Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to get these effects in photoshop?

Old 03-02-2011, 08:10 PM
How to get these effects in photoshop?

One of my favorite photographers is Neef Fresh. A lot of you may not understand why HER of all the photographers but I remember her from myspace with OKAY photos and now she's progressed very far. I want to know how she achieved some of these looks in Photoshop:

- the lips/ well blended skin tone

- the overall color/feel of the photo

and of course Scott Robert

how he did his photo like a painting

Thanks in advance! Try not to get TOO technical with the Photoshop. I've learned A LOT but im not impeccably fluent in Photoshopology !
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Re: How to get these effects in photoshop?

The last photo has a potentially CRAZY process. I've done something like that before, not as well as he did, and it took forever.

The reason it looks painted is because it pretty much is.
In photoshop, convert the photo to black and white. Then change the color mode to CMYK. Like I said, crazy.
You're going to have to isolate each color. So for the sake of simplicity, let's use the lips as an example. Add a curves adjustment layer, then go into each individual color channel and start bring the colors up and down until you see a red that you like in the lips. Invert the layer mask, and with a brush, paint back in just where the lips are. The repeat this process for hair, skin, clothing, etc.
There may other ways to get that look, but that's how did it when I needed achieve a similar effect. There are thousands of ways to skin a cat in photoshop.
I attached a screen capture of my layer stack in photoshop, and as an example, what the curves looked like for the lips.

As for the first photo, the lips are the result of a makeup artist literally painting on lipstick. There may be some color adjusting done in photoshop, but that wet look comes from the makeup.

The second photo is probably playing with each channel in a curves layer. Maybe a color overlay with the opacity down and a different blending mode. You can get the look of her hair with curves or levels.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2011-03-03 at 1.22.26 AM.png (23.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: png Screen shot 2011-03-03 at 1.25.44 AM.png (26.9 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2011, 05:02 AM

I the first the skin is blurred and pores gone.Highlights added. You can change lip color by just paint on a ampty layer set to Color. Then use Hue & Saturation to change the color. You can also add highlights to get mor wet feel of the lips.
I made a fast example here.

Last image seems to be a play with several layers set to Overlay and lots of Gaussian blur and then selectively masked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lips_gloss.jpg (70.4 KB, 102 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2011, 08:57 AM

I guess the third one I'm going to have to advance a bit more. But, I would definitely take the time out one day to try it !

Pelle ; what do you mean when you say "highlights" , are you refering to dodge?
TheHJJ ; I'm sure it was still worth it though ! That's a beautiful technique
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching