RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Blank layer filter

Old 01-07-2011, 02:18 AM

Blank layer filter

Hey guys
Do you know if there is anyway you can apply a filter to a blank layer, so that what ever that layer was dragged over the filter would be applied? It's for the image through a glass so it distorts (glass filter, or simple blur) the background it's in front of. I have this one bottle that needs to be applied to a load of different backgrounds which are all quite graphic. ideally I want to supply the client with a folder set ideally without instructions.
Any help would be appreciated
Cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2011, 12:47 PM

Re: Blank layer filter

I would write an action to apply the filter. Then it's just a matter of a click to apply it to any image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2011, 08:51 PM

As far as i know you cant apply a filter to a blank layer. Correct me if im wrong but i never happened to succed trying that. Your best choice would be as LonK said...Record it as an action and just do it as a final step with 1 click. Easiest way to go.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2011, 11:05 PM

if I am not mistaken, layer fill @ 50% gray set to overlay or softlight should do the trick.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2011, 08:21 AM

It will Aladdin, but it all depends upon the filter being used as obviously not much pixel data is contained in a 50% grey layer, not really going to be able to produce a Van Gogh masterpiece
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2011, 06:23 AM

Lonk I think you have the best idea and thanks JayRiches for confirming it. I've tried the 50% grey but no effect, but thanks anyway! I can't believe I didn't think of an action. I will keep looking for a different solution but I think that'll be it, if I find anything else I'll post it here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2011, 05:09 PM

If you set up a layer as a smart object you can then apply whatever filter you want to it, by using the replace contents function for smart object layers, you can place any photograph within it without needing to reapply the filter individually to each image. You could set up an action to automate several of the steps for you, setting up the smart object applying the filter and opening the replace contents dialog box. That might be the closest to what you were looking for.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2011, 05:04 AM

Cheers Ratpat13. Just got word they're unhappy at supplying an action. Will the replace contents function work for a different sized background? ie, if I replace the contents will the new content have to be the same size?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching