RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Skin tones

Old 02-09-2011, 03:51 PM

Re: Skin tones

I get your point. Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2011, 04:55 PM

SWOP v2 is not a general printing profile. Yes, it is usually the default selection in Photoshop, but is it designed for web presses running newsprint. Most presses today print much more colorful and brighter and the old SWOP standard, especially if you are printing on Grade 1 paper.

As far as the correct ratio for skintone,I agree. The old 1/5 to 1/3 cyan compared to magenta and yellow is good for Caucasian skintone, but beyond that the ratios must be different. And this is true for more than just the ethnicity of the model or the demands of an art director. What happens at press must also be considered. The same CMYK values on one press can be a disaster on another press.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2011, 09:56 PM

Wink Re: Skin tones

Quote:
Originally Posted by anwer View Post
you can explain how did you do it. many of us like me are newbies
when it comes to retouching . for sure there are members here
who will definitely apperitiate it.
WOW... there are some really informative and excellent comments here since I last visited. To answer your question more specifically... I color corrected by the numbers, based on my experience in color reproduction for both photography and print. Accurately reproducing flesh tones for authenticity, in multiple ethnicities and races, requires that you know and understand some starting points for such. Implementation is almost as important as knowing the correct values. A peak (HL) flesh tone of 3C, 21M and 23Y (243, 205, 187) without the transitional tonality and shape to the form, can appear flat and unnatural. Best to know how to use Curves, Layers, Layer Masks and Modes, etc. to get exactly where you want to be.

All that being said, here is what I did. If you download any of the images you will see that I have cut Paths for my areas of specific concern. I (you) don't necessarily need to always do this... but I am fast at it, and I find it comes in handy if and when I want to use them. You might note that in addition to the skin tones, i also brightened and whitened the cover as it was dingy and casted. This was very easy in RGB by isolating it and using Desaturate and a HL curve move. The nurses arm was also also isolated with a Path and I used Channel Mixing (slightly) and Selective Color Correction to get the initial color mix I wanted, then adjusted for weight with a Curve adjustment.

The Art Director wanted multiple choices, so I made two darker, incremental versions. These I achieved making the selection, copying the arm (with a feathered and softened edge for blending purposes) and actually pasting it over itself in a new layer in Multiply mode, Then I adjusted the color mix with some fine tuning - again in Selective Color Correction. Repeated virtually the same same step in a compounded layer for the darkest of tones.

I would like to add that this is merely "how 'I' did it". I could probably do it again in a different manner and achieve very similar results. Suffice to say that in Photoshop, and other retouching software, there are always many ways to skin a cat.

For the record the Art Director went with B. I preferred version C. But hey, I get paid any which way!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2011, 10:06 PM

That was rather log winded. I would like to add that the chart posted for glamour shots was very good and a helpful aid for many. I myself, would use different color mixes - and not worry to much about cheeks, as they are simply warmer (a bit redder on most women and not necessarily on men). I break my values down into HL, 1/4 Tones, MT, 3/4T and Shadow. I've attached my own formula for consideration. Again, there are a lot of us here on this earth with many shades, and values and hue - all beautiful. This is a generic Anglo mix. I realize that ideally everyone would like to strip all of the Cyan from the peak HL flesh, but realistically, based most likely on what you will start with, it is very difficult to do without compromising detail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SKINTONES.jpg (52.9 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2011, 02:26 PM

Thank again for sharing your thaughts. Be careful with the pen tool though. The depth of field on the mans arm is almost gone 'cause of the sharp edge the path creates. Maybe you should have blurred the mask slightly. But that's just small details, probably no one would notice!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2011, 03:58 PM

Karlington...
hadn't noticed that. But it was a "as usual" rush, and it was printing at about a 3 x4" insert. Yes I am acutely aware of my masks edges created from the Paths I use. I always use some degree of feather and or a combination of feather and modify contract, etc... Obviously the degree of feather is relative to actual pixel dimensions of the project - i.e. a 4500 px width image can usually sustain a 18-20 pixel feather - depending on what you are trying to achieve. While an image only 200 pixels wide would obviously have to be much less. Thanks for the tidbit. I'll keep my eyes peeled for such - if they are not ripped way from me by the time I hit "SAVE"!!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching