RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Who is the BEST retoucher here?

Old 01-27-2011, 10:27 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Re: Who is the BEST retoucher here?

Good point, Lyle, though that would be the most SUCCESSFUL retoucher. I want to know who's got the best CHOPS, moneymaking or not.

It's OK if the various RetouchPRO LIVE trainers join in; they're like honorary RP members! I already have a page for Gry on my site, but the invite's still open for the ezine feature. Gry, if you see this, we should probably update your promo pages with new stuff.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2011, 03:46 AM

Instead of the BEST, why don't you do a feature on a different retoucher in each ezine, or a different retouching house.
Think you'll come up against the age old problem of the fact it's peoples livelihoods so they'll be noncommittal about the techniques they use.
Gareth
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2011, 08:23 AM

I believe this makes NO sense. To answer this question "the way you want people to answer" is to be selfish, egotistic or just give a very close minded answer, is like looking at it thru a straw. There are a lot of great retouchers out there (i'm not one of them). The best one for you doesn't have to be the best one for me, that's why I'm not naming anyone. And as Lyle said, I guess the correct question is who makes the most money, which in fact does not mean that he/she is the best.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2011, 09:40 AM

Check modelmayhem.com the ports do tell the true story....
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2011, 09:54 AM

http://artbuyersbible.blogspot.com/
Try this link.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Patron

Gareth, thanks for the link. That is some incredible work! Do any of these involve RP members?

Now, my original post was half tongue-in-cheek and half serious. I was curious to see how members would respond to such a query, but everyone's much more modest than I expected!

By virtue of his sig I see Boneappetit (Charles) is doing both post-processing as well as retouching and other creative editing, so he's the best retoucher on this thread so far.

I'm not trying to uncover proprietary techniques, I just want to feature before-and after work with a short bio and help plug a RP member's business. Very simple. See issue #12 of my ezine for an example of a retouching challenge involving RP members. That was fun.

So if you feel you do a decent job at retouching photos and want a shot at some free advertising, show me YOUR work!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
Gareth, thanks for the link. That is some incredible work! Do any of these involve RP members?

Now, my original post was half tongue-in-cheek and half serious. I was curious to see how members would respond to such a query, but everyone's much more modest than I expected!

By virtue of his sig I see Boneappetit (Charles) is doing both post-processing as well as retouching and other creative editing, so he's the best retoucher on this thread so far.

I'm not trying to uncover proprietary techniques, I just want to feature before-and after work with a short bio and help plug a RP member's business. Very simple. See issue #12 of my ezine for an example of a retouching challenge involving RP members. That was fun.

So if you feel you do a decent job at retouching photos and want a shot at some free advertising, show me YOUR work!

Ha, plugs, your comment really takes me by surprise, and I really appreciate your words, but I still on the "rookie learning level", besides, I'm not in competition with no 1 but myself. I'm just a Ps fan, and have received tips from at least 8 or 9 pros here and there, which in fact I consider the best retouchers that I know of. There must be hundreds that I don't know.

Again, I appreciate your comment but "the best retoucher title" don't quite fit.

Ps: I'm a musician not a retoucher !

Last edited by Boneappetit; 01-28-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2011, 02:10 PM

[QUOTE=plugsnpixels;284793]Gareth, thanks for the link. That is some incredible work! Do any of these involve RP members?

I worked for a couple of those places and I know this site crops up from time to time in kitchen chat. You'll find most of them will be unwilling to show before and afters, I know I am.

Gareth
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Patron

Charles, you're the best •so far•, and you didn't purposely sumbit ;-). Maybe as the weekend comes on more people will step up and show their work. If not, I find it a bit odd that nobody on RP is doing any retouching work worth showing after getting all this advice. Or maybe they are but don't want anybody to know about it (??).

Gareth, I don't intend to pursue the artbuyer's folks; I prefer people be proactive about promoting their work. The invitation is open for anyone interested. And I'll sweeten the deal: I'll also post free ads in my Services Directory for the top retouchers (I'm a little short in that category, ha!).

Now, I can see why those folks may not show the original elements included in their final works, but why would a portrait retoucher (for instance) not show the original? The whole point of promoting that particular type of service is to show the major improvement achieved using one's retouching skills. In fact, anyone who can improve upon an original image should be proud to show the before-and-after results. Just showing a final piece does not have the same impact because there is no contrast.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet01 View Post
I'm also really digging this link. The work there and linked to is inspiring and humbling.

--Shift Studio
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching