Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Let's discuss these Mikael Jansson shoots?

Old 01-11-2011, 02:09 AM
Let's discuss these Mikael Jansson shoots?

Hi. Noob to the site here (photographer who does his own retouching). Just came across retouchpro and I've been dying to discuss what might be going on in these photos with people, so I'm gonna jump right in.

I am a huge fan of Mikael Jansson's work and have been really curious in particular about how he put together a couple of shoots I've seen of his in the last couple years. I'm curious to get others' perspectives on what might be going on with both the photography as well as the post, especially if anyone has posted and or assisted for him.

^^ I love how, contrary to a lot of what's going on in fashion photography, it seems he's really allowed the natural lighting to do what it will (with, maybe, fill cards?). Or am I getting it all wrong? Is the light fixed to death? Is the team behind it a huge part of it? What else do people think might be going on here?

^^ In addition to finding the actual mood haunting and interesting, I wonder how he achieved the brown warm color on the skin (in particular in the third picture). There's clearly some desaturation going on, but whenever I desaturate something, it seems to look more "dirty" than warm. It's in addition (or maybe they're the same) to what I would describe as a "film quality" the pictures. Except it's not a kodachrome feel, which seems to be what most people seem to be doing on the net to give their pictures a film feel.

Constantly trying to learn how to better my crafts so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2011, 03:56 AM
Re: Let's discuss these Mikael Jansson shoots?
I like these shots ...

It looks like he uses a natural light with some kind of reflectors (fill light).
The question about postprocessing - you can use (combine) many different steps to achieve this final tone and there is some work on the contrast as well. But you need to see the original file to have a basic point to start with. There is no exact formula ...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching