RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

avoiding noise using highpass sharpen?

Old 02-06-2011, 11:49 AM

Re: avoiding noise using highpass sharpen?

i became quiet curious as i've red all your thread. Is the HP you apply differ from the product you apply it on? What is the average? Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
So to make sure I am understanding you correctly, the work flow for fading a high pass layer to color would be:
1.) Create a selection and jump it to its own layer. Run HP filter. Change the blending mode for the HP layer to soft light
2.) With the HP layer targeted, choose image> adjustments> desaturate. (Command Shift U)
3.) Then immediately go to edit>fade and choose color for the blending mode.

Is this correct? Thank you, Jonas.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulaoperator View Post
i became quiet curious as i've red all your thread. Is the HP you apply differ from the product you apply it on? What is the average? Thank you.
I am not quite sure what you mean. It's a separate layer if that is what you mean with the blending mode for the layer changed to usually softlight, but sometimes to overlay or linear light, depending on whether I want a stronger effect. If by average, you are asking what is the radii for the HP, that depends on the res of the image and how strong i want the sharpening to be. I usually choose a radii of between 10 to 30 and back off the effect by masking or lowering the opacity of the layer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2011, 01:31 PM

Yes the separate HP layer above all layers.Wouldn't just normal sharp filter do a job on the soft blend mode layer?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2011, 02:38 PM

A normal sharpening filter wouldn't result in the 50% gray layer with the amplified high frequencies, therefore "Soft Light" wouldn't work like it does with high pass :-).

But I guess your question was more based on why use high pass on "Soft Light" and not a standard sharpening approach with e.g. USM?
I won't go into too much detail here as this'll be way too confusing, but the blending modes from "Overlay" to "Vivid Light" use multiplications instead of additions in their math, therefore the results from using these modes will be different from the traditional sharpening (which uses additions).
High pass is just easier to work with these blending modes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2011, 02:54 PM

I don't have the technical knowledge of Jonas, but from a visual standpoint, softlight didn't work when I tried duplicating a layer, setting the blending mode to soft light and running unsharp mask on it. The hue shifted radically toward warmer colors and the layer looked much better when I put it back to normal blending mode.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2011, 03:28 PM

I missed 50% grey layer to be mentioned here Der_w?! Was it HP layer? confusing....
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2011, 03:58 PM

It is easy to reduce or eliminate the color artifacting after the procedure you describe by setting your history to a locked state, before the effect implementation. Go ahead and flatten the image and fill with History in a color mode. Your original color will replace your sharpened pixels but the added detail will remain.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2011, 10:59 AM

Sorry to be confusing!

Yes, applying the high pass filter will result in a layer that has 50% gray on all the lower frequencies (areas without rapid transition) and detail on the higher frequencies (areas of rapid transition), that's what I meant when I wrote about the 50% gray layer.

Daygraphics tip will also work (again, so many possibilities in Photoshop :-)), but is a little more destructive and doesn't allow the use of e.g. Smart Filters.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching