RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Skin smoothing - modification of degrunge

Old 01-25-2011, 06:13 AM

Skin smoothing - modification of degrunge

First off, this is an attempt at getting a (relatively) quick skin smoothing effect that is more controllable than the IHP (or degrunge) method. Forum members who would prefer to do pixel level D&B on their images should look away now

I was inspired by the HPS thread on MM and the quick degrunge method in the tutorials here. I want a method of smoothing skin without it looking blurred or plastic.

The quick degrunge method is based on having a high frequency layer, a middle frequency layer and a low frequency layer. The idea is to remove some of the middle frequency data and masking it over the skin that needs smoothing. The problems with this are

a) the amount of midfrequency data that needs to be removed depends upon the image but is not easily adjustable

b) removing too much mid frequency data results in the image looking blurred when viewed at a distance.

Here are my steps

1. Make 3 copy layers of the image

2. Identify the radius for the high frequency layer (apply High Pass until just the skin texture shows) - write it down (call this A). Cancel the filter.

3. Identify the radius for the low frequency layer (apply GB untill all the grunge has disappeared) - write it down (call this B). Apply this blur to the bottom copy. Save this layer and label it "Low"

4. Make a HF layer (using the top copy) either by using HP or apply image (see HPS thread for details and actions) - label this "High"

5. Make a bandpass layer out of the middle layer by applying HP at radius B and GB at radius A. Label this layer "Middle"

6. Low layer - blend mode Normal, opacity 100%
Middle layer - blend mode Linear light, opacity 50%
High layer - blend mode Linear light, opacity 50%

7. Add a "reveal all" mask to the middle layer and paint with a black brush to hide the skin.

8. Copy this layer so it is above the layer created in 7 and invert the mask. The image should look like the original now

7. Now the clever bit; make a new adjustment layer - curves and clip it to the top Middle layer (the one created in 8).

8. Now reduce the contrast of the curves layer however you want. Make sure you fix the mid point at 128,128. The simplest method is to make the curve more horizontal by moving the white point down and the black point up. You can, however experiment with flattening different parts of the curve.

I hope I have explained that OK and apologise if there are any mistakes in the text. I will try and post a couple of example images later.

Comments welcomed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2011, 08:47 AM

Re: Skin smoothing - modification of degrunge

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraiseap View Post
First off, this is an attempt at getting a (relatively) quick skin smoothing effect that is more controllable than the IHP (or degrunge) method. Forum members who would prefer to do pixel level D&B on their images should look away now

I was inspired by the HPS thread on MM and the quick degrunge method in the tutorials here. I want a method of smoothing skin without it looking blurred or plastic.

The quick degrunge method is based on having a high frequency layer, a middle frequency layer and a low frequency layer. The idea is to remove some of the middle frequency data and masking it over the skin that needs smoothing. The problems with this are

a) the amount of midfrequency data that needs to be removed depends upon the image but is not easily adjustable

b) removing too much mid frequency data results in the image looking blurred when viewed at a distance.

Here are my steps

1. Make 3 copy layers of the image

2. Identify the radius for the high frequency layer (apply High Pass until just the skin texture shows) - write it down (call this A). Cancel the filter.

3. Identify the radius for the low frequency layer (apply GB untill all the grunge has disappeared) - write it down (call this B). Apply this blur to the bottom copy. Save this layer and label it "Low"

4. Make a HF layer (using the top copy) either by using HP or apply image (see HPS thread for details and actions) - label this "High"

5. Make a bandpass layer out of the middle layer by applying HP at radius B and GB at radius A. Label this layer "Middle"

6. Low layer - blend mode Normal, opacity 100%
Middle layer - blend mode Linear light, opacity 50%
High layer - blend mode Linear light, opacity 50%

7. Add a "reveal all" mask to the middle layer and paint with a black brush to hide the skin.

8. Copy this layer so it is above the layer created in 7 and invert the mask. The image should look like the original now

7. Now the clever bit; make a new adjustment layer - curves and clip it to the top Middle layer (the one created in 8).

8. Now reduce the contrast of the curves layer however you want. Make sure you fix the mid point at 128,128. The simplest method is to make the curve more horizontal by moving the white point down and the black point up. You can, however experiment with flattening different parts of the curve.

I hope I have explained that OK and apologise if there are any mistakes in the text. I will try and post a couple of example images later.

Comments welcomed.
Cool will have to try this....
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2011, 03:35 PM

So you're actually doing a normal split with a mid frequency layer in the middle that you clip a curves adj. layer to?
In what way would this be more efficient than using the "native" IHP and doing the same? The radius in your case is determined, which is not the case with IHP (when done with the Custom filter, Gaussian Blur & High pass) and the strength is determined by either the opacity or your curves layer.

If I just didn't get it, please clarify, otherwise I'll just say that I like the additional curves layer, but stick to the original way of doing IHP for the rest :-).
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_W View Post
So you're actually doing a normal split with a mid frequency layer in the middle that you clip a curves adj. layer to?
In what way would this be more efficient than using the "native" IHP and doing the same? The radius in your case is determined, which is not the case with IHP (when done with the Custom filter, Gaussian Blur & High pass) and the strength is determined by either the opacity or your curves layer.

If I just didn't get it, please clarify, otherwise I'll just say that I like the additional curves layer, but stick to the original way of doing IHP for the rest :-).
Yes, I am doing a normal split with a curves adjustment clipped to the midlle frequency layer. It is not more efficient than native IHP, actually it takes a bit longer. The advantage is that you have more control over the appearance of the middle frequency layer. You can flatten different parts of the curve or just change the contrast of the middle frequency layer. You can also easily see the effect on the final image which is not the case with some degrunge methods.

Anyway, I am not saying anyone has to use this. I am just sharing what I think is a useful method for people to try.

Last edited by fraiseap; 01-25-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2011, 05:32 PM

heres a crop of the original

http://i.imgur.com/kMDSm.jpg

And a crop of the edited version

http://i.imgur.com/PEWEy.jpg

The layers;

http://i.imgur.com/KrdAe.jpg

And the curve

http://i.imgur.com/uOqUJ.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2011, 12:50 AM

it seems to look good but this method is not for serious work, thanks for sharing but I think we need to look at every step start to send.

Please post each and every step involved in this technique.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2011, 01:59 AM

^^ I am not sure what you mean by "serious work" but if you are saying that this method will not be suitable for a fashion magazine with a multi million pound budget then I agree. It is a relatively quick fix but I think is useful for many purposes (used with other methods of course).

As for "each and every step" I have put this in the original post and given links to before and after images plus a screenshot of the layers. If anything is still unclear please ask.

Adam
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2011, 04:46 AM

Serious work is combining of skin soften techniques and this one is suitable to be part of the combination.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumski View Post
Serious work is combining of skin soften techniques and this one is suitable to be part of the combination.

Thank you Shumski. I have not tried this but I guess you could apply this to an image in a very mild form and then complete the image by pixel level D&B. I expect it would reduce the amount of time spent whilst maintaining a natural looking texture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2011, 08:14 AM

Looks interesting still didn't get to try it out have you tried reducing the image and veiwing it at 72 dpi I find many times when I am to heavy between the High and low frequency layer the image appears blurry when reduced. I like the method and with the ability to add another method of control to a freq sep is win....
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching