RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Newb: out of gamut colors and color shift

Old 01-21-2011, 09:05 AM

Re: Newb: out of gamut colors and color shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Numbers never lie.
Sure they do. You are shown numbers in a document but you have no way to get the numbers that went to the output device. You have no output profile (or you don’t know if the output profile was used to make the print, or what CMM was used, or what rendering intent). The numbers with the output device is defined with a profile, but the output device has changed its behavior from what the profile once described. The “right” numbers now produce the incorrect output. There’s a lie in there somewhere.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
Sure they do. You are shown numbers in a document but you have no way to get the numbers that went to the output device. You have no output profile (or you don’t know if the output profile was used to make the print, or what CMM was used, or what rendering intent). The numbers with the output device is defined with a profile, but the output device has changed its behavior from what the profile once described. The “right” numbers now produce the incorrect output. There’s a lie in there somewhere.
Yes, indeed. The comment however was made in the context only of the defined workspace and the representative RGB values. The relationship, for example, between pure black, pure white and in between neutrals should not appear visually to be magenta when viewed on a calibrated monitor viewed in that workspace without Soft Proof turned on. The appearance of the print does have to do with all those things you point out, but I think the 1st step in attempting to troubleshoot the OP's problems is to first determine if what he sees on his display in the workspace that he is editing in, is not grossly distorted.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Yes, indeed. The comment however was made in the context only of the defined workspace and the representative RGB values.
Agreed. But in the context of the OP, the issue is either the display calibration, the output or a combo of both:

Quote:
The printed photo looks very reddish in hue compared to what appears on my monitor for the file. I am not sure if it is the file itself... or the lab screwed it up.
Getting to the bottom of the cause isn’t easy. The URL I just posted attempt to provide the steps to determine where such a mismatch is happening.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2011, 05:29 PM

I have come to the conclusion this photolab doesn't know wtf they are doing. I got my second print from them today. It was slightly less reddish than the one yesterday.

They made me go to the back and look at the monitor in the back and look at my image. The image looked exactly like it does on my calibrated monitior. The guy then went on to tell me that I should have imbedded the the ICC profile as the colorspace in the image instead of using it to soft proof the image.

I asked him why the print doesn't look like the one on his screen and that was his answer...even though it looks correct on his screen. OMG

He also said something about I should have provided a sample of how I wanted it to look.
.... seriously...

Can anyone recommend an online printer?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2011, 05:42 PM

You are correct, most of these labs are clueless about proper color management practices.

I’d give these guys a look: www.pictopia.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2011, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the link. I will check them out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5nap5hot View Post
I have come to the conclusion this photolab doesn't know wtf they are doing.
I could have told you that before you even got started - and I don't even know who you are using. 90% of people are not competent at their jobs - I've come to the that conclusion in the past couple of years after being in the workforce for the past 20+ years, and being a patron of services all my life.
The colour profiling/output is pretty technical and most people don't have a sniff about it.

You could go for the trial and error method with these guys - they print too red - you adjust your file so it needs more red - you know. Kinda painful, but thats par for the course.

Sorry if this doesn't really help - I'm just writing while having a drink and waiting for my wife to put my daughter to bed ha ha.

--Shift Studio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2011, 02:30 AM

@Shift - Yeh, I'd have gone to the lab first personally. Made them aware of what I was after and did they want the job or not. Bingo - they'd then waste their materials/time/money.
Nice folio Shift; lots of 'real world' problem solving work.
R.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2011, 03:36 PM

@ Repairman - thank you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2011, 03:16 AM

Anyone, who speaks italien and lives near to Florence has a chance to take a Dan Margulis's class. He said that this is a last round for these classes this year. More informations can be found here:

http://www.danmargulis.it/
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching