RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

avoiding noise using highpass sharpen?

Old 01-29-2011, 03:42 PM

avoiding noise using highpass sharpen?

I like to do a highpass sharpening for productshot retouching. I copy the product to its own layer, set the blending mode to softlight and run the highpass filter on it. I am wondering how to avoid some of the color artifacting of this method? I seem to remember that you could go to edit > fade filter and change the blending mode to luminosity immediately after running the filter and that will prevent color artifacting. Is that correct? Suppose I forget to do this step immediately after running the filter. Then how do you deal with the color artifacting?

Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2011, 05:25 PM

Re: avoiding noise using highpass sharpen?

did you try if desaturating the high pass layer works out for you?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2011, 11:22 PM

Is there a particular reason you want to use high pass sharpening as opposed to another method?

All you can really do is restrict the highpass to lower intensities to try and minimize the artifacts. Otherwise you can brush in a mask by hand.. but I wouldn't really recommend that.

If you're having a problem with color artifacts when you sharpen, you might try duplicating your image, converting to LAB mode, and running smart sharpen or unsharp mask -only- on the L channel. This will sharpen your image -without- changing any of the color information. You can then duplicate that layer back to your original image. (you can also convert the image you are working on to LAB and switch back when you are done, but I prefer to use a duplicate).

It's easy to set up an action to do this for you, you can even tell it to stop and ask you what settings to use on your sharpen if you'd like.

Kyle
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2011, 12:00 AM

After creating your highpass layer, you could also create a merge all to new layer, and then set the blending mode of this layer to Luminosity.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2011, 04:12 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try them out.

I had been using the highpass to sharpen because I liked the way it exaggerated surface texture on products. I was then masking out where the colors got too extreme.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2011, 04:55 AM

Did you already try desaturating (preferably faded to "Color" mode)?

Another idea would be to clip the high pass layer to an adj. layer in "Luminosity" mode (screenshot attached; I upped the saturation there just to show what the clipping does - applying the changes in "Luminosity" mode only ;-)).

To prevent noise you could also make a band pass of the high pass by simply blurring it a little (just as much to get rid of the noise of course).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg high.jpg (99.8 KB, 95 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_W View Post
Did you already try desaturating (preferably faded to "Color" mode)?

Another idea would be to clip the high pass layer to an adj. layer in "Luminosity" mode (screenshot attached; I upped the saturation there just to show what the clipping does - applying the changes in "Luminosity" mode only ;-)).

To prevent noise you could also make a band pass of the high pass by simply blurring it a little (just as much to get rid of the noise of course).
Thank you, Jonas. Why fade the desaturation to color and not to luminosity? I really like your suggestion to clip the high pass layer to an adjustment layer set to luminosity. That is working out nicely.

Last edited by Caravaggio; 02-04-2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2011, 05:04 PM

If you fade the desaturation to "Luminosity", you'll just take the luminosity of the desaturated version (and the high pass layer will still stay in color).
Fade it to "Color" and you'll just take the color (=none) and keep the luminosity of the original (the normal desaturation also changes luminosity slightly, that's why "Color" is most of the time preferable).
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_W View Post
If you fade the desaturation to "Luminosity", you'll just take the luminosity of the desaturated version (and the high pass layer will still stay in color).
Fade it to "Color" and you'll just take the color (=none) and keep the luminosity of the original (the normal desaturation also changes luminosity slightly, that's why "Color" is most of the time preferable).
So to make sure I am understanding you correctly, the work flow for fading a high pass layer to color would be:
1.) Create a selection and jump it to its own layer. Run HP filter. Change the blending mode for the HP layer to soft light
2.) With the HP layer targeted, choose image> adjustments> desaturate. (Command Shift U)
3.) Then immediately go to edit>fade and choose color for the blending mode.

Is this correct? Thank you, Jonas.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2011, 03:57 AM

Yes, that's correct :-).

But as said, the fade is not necessary.
If you do it however, you'll have the same effect as clipping the high pass layer to the "Luminosity" layer (the second method I posted).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching