RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Fake skin with noise/grain

Old 02-10-2011, 05:11 AM

Fake skin with noise/grain

I have been looking at Burberry adverts in the big magazines and would like to recreate the look.

There is very little fine detail in the face and it looks as if monochrome noise has been added to the shadows. Anyone know how this is done?

I have attached an image but I think you will have to look at the original to see what I mean (should be in Vogue, Harpers Bazaar or Elle)

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Burberry.JPG (34.1 KB, 150 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2011, 09:43 AM

Re: Fake skin with noise/grain

As there is a shortage of people responding I will add a few thoughts.

The grain/noise is in the shadows so it occurred to me that I could create a luminosity mask on a grey layer, invert the mask, add monochromatic gaussian noise and reduce opacity.

But before doing this I need to remove the pore detail. I don't want to use blur. I heard about a technique of using the clone tool to smear pixels but can't find it described anywhere. If I do a frequency separation and delete the high pass layer that would be the same as applying blur so I am not keen on that. Any help on removing pore texture without blurring the life out of the image would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Janitor

Check out Lee Varis' Skin 2 book. He covers this technique.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2011, 03:00 PM

There's no quick fix.
I've been trying to get straight answer for your same question without getting the results I was really looking for.

Here's what I do to get close ...

Add a new layer filled with 50% gray set to overlay. Then go to Filter > Noise > Add Noise. Different photos will need different settings. I use monochromatic, gaussian noise, anywhere from 5-15% ... depending on the photo.
This only gets me halfway there. When I resize the photo for web, the effect pretty much disappears.

As for the smooth skin, I'd say use the frequency separation. Smooth it out using clone and heal on the high pass layer.

Here's an example that I was passing around asking about.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kskzyuFaS8.../Picture+6.png
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2011, 03:11 PM

I forgot the mention a step ...
Sometimes, depending on the photo, the noise needs to be softened a little. So on the 50% gray overlay layer with the noise, I'll add a gaussian blur at .5 pixel radius. This makes the noise not quite so harsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2011, 05:39 AM

I've been reading Skin 2 this week. It's a fantastic book and I've picked up quite a few things I can use. However, there is a particular images of a woman in her late 40s / early 50s that he retouches using blur and introducing noise to recreate texture. Honestly, I think final the image looks awful. The texture looks fake and amateurish. It seems out of place compared to everything else in the book.

Granted, I'm reading the ebook version online, so maybe the print looks better but I doubt it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson View Post
Check out Lee Varis' Skin 2 book. He covers this technique.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drode View Post
I've been reading Skin 2 this week. It's a fantastic book and I've picked up quite a few things I can use. However, there is a particular images of a woman in her late 40s / early 50s that he retouches using blur and introducing noise to recreate texture. Honestly, I think final the image looks awful. The texture looks fake and amateurish. It seems out of place compared to everything else in the book.
I was looking for a retouching book a while ago, picked up Skin 2 and thumbed through it, didn't buy it because of that one chapter.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drode View Post

Granted, I'm reading the ebook version online, so maybe the print looks better but I doubt it.
I agree. I have version 1 of this book and it is very good. But that retouch of the woman is truly awful.

Doug Nelson mentions that the use of the clone stamp to smear pixels is described in version 2. Could someone give me a quick explanation. Clicking and dragging with the clone stamp does not smear pixels so what is the trick?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2011, 10:37 AM

Sample an area nearby, reduce the opacity of the clone stamp to ~30% and smear over the areas you want to smooth.
That should give you this "smeary" look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2011, 11:28 AM

Hi fraiseap: Those works got a lot more than just clone stamp or monochromatic gaussian. Maybe you are looking at a downsized version of the photos where you cannot see the details. If the photo belongs to a famous magazine they got a lot of work on them for sure.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching