RGB and let the prepress people handle it?
I almost always supply RGB files to ad agencies and design firms.

Why? I'm almost never privy to all the uses that the image may be subject to. In theory, its up to the production manager at the agency/design firm to speak to the printers and get profiles optimised for the stock and press' specs. They have people on staff who layout ads etc. who will do the conversion
Giving in the original RGB working space, you know you've given them the most versatile file possible.

If the client really must have CMYK and won't get the profile or tell you the paper stock, choose the 'U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2' profile if in North America.

just my 2 cents.
--Shift Studio.

Last edited by shift studio; 01-06-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2011, 05:22 PM

I would only go with CMYK if you are really sure of what profile the printer is using. If you dont know I would stick to RGB for as long as you can. I work on both sides and the RGB workflow is so flexible. If I design a magazine, flyer etc. I will only convert to CMYK during the conversion to pdf.
What you can do is in photoshop turn on the color proof and gamut every once in a while if nothing funny is happening your image wil turn out just fine.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2011, 09:43 AM

I know how to work in CMYK, have my own certified proofer, so I can be sure that it works in a CMYK space, but at the end of the day, I don't know where or how it's going to be printed. Therefor 99 out of 100 times, I supply RGB files.

And usually they look not very good in newsprint.... prepress is a science.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2011, 09:48 AM

CMYK is the final output color space, its intended for a single, specific device. As such, doing work in CMYK locks you into that one device output which is horribly inflexible! If instead you edit in RGB, you can convert to any number of CMYK (or RGB) output spaces from that master.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift studio View Post
If the client really must have CMYK and won't get the profile or tell you the paper stock, choose the 'U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2' profile if in North America.
Unless its going to a sheetfed press (or a web press that behaves completely differently than the v2 profile describes). Then someone is in a world of expensive hurt!

If you don’t have a profile for the specific printing conditions, don’t covert the RGB data.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
Unless its going to a sheetfed press (or a web press that behaves completely differently than the v2 profile describes). Then someone is in a world of expensive hurt!

If you don’t have a profile for the specific printing conditions, don’t covert the RGB data.
I knew that would get some response, but what if your client demands CMYK files, and doesn't care to hear why thats a bad idea?
What then?

--Shift Studio.

Actually I know what happens to some of my AdobeRGB files when they get to the client. The art director/graphic designer passes them on to the layout artists and they get converted to CMYK U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2, and get haphazardly thrown into various executions without a second thought. You can try to educate people otherwise, but given the massive media buys of large operations, you can't be responsible see every execution through to print.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching