RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What is your favorite D&B strategy?

Old 02-09-2011, 04:18 PM

What is your favorite D&B strategy?

When I do my dodge and burn I like to have a separate layer filled with 50% medium grey then set my brush tool to either multiply or screen.

Im curious as to how other retouchers achieve their D&B effect. =D
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2011, 07:03 PM

Re: What is your favorite D&B strategy?

I'm not an expert and I'm just learning to use D&B effectively. But here's what I do: I create a 50% gray layer and set it to soft light. Then I paint with black and white with a very soft brush at a low opacity usually 3-5%. If I'm painting large areas of highlight or shadow, I may go as high as 10% opacity.

It's not fancy but it works and I have excellent control. The only downside, IMO, over the standard dodge and burn tools is that I don't have a simple way to limit the effect to highlight, mid or shadow tones. Sometimes I want to burn the highlights mixed in with shadow or mid tone to even the area out before reforming the shadows. For now, I have to even up those areas up pixel-by-pixel.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drode View Post
I'm not an expert and I'm just learning to use D&B effectively. But here's what I do: I create a 50% gray layer and set it to soft light. Then I paint with black and white with a very soft brush at a low opacity usually 3-5%. If I'm painting large areas of highlight or shadow, I may go as high as 10% opacity.

It's not fancy but it works and I have excellent control. The only downside, IMO, over the standard dodge and burn tools is that I don't have a simple way to limit the effect to highlight, mid or shadow tones. Sometimes I want to burn the highlights mixed in with shadow or mid tone to even the area out before reforming the shadows. For now, I have to even up those areas up pixel-by-pixel.
It sounds like we use a similar effect. Your way does seem to offer more control... at least a 'softer' feel. Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2011, 09:14 PM

I don't use d&b very often, and when I do it's very light and subtle, but when I do I use the technique that drode described. The other benefit of that is not having to constantly change the blending mode of your brush when you want to go between dodging and burning, you just hit X to swap your foreground and background colors between black and white.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2011, 04:54 AM

I used to do D&B on a 50% grey layer in soft light mode but found I couldnt get enough change in luminosity for eye work.

Now I create 2 curve adjustment layers with "hide all" masks. One has the curve pulled down (burn) the other has the curve pulled up (dodge). I paint on the mask with a soft edged white brush at low opacity.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching