RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Feedback on Natalia Taffarel's Retouching DVD

Old 01-26-2011, 03:27 PM

Feedback on Natalia Taffarel's Retouching DVD

I have read posts here regarding Natalia's DVD and Nick's Slick Force. I was wondering if anyone has purchased and used Natalia's and could give their thoughts on them, (there is a beginner and advanced).

I have seen Nick's.

Thank you,

Doug
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2011, 05:03 AM

Re: Feedback on Natalia Taffarel's Retouching DVD

Hi ylwdog,

I have seen excerpts of Nick's DVD’s, and some of the resulting images. I have Natalia's (advanced), and the approach/results are different from Nick, as I think they focus on different segments of the business. You will learn new things with both of them. I personally think I prefer Natalia's approach/results, though her workflow is more time consuming, but you will learn to apply some news tricks specially if you are interested into the frequency separation/degrunge techniques. That said I see Natalia workflow too complicated for my needs, but all this really depends of what your goal is regarding the final result and the time/money allocated for the project.

I would like to add, just in case it can be also useful to you, that I started to follow Guy Gowan recently and I’m really enjoying his workflow now. I discovered him some time ago with one of his first DVDs, but at that time I did not liked him as he look too much “simple” for me because at that time I thought that retouching was very similar to magic and I was looking for more spectacular tricks. But know I realize that his apparently simplicity and rational approach is really effective.

Regards,
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2011, 05:14 AM

Thank you. This is extremely valuable insight. I will go view Gowan. There is another retoucher that gets good press- Gry Garness...

Cheers,

doug
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2011, 07:04 AM

Hi Doug,

In my humble opinion either Natalia or Guy are a better inversion than Gry Garness. Remember, just my opinion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2011, 09:40 AM

I have seen both and about 4 or 5 or more others, for me its not about learning someone else workflow but to view pieces of others so I can tweak my own but then I never end up working on 2 images the same anyway.. when it comes to the face I guess I kind of combine Amy Dresser and Natalia Taffarel somewhat. Don't like using the slick clone on the face but works well for parts of the body... What Im trying to say is they are all good but its up to you what you take away from it..If I wanted to do it the exact same way I should just have them do it for me lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2011, 10:41 AM

I think Gry's and Natalia's are the top of the market. The generalist would prefer Gry's as Natalia's is concentrated on beauty, and vice versa.

But not everybody's work/clientele is geared toward the top of the market, and for them, and beginners, I think a more cost effective start would be the fashion/portrait offerings from Chris Orwig at Lynda.com.

Nick's was interesting regarding light contouring and such but I'd steer clear of his skin techniques.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2011, 11:18 AM

I got Natalias DVD at home and i feel like its definitly the best out there right now for beauty retouching and specially for hair/skin/make up retouching! She goes a lot into detail,tells you whats important. There is a LOT about hair retouching, a LOT about dodge & burning with real time dodge and burning for almost 2 hours...
If you already have experience with retouching and would like to go more into deep beauty retouching than Natalia is definitly the right one to chose. I havent watched the others though so i cant say anything about these.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2011, 08:39 AM

Thank you to everyone here who offered their thoughts and time. I have a little experience in retouching now, enough to get myself in trouble ;-)
My main work currently revolves around families, mothers, weddings, that sort of thing- not fashion as of yet. What I am looking to do is learn more than to just "hack" away.

Again- thank you everyone.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2011, 09:28 AM

Than lynda.com tutorials will be the right thing for you to go.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylwdog View Post
My main work currently revolves around families, mothers, weddings, that sort of thing- not fashion as of yet. What I am looking to do is learn more than to just "hack" away.
Hi agin doug,

Yes, I think JayRiches is right, for what you are looking for probably Scott Kelby (kelbytraining.com) or Chris Orwig (lynda.com) will be the best for you.

Good luck,
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching