RetouchPRO

RetouchPRO (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/)
-   Photo Retouching (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-retouching/)
-   -   Action for Frequency Separation (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-retouching/32648-action-frequency-separation.html)

jonathan_k 03-06-2011 08:00 AM

Action for Frequency Separation

Hey All

I want to create a basic Photoshop CS5 action to speed up frequency separation.

Basically, for frequency separation, what I do is make two copies of the image, the lower one of which contains the blurred tonal/colour section of the image, and upper one which contains the details of the image. In addition to the gaussian blur function, the apply image function is used.

Now, the level of the gaussian blur is always variable. Sometimes the blurred layer needs to be very blurred, sometimes not. All depends on the original image.

What I want is to start running the action, but have Photoshop let me select the level of blur, and then have it continue running the action.

Any ideas?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Jon

4personnen 03-06-2011 08:04 AM

Re: Action for Frequency Separation

Hi
While recording your action, at the "moment" you want to place your blur menu, go to the drop down menu of the action palette and "insert menu item" choose your blur filter and click "OK".

jonathan_k 03-06-2011 08:13 AM

Thank you!

Will try when I get home later.

So simple.

Have a great day.

Jon

mistermonday 03-06-2011 09:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Jon, RP member Chain has already written such an action which I have attached below. There are actually two types of Frequency Separation actions included. The 1st is the standard one you referred to in your OP. The 2nd splits performs a frequency separation in which there is absolutely no color on the high frequency layer. All of the color is on the LF layer.
Just select the either of the two and click your Play action button.
Regards, Murray

jonathan_k 03-06-2011 10:09 AM

Perfecto. Thank you. I suppose thats basically the ideal solution, and the funny thing is that I didn't even know there would be colour contained in the HF layer at all. Or that it would an issue.

Double save Murray, thanks.

pixeltek 03-06-2011 10:23 AM

jonathan, if you set the layer as a smart object you can then apply the blur during your action ... when you play the action back it won't stop and you'll be able to adjust the blur once it's finished.

i hope that makes sense.

jonathan_k 03-06-2011 10:52 AM

Yeah, makes perfect sense, will probably have to mess about with it though. Thanks yo..

4personnen 03-06-2011 11:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The fact that using a smart object for LowF would be an annoyance as the brush/healing brush job will only be permitted once the layer opened as a document on its own (and you'll have to save to go back to your main document). Or maybe you're just working on the HF layer. Or maybe it changed with CS5
My2cents...
I am not sure I make myself clear :)

pixeltek 03-06-2011 11:19 AM

true about cloning/healing, etc., on the smart object but my workflow is such that i typically have all of that done before i do the hf/lf and am just using it as an overall evening out process.

jonathan_k 03-06-2011 12:20 PM

I have a follow up question if you all happen to have the time.

It would appear from discussion and from the actions posted that it is from from ideal to do a frequency separation with 8 bit images. My question then is this;

Is there any major downside to converting an image from 8-bit to 16-bit?

I get the advantages of the 16-bit workflow, but yeah. Any downsides that you can think of?

Thanks again

Jon