Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Where do I begin

Old 01-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Where do I begin

Being the family guy with the slr. Everyone in the family wants my advise.

A friend of my wife is from Haiti and lost most of his early childhood photos in the earthquake last year. This is the only photograph he has of his mom.(He is the little boy third from the left).

How is a photo like this restored.

Thank you in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Family Group.JPG (95.0 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Re: Where do I begin

re: Where to begin:

To learn the skills necessary to restore a photo of this nature, I would highly recommend you get the book mentioned in the following thread and complete the exercises in it (don’t just “read” it):

Although published a few years back it is still considered by many to be the best of its kind. Check out the reviews at Amazon. As you complete the example exercises you will discover methods that apply to this particular case.

“Getting good” at this craft isn’t a one-week or one-month type of thing. It’s surely not as easy as a few clicks and you’re done, which explains why after nearly 80 views since you started this thread no one has offered any “quickie advice” yet. It isn't a quick fix, that's for sure.

Be patient. If you’re committed and determined, you’ll get there. In the mean time you can use this photo as a starting point. You may want to warn your wife's friend that "it will take awhile."

The first time through you may not be completely happy with the results. Then try again and you’ll see more improvement. In any event I’m sure whatever you do will be greatly appreciated by your wife's friend. Let that anticipation of gratitude overcome any anxiety you may have.

Good luck on your project.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2011, 02:18 AM
Re: Where do I begin

As i am sure you are aware already it will take a lot of time and patience to achieve good results. How ever if you got an editor like the gimp which is free and very powerful for photo editing and restoring. Play about with the heal tools, clone tools to remove marks and dust spots first youtube will be your friend here then just keep persevering and keep much of the image properties as possible. Don't worry too much if you make mistakes you can erase and do again also save regularly and never work on the original saved image instead work on layers again youtube will be your friend here in aiding and teaching you this. Hope this helps and good luck
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching