RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Eyelashes, Lips & Iris - Doll Look!!! NEED HELP!

Old 02-10-2011, 11:48 PM

Eyelashes, Lips & Iris - Doll Look!!! NEED HELP!

Hello, I have a HUGE project where I need to create an over the top retouch to make the girls look doll like. I have attached a couple examples if anyone has any insight with how to accomplish these techniques please, please let me know. I don't know how to get the eyelashes like that....I have the eyelash brushes for photoshop but they look to natural instead of the way these look. Also the eys look like glass and perfect, how does this happen. I am using Photoshop CS5 if that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eyes_Lips_Example_2.jpg (33.3 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg EyeExample_1.jpg (76.8 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg Eyes_Lips_Example_1.jpg (34.5 KB, 126 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2011, 04:24 AM

Re: Eyelashes, Lips & Iris - Doll Look!!! NEED HEL

Many steps are involved to achieve this result. First, you must desaturate and brighten the whites of the eyes, then enhance the eye color by increasing saturation or vibrance. The edge around the iris is also defined (edge sharpness increased) as is the entire outline shape of the eye. Eye liner is perhaps intensified by using a very small airbrush size with approximately 30% flow. Contrast inside iris & pupil are increased, and catch lights inside of pupils are made whiter/brighter. For lashes, I've found using a tiny brush size with the smudge tool works beautifully for extending lashes in a more fantasy/surreal way. Finally, some light airbrushing may need to be done to smooth and even skin beneath the eyes. There are excellent actions/tools sets designed for this to speed up your workflow. Otherwise, it simply takes a steady hand, a pen & tablet, & patience to become confident.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2011, 07:16 AM

Personally, I'd airbrush the face with pure fleshy colours and paste it over the original at about 75% opacity. Restore the eyes etc and then I'd do what Angel does. Fun job though.
R.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2011, 11:59 AM

Where would I find the actions&tool sets for these procedures?????
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2011, 02:12 PM

I don't know that you could find specific actions or tool sets for every image you are going manipulate - as each will be different. I think the poster meant you could find - or make - an action that would create the various frequency layers needed to get to the polished skin. But the eyes and lips I believe is going to be all hand, custom work. I would add to the earlier comments that it seems that the eyes are also unusually enlarged and it was explained how they got to neutral bright white and colorful irises. The lips also seem to be smaller than actual originals. Both these enlargements and reductions can be achieved by making selections, copying and pasting and then warping the top layers to your liking - of course, irises, pupils would have to be reshaped and rounded if the warping caused distortion.

You could save yourself some "future time" by making the eyelash - top and bottom - separate transparent layers. Then you could always reuse the layers as starting points for you next eye - with only the need to perhaps warp it some, to fit the new/different eye. I believe you may find your Dune Grass brush to be of some help if you play around with it a bit.

Last edited by daygraphics; 02-11-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2011, 07:12 PM

I have tried the dune grass brush before but how do I get that brush to just do 1 blade of grass....I can only get it to create multiple blades of grass usually in white/gray and black at one time....I would love to be able to use this brush with a single black blade of grass....any help?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2011, 07:56 PM

SURE... Select the brush itself under Brush Presets. It seems to always want to add Shape Dynamics - which you don't want. Turn off all a shape dynamics, except smoothing. You can use black or a dark brown color. It really doesn't matter, as you can adjust color tones after the fact. Spacing doesn't matter either, as you are not going to paint strokes or strike a line. Just select the angle that you want to start at - be it far right or left or center, and place your brush location and click once. Move over, change your angle and maybe your size a bit, and click again. Keep changing your size and angle and you can put lashes exactly where you want. I use Normal Brush Tip in my Painting Cursors, in Preferences - so I can see exactly how big my brush is, what angle it is at and where I am about to place it. Play around with it a bit and I think you might be able to create those lashes just like you want. Also, in the end there are ways of fattening them up near the bottom where they reach the eye lid, but get a feel for making them first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SHAPE_DYNAMICS.jpg (45.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DEFAULT.jpg (41.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg ANGLES.jpg (45.9 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2011, 05:02 PM

Kubota Image Tools has some action sets and filters which specifically define the eyes, lips and soften or add makeup to the skin. They are adjustable for intensity giving you options for how natural vs. fantasy like you want to go. Check their Artistic Tools Volumes 1-4.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2011, 05:10 PM

Just use a one or two pixel airbrush and illustrate them. Both more natural and bespoke.
R.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewatt View Post
Hello, I have a HUGE project where I need to create an over the top retouch to make the girls look doll like. I have attached a couple examples if anyone has any insight with how to accomplish these techniques please, please let me know. I don't know how to get the eyelashes like that....I have the eyelash brushes for photoshop but they look to natural instead of the way these look. Also the eys look like glass and perfect, how does this happen. I am using Photoshop CS5 if that helps.
Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends.

How to draw eyelashes:
Use the "freeform pen tool" to draw your own lashes (click here) Drawing on a new softlight layer

Eyelash brushes: Use brushes either black or the color of the natural lashes @100% opacity (to be adjusted later) each on a new softlight layer then use the transform tool to move and shape the brush to the eye then lower opacity to taste

Making a eyelash brush ( 4 free eyelash pic. included) (Click here)
Deviant Art Eyelash Brushes
obsidiandawn

Or

use Godmothers method...
Eyelashes - in a new empty layer use a very small brush with the smudge tool mode: Normal Strength: from 85 to 100 Clicked: Sample All Layers
Draw the eyelashes
Then u can add some noise to this layer, blur it a bit, then USM and maybe lower the opacity a bit... basically once u've drawed them u can do what u please.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For the Eyes...
Loosely select the eye(s)...then Ctrl+J to put on new layer (as per this tutorial.. Super Sparkling Eyes
Sharpen with USM (Unsharp Mask)Try (amount 150, radius .. up to 2.5, threshold 0) ... Use the Dodge/Burn tools to enhance the highlights and dark areas
Paint or clone the reflection
use Hue/Saturation to strengthen the colors you want
Add a hide all mask on the layer then paint with white on the mask to reveal your changes.. paint with black to make corrections and hiding the stuff you do not want revealed
Add a new layer above the eyes and add the reflection you want... use the layer opacity
to blend it in.. also you can use the free-transform tool or blurring or whatever you need to make the reflections look good

OR

Eye Enhancement

OR

Professional changing of Eye color

OR

This thread: Eye Retouching

OR

Pop Eyes Tutorial

Hope this helps some..
Good Luck in your ventures!

Last edited by 0lBaldy; 02-14-2011 at 09:05 PM. Reason: added another method
Reply With Quote top