RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Skin blemish repair - where to start?

Old 02-03-2011, 09:44 PM

Skin blemish repair - where to start?

I'm reading post after post here and model mayhem and some blogs that get linked and google searches to find more info on some of the terms and technique.

I'm honestly overwhelmed and in a bit over my head. I'm not new to photoshop but I'm no expert retoucher. I want to learn some the most effective techniques to treat skin. I'm mainly interested in natural looking results (versus ultra smooth glamor skin). I want to be able to do other treatments as well but my current need is for more traditional portraits. You know, soften wrinkles, even skin color, remove blemishes, maybe add some makeup or make the list slightly richer. Lot's of light touches that add up to a nice, natural photo.

I know it takes time and lots of practice. Where I'm stuck is where to start and what techniques I should be concentrating on. There so much information but I don't really have enough familiarity with the terms or the techniques to judge which are the best for my purpose.

Anyone have a map I could borrow to get through this maze of information?

EDIT: I guess I should be a little more specific. I'm talking about effective intermediate and advanced techniques. Not "use the healing brush and a 20% blur" kinda stuff.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2011, 12:43 AM

Re: Skin blemish repair - where to start?

Hi there,
Blemishes, any kind of small imperfections etc., You may remove simply using patch tool, (create new layer first!).
Then using very low opacity dodge and burn significant shadows (under eyes, nose, jaw - wherever necessary)
Next, easy way to equalize overall - use patch tool again - lets say dodging made skin under eyes brighter, but slight different tone - this is where patch tool will help.
Then remove wrinkles using d&b at VERY low opacity and small (a size of single wrinkle) brush. It is time consuming but works.
Then You may create two extra layers on top of the stack. Lets call them 'very top' and 'top' - switch off visibility of 'very top' layer and blur (YES) the 'top' layer with gaussian up to the moment where You loose all details. Then bring back visibility of 'very top' layer, go to Image>Apply Image. In dialog choose layer 'top', channel RGB, but tick 'Invert', blending mode to 'Add', Scale 2, Offset 0 (this is for 16bit images, google for 8bit ) - You will see something like after using high pass filter, but far more precise - then in Your layers tab choose blending mode of 'very top' layer to linear light - Now You are ready to work - Use 'healing brush' (set it for the current layer only!) and ... pix by pix heal the skin...
Later...
Never ending story
Hope it helps
br
Mac
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsadowski View Post
br
Mac
It's better when you link to the source. U know?

What the poster above mentioned it's called Frequency separation and I'm sure you can find a lot of information on it.

I wrote this, maybe you can find it useful

When I'm back from Singapore/Sydney I'l post the handouts for the workshops and you can see my whole workflow there.

Good luck
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2011, 09:50 AM

Thanks Natalia. Yes, FS is chief among what I'm trying to understand. I love the writeup you linked. Understanding what to repair and why is more important that how. I'm trying to get to the next level in both respects.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
It's better when you link to the source.
What the poster above mentioned it's called Frequency separation
I would if I know any, btw, good to know the name of that process.
I have learnt it in 'pre-yt' times, and never looked for it again, so no sources.
Apologize for trying to help!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2011, 11:51 AM

Since there's still no link on this around ;-): http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?th...=439098&page=1
The mother of all frequency separation threads with lots of written tutorials and also some videos.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2011, 12:02 PM

That's what I've been reading through. The process to make the low and high pass layers is pretty straight forward. Understanding exactly what to do with those layers and the intermediate "middle" layer(s) I run across has been tougher to grasp.

I've been able to get improved results but I'm sure I'm still missing quite a bit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2011, 12:24 PM

Try these threads here as well: http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=636113 and http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=636374
Maybe they'll give you some more ideas :-).
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2011, 02:07 PM

Those are a huge help. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_W View Post
Try these threads here as well: http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=636113 and http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=636374
Maybe they'll give you some more ideas :-).
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2011, 07:51 PM

Drode,
I am thinking that some of the issues you mention could be rather easily resolved with basic retouching tools. Blemishes can usually be handled quite easily with clone stamping (pixel cloning). Try not to work in opacity percentages as you could easily produce soft or blurry areas. If these occur, you can usually add back some texture by loose lassoing the problems areas and add some noise (low levels) to try and match the existing unretouched areas. When you speak of even skin tones, I think you might be referring to the reddish blotches that often occur on the chin, nose and ears - sometimes around the eye rims too. I often loose lasso these areas - apply feathering (14-22 pixels on a higher res image - but it is relative to your image size), and do a selective color correction. You can usually pull these areas into a more natural zone by taking magenta out of the red. With preview on, you can watch live and decide how much to move your selection areas as they come into the range you're seeking. You may have to do this in several steps, and become more selective as the areas with blotches become smaller. Selective color works quicker in an absolute setting and more subtly in a relative mode.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching