RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

i need help correcting skin tones.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:56 AM

i need help correcting skin tones.

Here is a project i am working on. I need someone advice on how to match girls skin according to lighting. That is how far i managed to do. Thank you for your help. Nebula.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Couple.jpg (85.6 KB, 101 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2011, 09:26 AM

Re: i need help correcting skin tones.

The color of girl skin is ok, it just have to be more dark. Try to dodge it
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2011, 09:57 AM

Burn I meant
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2011, 01:20 PM

No worries shumski I kinda new you meant burn.Here is final version. I have changed the background, gentlemen's sweater and darkened the image.What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg couple2.jpg (77.3 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2011, 01:44 PM

For me, I would want to lighten up and open up the shadows in the girls face. Im hoping thats what you want to do...im a bit unclear.

I would use a non-destructive process called a "curve adjustment layers" in order to retain all the original image detail and image integrity... and still also have the ability to make the necessary lightening level adjustments.

To start: You would go to the bottom of the layers pallet and choose the "make adjustment layer" icon and then choose curves. You would pull up... and to the left... the center of the curve... till the image was very light and bright in the shadow areas. Make this adjustment a little bit more brighter than you will need ...because you will only use some of it anyway in the next step...so it doesnt matter too much. Just dont flat top the curve because its too overly white.

Next: With this new layer you will have created a curve thumbnail and a white layer mask. Hit Command or Control "I" to invert the mask from white to black. Then with the mask selected...get a very soft... very low opacity... 4-8% white brush. Paint on the mask and you will see light coming into the shadowy areas of the face where you paint. This is called "painting with light". Paint on the girls shadow areas until you have opened up the shadow areas to your liking... and they look much brighter than they do now. For me...thats how I would correct this image...I would lighten up the shadows in the girls face. You can use the opacity slider on the layers pallet to globally adjust the intensity of this "painting with light" layer to be any brightness you think is best. You could even do another adjustment layer if you needed more brightness. You could do her arms with another adjustment layer. Maybe this curve is pulled down to the right... and this layer is used to darken up parts of the picture to balance your look. The beauty of this methodology is that you can paint on the desired effects with the white brush...and then just use the black brush to reverse your strokes till you get the perfect look you want by adding and subtracting lightness etc.

Additionally: You could also use the same technique...and instead of using curves...choose and use the Hue/Saturation/Levels adjustment on the top most layer. You could then use the saturation slider to bring down the intense red face area to make them less saturated and ruddy red. Do the same thing by painting on the Inverted black mask...paint on it with a white brush. In this case, you are painting on a "lessening of saturation" effect onto the image...where ever you paint with white.

The Result: That will at least brighten up the shadow areas in the girls face so they are not so severe and dark looking...and it will bring down the overly saturated red look to some lower level that you think is better. Use the layer opacity sliders to get the lightening and de-saturating effects to be whatever you like. You could also use an additional curves adjustment layer to really brighten up the club background that is also in real deep shadow.. so that it looks real nice.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers

Ray12

Last edited by ray12; 02-02-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2011, 02:59 PM

The problem with the ubiquitous dodge and burn technique is that if it is not applied with caution hi-lites and shadows get blitzed. The hi-lite on the girl's shoulder has become a 'dark' hi-lite, resulting in an odd tone. When you take the colour down (to suggest ambient lighting rather than suntan) you should also desaturate those areas and even consider whether there should be a light effect there at all, given the 'new' lighting scenario.
R.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2011, 03:15 PM

I agree with Repairman, but it also depends on what you want to do with the image. In my opinion, the fix is too dark and you are losing a lot of detail specially on the guy's hair and the background. If this was my work I'd brighten the photo and then correct colors. Only if you want to try, duplicate the photo change blend mode to screen and lower the opacity around 65-70, and see what happens. But again, this is just me.

How to get nice skin tones: http://www.smugmug.com/help/skin-tone
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2011, 07:11 PM

I agree with. There should not be that ,,lighting,, scenario on girls shoulder. I don't know how to take off the highlights on girls shoulder. Again this file is too small to do anything serious around 100kb. Tell how would you normally and safely remove unwanted highlights on skin? So i kinda left it as it is for now just desaturated a bit.Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repairman View Post
The problem with the ubiquitous dodge and burn technique is that if it is not applied with caution hi-lites and shadows get blitzed. The hi-lite on the girl's shoulder has become a 'dark' hi-lite, resulting in an odd tone. When you take the colour down (to suggest ambient lighting rather than suntan) you should also desaturate those areas and even consider whether there should be a light effect there at all, given the 'new' lighting scenario.
R.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2011, 07:16 PM

Thank you Boneappetit for for the link and advice.
Ray12 thank you for your in depth help. I normally use <adjustment layers> and play mask lighting too. As i mentioned early i am kinda trying helplessly to reduce those highlights on shoulder by making picture to look quiet oddly. Desaturated now looks better. Dont want to do any more with it. It is so small file to work with.Pain pain pain.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2011, 07:19 PM

ups file was to big had start uploading again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Couple4.jpg (85.9 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching