RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Are these Realistic Rates?

Old 02-17-2011, 06:22 PM

Re: Are these Realistic Rates?

So tell me, if I had ten bucks to spend on either a mc donalds happy meal, or have you retouch a picture for me, what can i expect from you? I mean, those fast food burgers are pretty damn good, and I wouldnt want to spend my hard earned singles on something else. what are your skills? experience? are you good? do you suck? what do you classify as retouching. Maybe your skills and work are only worth as much to warrant such a low price, but I couldnt imagine you do much at all for 8-$15 per image. Id love to see some examples of before and afters you have done. If you are "retouching" images for your friends facebook pages, and your idea of that is hitting the auto correct button and saving it as a little jpg to email around, ok, your price is cute. If you are talking about real high end retouching, and you have the work to back it up then you are either incredibly foolish and have no concept of business, or the value of your time... or you are kind of like a Mother Theresa of the photo world.

Off the cuff, if anyone came to me and said that they can do retouching for the equivalent of what some uneducated shlepp working at taco bell makes per hour, Id laugh, and realize that they do not have any clue as to what is required to do that kind of work, nor have they put the time or investment in to the education, experience, and equipment necc to do a substantial job.

Sorry to sound harsh, but your prices are a joke, unless, like i said, you arent worth more than a few bucks an image with what you are capable of. At the rate your planning to charge, you may as well do it for free and for the fun of it. I dont see any rent or mortgage payments in your horizon, but lots of food of the dollar menu!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2011, 07:40 PM

Wow

Harsh is an understatement. Maybe you were born with savant like abilities; the skill of a master and the rates to match. It's hard to get started, it's hard to learn and grow, it's hard to ask questions and it's especially hard to be belittled by those who might help (but don't). It is, however, courageous to make the effort. It is brave to suffer the slings and arrows and continue to move forward.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2011, 09:10 PM

Jessica, allow me to give you KISS! Keep It Simple Stupid.

Set an hourly rate, whatever works for you and whatever your geographic market can handle. One simple easy rate, whatever it is, since you are starting out, I would say $75/hr. I don't know, it is your rate and you know your market, this is just a starting point.

What you do in this hour is irrelevant, you remove a blemish or white balance a photograph, the same thing. You spent it on One picture or many, does not matter. The thing is, you just spent an hour doing retouch. The clock ticks from the moment you locate the first file till you save the last one. So, the hour includes the open/save and load next. If I give you 100 pics 10k each will take some time to load and if I gave you 500 MG TIFF file, you know where I am going..You got your behind covered either way.

An hour is an hour is an hour. Then, you set minimum, say 30 minute minimum. There are some wise people out there that would love to pay for 5 minutes.

This will save you the trouble of 5 pictures or 20 photographs. Simple and easy on all to understand. The other advantage to this is, it gives you the opportunity to "size" the job and see how much you would like to get out of it without revealing your actual rate.

Moving on to another but related subject: You Can Never Be Expensive Enough!!!

You know the old saying "you get what you pay for" - same here, if you are affordable -reads CHEAP- so is your work. Price your self high, then, size a job lower, meaning "oh, don't worry Aladdin, this is really going to be 30 minute job" Ah, it will cost me $40 bucks to do, it is only 30 minutes which sounds a lot better than "She did 20 pics for 40 bucks, it is like $2 each, she is so cheap" totally different perspective.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2011, 09:23 PM

Part of me wants to really lay into you and the other part says to take it easy. First, relax and it's unfortunate that your first reaction is that you feel belittled. Sarcastic in my reply? Absolutely , but only to try and wake you up or anyone else for that matter , ESP when you are not only undervaluing part of the industry but more importantly devaluing yourself. I don't know anything about you, your skills , your experience or what your background is or where you want to go ultimately but in simplest terms to answer your original question.... No! Your rates are not realistic..... At all..... if you are truly doing retouching. Makes no difference if your starting out or trying to break in or whatever. You shouldnt be giving it away and at the prices you list well, that's basically what it is sounding like. You want exp? Test, assist, intern, study etc but your not helping yourself or anyone out by working cheaply. First, you'll become known as a cheap source, second you won't be getting any work worth anything at all since nobody's going to shoot a big commercial job and say hey there this girl who can retouch our campaign or ad or wedding or portrait or whatever for that matter for about ten bucks an image. You will jam yourself into a hole real fast if you are really trying to make a go at it and get somewhere. Third you'll have a tough time being taken seriously... Hence my sarcasm.... Nuff said. Fourth , you had better learn to shake it off if you don't hear something you don't like. ESP in this field, it moves fast and nobody really gives a shit if your feelings get hurt. What are you gonna do when after you finish some pics and your about to send out an invoice for $20 and your client calls and says they're unhappy and want you to do it over or change it or give them a refund? Cry and put a little

I'm no savant or retouch guru. I can hold my own but I have never given my or my colleagues time away for nothing since there is value in what we do. If you feel otherwise then you need to start selling that point to people. Any retouched I know usually is charging at least $250 /hr. Maybe there's $125 per in there as a favor or low end or bulk work but never ever ever like what you had in mind. Now one caveat. I'm talking real retouching here. Good skilled aesthetically pleasing and professional level. And without still knowing you or you abilities it's a blind guess as to what you would be worth. But if you are good then you are a fool for not being compensated properly.
So point being and in closing........ Pretty please, with sugar on top, and chocolate syrup and sprinkles and a big fat cherry....... Don't sell yourself short, cheapen and devalue the trade, and start off down the wrong path. If that still stings too much then I'd be happy to hear from anyone else that disagrees and can put it more gingerly
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garibaldi View Post
Part of me wants to really lay into you and the other part says to take it easy. First, relax and it's unfortunate that your first reaction is that you feel belittled. Sarcastic in my reply? Absolutely , but only to try and wake you up or anyone else for that matter , ESP when you are not only undervaluing part of the industry but more importantly devaluing yourself. I don't know anything about you, your skills , your experience or what your background is or where you want to go ultimately but in simplest terms to answer your original question.... No! Your rates are not realistic..... At all..... if you are truly doing retouching. Makes no difference if your starting out or trying to break in or whatever. You shouldnt be giving it away and at the prices you list well, that's basically what it is sounding like. You want exp? Test, assist, intern, study etc but your not helping yourself or anyone out by working cheaply. First, you'll become known as a cheap source, second you won't be getting any work worth anything at all since nobody's going to shoot a big commercial job and say hey there this girl who can retouch our campaign or ad or wedding or portrait or whatever for that matter for about ten bucks an image. You will jam yourself into a hole real fast if you are really trying to make a go at it and get somewhere. Third you'll have a tough time being taken seriously... Hence my sarcasm.... Nuff said. Fourth , you had better learn to shake it off if you don't hear something you don't like. ESP in this field, it moves fast and nobody really gives a shit if your feelings get hurt. What are you gonna do when after you finish some pics and your about to send out an invoice for $20 and your client calls and says they're unhappy and want you to do it over or change it or give them a refund? Cry and put a little

I'm no savant or retouch guru. I can hold my own but I have never given my or my colleagues time away for nothing since there is value in what we do. If you feel otherwise then you need to start selling that point to people. Any retouched I know usually is charging at least $250 /hr. Maybe there's $125 per in there as a favor or low end or bulk work but never ever ever like what you had in mind. Now one caveat. I'm talking real retouching here. Good skilled aesthetically pleasing and professional level. And without still knowing you or you abilities it's a blind guess as to what you would be worth. But if you are good then you are a fool for not being compensated properly.
So point being and in closing........ Pretty please, with sugar on top, and chocolate syrup and sprinkles and a big fat cherry....... Don't sell yourself short, cheapen and devalue the trade, and start off down the wrong path. If that still stings too much then I'd be happy to hear from anyone else that disagrees and can put it more gingerly

That was the entire point of this thread, To hear the opinions of a set rate... I do not charge anything atm simply because people do not know of me. I have done my research and most freelance retouchers have a set price for however many images they retouch... I do not want to freelance in this business. I am looking for a steady job doing in house retouching. Yet right now (trying to graduate school and all) I am looking to make some cash for tuition and get my name out there. I agree with almost everything being said on this thread. I am in no way offended, belittled, hurt, or pouty. I appreciate the input from everyone and just want to try to do the easiest thing.

But the hostility... yeeesh
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2011, 10:28 PM

I Wasn't being hostile. You're being a little sensitive ;-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garibaldi View Post
I Wasn't being hostile. You're being a little sensitive ;-)
you are a tricky one... because i agree with everything you're saying... but you're making me feel bad about it. haha
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2011, 11:30 PM

That's just because you are a woman and you are complicated creatures! Lol. Stick with it and never give it away. If you love it and are good then don't be afraid
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2011, 03:51 AM

This is "PROBABLY ONE OF THE MOST DISCUSSED ISSUES"
The problem is there are so many VARIABLES (skill levels,where you do business etc..)
IF your just starting out are your skills are not so great you can"t" compete with a Really skilled Retoucher
If Your working out of a smaller town You can't charge "New York " prices
Even in a bigger city a lot depends on who your clients are smaller studios who use your service are NOT going to pay huge sums of money,there studio is probably very BUDGET conscious
So you see how its Difficult to come up with pricing
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2011, 05:07 AM

You should be nice to your customers and you need to be able to explain to them what they can get for their money. As a freelancer you have to deal with many different people with different amount of "cash in their pocket" - you need to be able to understand that and also be able to move this cash from their pocket to yours

Is a good Idea to have the cheapest and easiest solution you can offer - as Alladin explained above and then you can have some "extra" services for "extra" charges. We need to understand that clients are not aware off what real retouching is and how much time and effort it is going to take ... You should be able to explain everything in very easy and clear way. For example you can have several pictures - RAW image without any corrections, picture with basic color & contrast correction, skin retouching etc. ... and mention how much time is going to retouch this picture and how much time the another one. Do not push them and let them make their own choice.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching