RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

preserving wall texture

Old 01-31-2011, 12:58 PM

preserving wall texture

For this photo of a wall I had to extend the wall to the right while preserving wall texture. The photo is very high res so the difference in wall texture shows and I have lost the texture although you probably can't tell in the low res attachments. I basically copied and pasted parts of the wall that were a fairly good match and put curves adjustments on them to get them to match the luminosity better. I also used the clone stamp, healing brush and also painted in parts and added a softlight noise layer. I tried doing a frequency separation, but didn't get good results. The high frequency layer seems to bring in the right texture, but undesired color and tonal information as well.

I would like to know if there is a way to copy and paste wall texture over what I have already done? It took me hours to get this mediocre result. It would be so easy if there was a way to just paint in the missing wall with the paint brush tool and add a separate layer that just copied the texture. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.jpg (35.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg after.jpg (30.2 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Caravaggio; 01-31-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2011, 02:30 PM

Re: preserving wall texture

Here is how I would have attacked the problem
-frequency separate so the low frequency is completely soft
-make a selection of the wall colour you need on the low frequency, copy to new layer
-transform (stretch) that layer to the right
-replace the window with wall texture on the high frequency layer (clone, or patch, or copy/paste)
- tweak as necessary

this doesn't directly answer your question, but the techniques suggested can be applied along with what you've done.

hope it helps.
--Shift Studio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2011, 02:57 PM

Option - Consider replacing the whole wall not just the window. 1) Spend a bit of time matching the wall colour gradations exactly using flat colour and gradation masks. 2) Add grain that matches the wooden table. 3) Isolate the good wall texture and repeat as many times as necessary to cover the area (rotate and scale to randomise the effect). 4) Make a selection of the texture layers and apply curves through the mask to darken or lighten the texture. Works a treat!
R.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repairman View Post
Option - Consider replacing the whole wall not just the window. 1) Spend a bit of time matching the wall colour gradations exactly using flat colour and gradation masks. 2) Add grain that matches the wooden table. 3) Isolate the good wall texture and repeat as many times as necessary to cover the area (rotate and scale to randomise the effect). 4) Make a selection of the texture layers and apply curves through the mask to darken or lighten the texture. Works a treat!
R.
Replacing the entire wall is not an option in this image because the image I attached is just a small detail from a much larger image. (I can't post the larger image because I don't have permission from the client.) The rest of the image is of a much larger wall that it is blocked or interrupted by sofas, chairs, etc. There are also lighting scones on the wall making the wall tones and color very uneven and splotchy. Compounding the difficulty of the retouching is that most of the wall is lit by incandescent, artificial light and the section of the wall shown in my attachments is lit by daylight. I am trying to remove the daylight and make the whole room look like it is lit by incandescent light.

Shift, your idea sounds good and I am now playing with the image trying to achieve a result. I am having difficulty because the wall is splotchy and unevenly lit so it is hard to find a good part that to copy, paste and free transform from the low frequency layer.

I think I may be better off just sampling colors and painting them in for the missing wall on a separate layer above the low frequency layer and then copying parts of the high frequency layer and pasting them above the high frequency layer and changing the blending mode to soft light. Not sure about this, however.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2011, 04:11 PM

Sounds like a good earner!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post

I think I may be better off just sampling colors and painting them in for the missing wall on a separate layer above the low frequency layer and then copying parts of the high frequency layer and pasting them above the high frequency layer and changing the blending mode to soft light. Not sure about this, however.
Yes, for the low part - good idea (but first maybe your GB wasn't enough to remove the blotchiness?)

For the high part (texture), you need to replace the window's hf with the wall's hf, not put above.
Its easy to do, not so easy to explain.
If you don't figure it out, I will help more.

--Shift Studio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift studio View Post
Yes, for the low part - good idea (but first maybe your GB wasn't enough to remove the blotchiness?)

For the high part (texture), you need to replace the window's hf with the wall's hf, not put above.
Its easy to do, not so easy to explain.
If you don't figure it out, I will help more.

--Shift Studio.
Thanks, Shift. Well, I need to preserve a certain amount of blotchiness to match the rest of the wall which is why I thought of handpainting it in.

I am copying and pasting bits of wall texture from the high frequency layer and moving them over the window. I am then running the highpass filter on the copied layer and changing the blending mode to either softlight, overlay or linear light depending on how much texture I want. Does that sound like a good method or do you have another way?

Last edited by Caravaggio; 01-31-2011 at 05:30 PM. Reason: accuracy
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2011, 04:54 PM

I can't be certain (because I don't have access to the full-res image), but I think the blotchiness could/should be contained in the HF layer by using a significantly larger Gaussian Blur when you do the frequency split.

Try that. Otherwise, if you are getting good results, continue.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching