RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Where to Start?

Old 01-31-2011, 06:56 PM

Where to Start?

So, I'm tired of paying for my photos to be retouched. I don't mind so much the paying, but I hate to wait weeks to get them back and when I do get them back a couple of more weeks to fix what I found wrong.

With that said, Im getting into doing my own retouching. What do I need to get started besides patiences and practice?

Advice will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2011, 03:04 AM

Re: Where to Start?

What sort of photgraphy do you do? What sort of retouching do you require?

As a photographer myself I am in a similar situation as there is no way I could wait weeks for a photograph to be retouched and, for most of my work, it is not cost effective to pay a professional retoucher.

There is a lot of information out there (and a lot of misinformation) so a clear idea about what you are after will allow people to steer you in the right direction.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraiseap View Post
What sort of photgraphy do you do? What sort of retouching do you require?

As a photographer myself I am in a similar situation as there is no way I could wait weeks for a photograph to be retouched and, for most of my work, it is not cost effective to pay a professional retoucher.

There is a lot of information out there (and a lot of misinformation) so a clear idea about what you are after will allow people to steer you in the right direction.
Thanks for reminding me.

I'm currently doing a lot of beauty and fashion photography.
I love the results I been getting with my current retoucher and I pay him well, but the turn around is way to long and now the profit margin is not there. I use to shoot a lot for free to establish my portfolio, so I didn't mind. But I'm not shooting for free anymore and thus I can't continue to pay the fees if I want to make some money. I would use a pro retocher if the Jobs are big enough but for simple portfolio building picture .. I can't do it.

Thanks for the help ..
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2011, 09:05 AM

OK, try these for starters

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=61

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=316

http://web.me.com/joelgrimes/Joel_Gr...Smoothing.html

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=213
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2011, 09:40 AM

What kind of retouching does he do?

I am quite surprised that you don't do it yourself. If you pay him then it is probably worth going online or purchasing plenty of tuts. Gry Garness, Amy Dresser e.t.c Books.

Lynda.com have a good portrait retouching vids, there are plenty of them around.

You don't have to pay as there are plenty of resources. Just type in Beauty retouching into google.

If you pay him, then buying some tuts is worth it in the long run, you just have to have the time...

D
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2011, 09:42 AM

Would you mind posting a link to what he has retouched for you??
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ManWithNoName_ View Post
What kind of retouching does he do?

I am quite surprised that you don't do it yourself.

------------

If you pay him, then buying some tuts is worth it in the long run, you just have to have the time...

D
Not necessarily so.

I do my own retouching but am nowhere near as good as the professional retouchers. If the image was important I would pay a good retoucher to do it. Photographers often overestimate their own retouching abilities (just as the general public overestimate their own photographic skills).

PS I was not including you, Darius, as one of those photographers, your work is excellent.

Last edited by fraiseap; 02-01-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2011, 10:16 AM

I suppose if I could afford it and work closely with one I might use them, but ultimately I would want to do it myself if I had the skills...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2011, 03:25 PM

I love people photography but I'm even more interested in retouching. For me, the original shot is a sketch and the retouching is what turns it into a complete image. I think I do a fairly decent job retouching photos but I'm still a bit slow and not yet near the level of the real pros. I've only been at it for a short time though.

With the right software (mainly photoshop) you can absolutely do retouching yourself. However, expect to invest a significant amount of time and a bit of money. Lynda.com and Kelby training both have some very good tutorials to get you started. There are also many free resources and youtube videos.

It takes time, experience and tons of practice. Short term, things may take longer and seem to cost more. Longer term, you may find that you can build enough skill to do most retouching yourself and only send out a small portion to a more skilled pro.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2011, 04:34 PM

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys. I mainly paid because I don't feel like I have had the right tools for the job or enough experience for the images. I have been satisfied with what he has done, mainly because I know I couldnt achive those results.

He has turn a good image into a great image .. He has reshape faces, noses, necks, hair, etc a slight bit to make it better. He has fix makeup and enhance it aswell .. i just dont have that time or skill level.

I was mainly asking about the tools for the job rather than the tuts. I'm looking for natalia t's tutorial, but not sure if that's going to help me out.

Thanks guys ...

PS I love shortcuts and fast work, probably the reason why Im not retouching ...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching