RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Needed advice how to smooth skin on forehead

Old 03-06-2011, 07:14 PM

Needed advice how to smooth skin on forehead

Hello everyone,

Not quiet sure how gently to smooth skin on the forehead.A high volume of highlighting and deep wrinkle makes it a bit of puzzle to me. One of the methods I do is D&B on soft light 50% grey layer and it does not seem that I am achieving a lot. Thank you for advice.Nebula
Attached Images
File Type: jpg forehead.jpg (81.9 KB, 132 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2011, 07:41 PM

Re: Needed advice how to smooth skin on forehead

If you want to get rid of the HL - I'd use an inverted HP or 2 - is that a crop at full size?

x
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2011, 04:39 AM

No it is not. Shall I post full size?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
If you want to get rid of the HL - I'd use an inverted HP or 2 - is that a crop at full size?

x
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2011, 06:48 AM

Hello again,

Thank you.
My experience so far: the lesser numbers of of HP and GB using IHP technique tends to image to look plasticy. Lets say if i do 15 HP and 5 GB it looks plastic and dull.The I push it up 21/7 it is getting better then 24/8 and 27/9. I would say 27/9 looks to me acceptable skin looks natural But i still got that harsh transition. The only idea i have atm in my mind is do a bit of manual D&B work and then apply IHP. By the way as you mentioned early IHP is like alcohol in responsible dozes it makes you feel good and in big makes you throwing in the corner
here is the sample full 100% resolution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post

x
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foreheadsample.jpg (85.8 KB, 88 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2011, 12:57 PM

I'd start with some clone and heal and take out some of the larger blemishes. Once the skin is looking fairly even, dodge and burn will get you where you need to go. You just have to hit it a bit harder, but you might need to try a harder blend mode as well, maybe hard light or overlay. Far from needing a IHP layer, I actually added a gently blended soft-light high pass sharpening.

Cheers,
Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skin.jpg (91.4 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by MBChamberlain; 03-07-2011 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Holy Comma Splice Batman
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2011, 01:44 PM

I want to be very careful with clone and heal tools. I did some very subtle cloning using solar curves to match cloned areas. By what you provided is you eliminated texture a lot.
When you say dodge and burn do you mean wrinkle by wrinkle?
and what layer<but you might need to try a harder blend mode as well, maybe hard light or overlay> are you talking about. I have background copy which is retouch layer, then clean up layer 50% grey. Would you tell me you work flow arrangement because I am confused here.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBChamberlain View Post
I'd start with some clone and heal and take out some of the larger blemishes. Once the skin is looking fairly even, dodge and burn will get you where you need to go. You just have to hit it a bit harder, but you might need to try a harder blend mode as well, maybe hard light or overlay. Far from needing a IHP layer, I actually added a gently blended soft-light high pass sharpening.

Cheers,
Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2011, 02:20 AM

Basic work flow for skin work:

Step 1: Clone and heal - remove any large or small blemishes to make the skin a uniform texture
Step 2: Dodge and burn - using dodge and burn, reduce the perceived depth of skin texture by darkening the highlights and lightening the shadows, don't make large scale dodge and burn corrections at this phase - this is the layer I said you could do a little more with, I sometimes set it to hard light if I'm working on a difficult image like this one. I will also usually separate the dodge and burn into two separate layers, just to make things more straight forward.
Step 3: Unsharp Mask - I'll make an high-pass layer with a radius of 1 and set it to hard light, then reduce the opacity until the image feels natural.
Step 4: Cleanup - With all the work in place, it's very easy to see any blemishes you missed in step 1, take care of these now, remaking the high-pass layer if you need to. Setting the high pass layer to linear light makes it even easier to see anomalies in the texture.
Step 5: Final adjustments - this is where you do any large scale dodging and burning, adding grain, color tweaks, and stylization. Then you're done.

When you have any control over the shoot, use LOTS of powder. I use a translucent hypoallergenic rice powder that I will apply every few minutes throughout the shoot. This will kill the shine and make retouching the photos much, much easier.

Hopefully that clears up your questions.

Cheers,
Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skin-1-Clone.jpg (89.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Skin-2-DodgeBurn.jpg (69.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Skin-3-Unsharp.jpg (89.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Skin-4-Cleanup.jpg (93.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Skin-5-Final.jpg (94.7 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2011, 07:38 AM

Thank you so much for such detail guide. At the moment i do D&B as you suggested and have to say getting really good results.It takes longer to do it but gives more natural look then quick fix techniques.
I will do my homework and do update on my progress very soon.
just to mention it takes me millions of clicks to do it with mouse so i should get my self a wacom tablet in the near future
Nebula.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBChamberlain View Post
Basic work flow for skin work:

Step 1: Clone and heal - remove any large or small blemishes to make the skin a uniform texture
Step 2: Dodge and burn - using dodge and burn, reduce the perceived depth of skin texture by darkening the highlights and lightening the shadows, don't make large scale dodge and burn corrections at this phase - this is the layer I said you could do a little more with, I sometimes set it to hard light if I'm working on a difficult image like this one. I will also usually separate the dodge and burn into two separate layers, just to make things more straight forward.
Step 3: Unsharp Mask - I'll make an high-pass layer with a radius of 1 and set it to hard light, then reduce the opacity until the image feels natural.
Step 4: Cleanup - With all the work in place, it's very easy to see any blemishes you missed in step 1, take care of these now, remaking the high-pass layer if you need to. Setting the high pass layer to linear light makes it even easier to see anomalies in the texture.
Step 5: Final adjustments - this is where you do any large scale dodging and burning, adding grain, color tweaks, and stylization. Then you're done.

When you have any control over the shoot, use LOTS of powder. I use a translucent hypoallergenic rice powder that I will apply every few minutes throughout the shoot. This will kill the shine and make retouching the photos much, much easier.

Hopefully that clears up your questions.

Cheers,
Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2011, 09:08 AM

i am adding one more sample i want to ask you fellows about. Are these(don't know name for them) goose pimples look like strongly not desirable in retouching? personally to me they don't look bad. it rather looks natural. But still would like to hear your opinion regarding this bit. Thank you. nebula
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eye.jpg (81.1 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulaoperator View Post
...just to mention it takes me millions of clicks to do it with mouse so i should get my self a wacom tablet in the near future
I own a Wacom tablet, but I retouched for 10 years before they were widely available, and I find that I rarely use it for retouching, only for drawing and the like. It will take the same number of actions no matter which method you use. I recommend borrowing one and seeing if you like it before you shell out the cash to buy one.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching