RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Does this look pink to you?

Old 01-31-2011, 09:20 PM

Does this look pink to you?

Alright, this is kind of a strange question, but try and bare with me here. (Also... if this is posted in the wrong section, I apologize and feel free to move it to where it belongs.)

I have a shoot that I did with a ballet dancer in the park. I had an idea of what I wanted some of the shots to look like as far as post processing is concerned, but I'm having a really tough time achieving the look I'm trying to go for.

I was just casually looking through a blog today and I came across an image that is processed to a similar effect that I am trying to achieve.

http://lookbook.nu/look/1539776-Wesley-the-Owl

When I first look at the image I feel like I'm seeing kind of a pinkish cast (along with something else). The longer I look at it, I start to wonder if I'm actually seeing pink, or if I'm just seeing pink because I *want* to see pink and the color of the carpet and lantern are lending to the illusion that I'm seeing pink, haha.

So question 1... does that look pink to you?

Second question... how exactly is this achieved? And before people start simply shouting the words "Cross-processing" at me... that's such a general answer (to me anyway), that it still doesn't get me any closer to what I'm trying to do, haha.

If it *is* simply cross-processing, a more detailed answer would be appreciated, because I've been messing with my images for 2 days now and I'm still not getting what I want.

I've been playing with contrast levels, vibrancy/saturation levels, blending modes...etc, etc, etc, but I'm missing something. ::huge sigh::

I'm not by any means a photoshop guru (which is why I've come to you fine people ) and I feel like at times that I'm almost there... but not quite.

And I *know* there are a lot of people that *hate* this look, however, I'm not trying to go for this *exactly*... I'm going for something slightly less severe, but I know if I can at least *understand* how this is done... I will be able to figure out how to do what it is *I'm* trying to achieve.

And I guess I have a 3rd question, which is... if that is not, in fact, a pinkish cast that I am seeing... is is *possible* to achieve a similar look *with* a pinkish cast?

Thanks for your help in advance!

(If any of this was confusing, please feel free to ask for clarification)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2011, 10:29 PM
Patron

Re: Does this look pink to you?

The image looks very much like it has been Split-Toned. If you have Photoshop, open the image in Adobe Camera RAW. Go to the Split Toning Panel. Move the Highlights Hue slider somewhere in the yellow / orange area and then drag the saturation slider to the right, say to mid way as a starting point. Next move the Shadow Hue slider to where the blue turns magenta and move the saturation slider to the right. Play with the saturation amount and then play with the balance slider to shift the effect more toward one color or the other. Usually the highlights are forced toward the yellow / orange hue and the shadows are forced toward blue / cyan. However for this image the shadows have been forced toward Magenta (or as you call it pink). Give it a try.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2011, 10:50 PM

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2011, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
The image looks very much like it has been Split-Toned. If you have Photoshop, open the image in Adobe Camera RAW. Go to the Split Toning Panel. Move the Highlights Hue slider somewhere in the yellow / orange area and then drag the saturation slider to the right, say to mid way as a starting point. Next move the Shadow Hue slider to where the blue turns magenta and move the saturation slider to the right. Play with the saturation amount and then play with the balance slider to shift the effect more toward one color or the other. Usually the highlights are forced toward the yellow / orange hue and the shadows are forced toward blue / cyan. However for this image the shadows have been forced toward Magenta (or as you call it pink). Give it a try.
Regards, Murray

Very useful tip here Murray. Most people think that split toning is just for B&W images (and most of the info in the web applies to B&W) but applying to a color image can give some really nice effects.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching