RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What did I do??!!

Old 01-27-2011, 07:15 AM

What did I do??!!

Hi

While editing a portrait today I wanted to merge a group, so I wanted to press ctrl + shift + E. But in stead I accidentally pressed ctrl + alt + shift + E which apparently meant "stamp visible" (see below)

http://s4.postimage.org/7yleqi2q5/stamp.jpg

What the devil did I do? This was excactly the effect I've been trying to achieve (though it's too much here since I haven't tweaked it yet). What is "stamp visible?" I've been trying to Google it but didn't really understand the explanations.

Help appreciated :-)

Bo
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2011, 07:47 AM
Patron

Re: What did I do??!!

Ctrl+Shift+Alt+E creates a new layer into which it merges all layers which have visibility turned on.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2011, 07:48 AM

It takes all the visible layers and combines them into a new layer.

I find it very useful if you have done some work on several layers and want to apply an adjustment to all of them. You could flatten the image but then you can't go back and make changes to one of the earlier layers. CTRL+ALT+Shift +E has the same effect as "flatten image" but keeps all the earlier work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2011, 07:50 AM

Howdy, basically, all you have done is made a new layer in which all the existing and visible layers have been merged together. Basically the same as what you would end up with if you saved the image out as a jpg.

Doh - way too slow!

Last edited by TPF; 01-27-2011 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Just pointing out others answered before I did :)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2011, 08:02 AM

Hi again

I wrote something wrong: What I wanted to do was press ctrl + alt + E, but in stead I included shift which gave me the "stamp visible" result. I'm aware of the ctrl + alt + E feature that you're talking about (it was what I tried to do), but the thing is that the "stamp visible" gave a completely different result. It made a very painterly layer on top of my group so it actually didn't just merge the layers on top of the group - something else happened as you can see in my link to the picture, but what?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Patron

DjBeau, if you had certain layers turned off, they would not be included in the merge and if some of them were adjustment layers, then those adjustments would be the difference.
If all of your layers were turned on then the different results would be explained as follows:
When photoshop has a stack of layers with complex adjustment, particularly if you stack adj layers on top of other adj layers, the file may be flattened (merged) differently by PS than by yourself. With those particular images you will get different results depending on the sequence you use vs what PS uses. The other thing you should be aware of, is that with hi res, large files, that use adj layers, PS creates a preview that may actually look different than when the adjustment is actually applied during flattening or merging down. It only occurs with certain adjustments and then only when those adjustments are at certain extremes.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2011, 08:36 AM

That's probably it - thanks :-)

I'll try and play around with it 'cause now I can't make it do it again :-(
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjBeau View Post
Hi again

I wrote something wrong: What I wanted to do was press ctrl + alt + E, but in stead I included shift which gave me the "stamp visible" result. I'm aware of the ctrl + alt + E feature that you're talking about (it was what I tried to do), but the thing is that the "stamp visible" gave a completely different result. It made a very painterly layer on top of my group so it actually didn't just merge the layers on top of the group - something else happened as you can see in my link to the picture, but what?

I dont think ctrl+alt+e does anything in PS (but does open an alternative editor in lightroom), ctrl+shift+e merges all visible layers but does not create a new one. Ctrl+shift+alt+e merges all visible layers into a new layer and leaves all the old layers intact. I cant open the link where I am so i am sorry if I have missed something.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2011, 09:45 AM

I'm going to guess that you had a layer that was low in your layer stack selected. So when you stamped visible, it combined all of your layers into to a new layer above the layer that was selected. Probably underneath all of your adjustment layers. So you stamped all the layers into one, and then had all the adjustment layers on top of the stamped visible layer ... thus increasing the effect that the adjustment layers have on your stamp visible layer. Make sense?
A screen capture of your layer stack could help us figure out if that's what's going on.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Patron

Yes, thehjj's theory is also a very likely explanation as that can very easily happen.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching