RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Skin Texture Consistency [HQ Beauty Samples???]

Old 03-11-2011, 11:02 AM

Re: Skin Texture Consistency [HQ Beauty Samples???

I still get an error message:
"We're sorry! There was a problem with this page.
The error has been logged and we will attempt to fix it soon"
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2011, 01:04 PM

stevens,

I checked and played the file successfully earlier this morning when I responded to your post...but now I get the same error response you get as well.

I submitted a service ticket with Screencast.com just now and asked them to quickly resolve their server issue for us. Lets give them a few beats...and try again. Ill keep an eye on this and keep the pressure on them throughout the day.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray12 View Post
LightKnights,

Over the years here at RetouchPro I have always been looking for and searching for the same capability. Like you and others, over a period of time, I began collecting a number of skin samples. A number of years ago to finish up a special project we decided to purposefully cast some perfect skin models and to light them in a way to properly bring out the skin pore textures we were after. We spent some additional time developing a way to capture and transfer the different kinds of pores onto seamless sheets of different kinds and to have them be smoothly and transparently blendable. We found a solution for ourselves that we use every day.

We have used our pores in our work to cover over and hide the smoothing effect created by cloning efforts, to conceal areas that we have touched up heavily on the face, and also to blend pore consistency through out the face. Sometimes you might like to harmonize the colors across the face to create a nice complexion, or maybe you have to cover over very rough or patchy skin, or deal with acne, or a strong area of blemishes. Using accurate pore textures instead of random digital noise helps it look a lot more natural... and it covers over a lot of imperfections so people can not easily tell we have retouched in that area. We too have also tried D+B and some other recent methods...but they are time consuming or not easy to get consistent results.

We have been a bit halting and uncertain what to do with this in-house capability ourselves and how to properly develop it possibly for use by others. Sometimes you want to keep it private... and at other times you want to see if others would enjoy using it. We use it here all the time on a daily basis. Sometimes we think of approaching an Adobe, or a Nik, or a Portrait Professional, or other more established company to see if they have any interest in a skin texture solution.

Ill include a short video clip here we made up just recently so you can visually see what it is...we think there is a good market for it too possibly. While we are great at retouching... we are not equally as good at web design or marketing or intellectual property stuff. We are artists. If any of you have any ideas that can help...that would be a great. You can easily PM me.

Here is a video of how we use them:

http://www.screencast.com/t/oVQkQvB3MaZ

Ray, I'm glad there are people pushing further since most of the members here are not buying in to vanity of others so called "top retouchers" this forum is great door to many existing and future members/talent unfortunately often numerous threads/questions turn in to subversive tips (sometimes insults) and they practically perpetuate on daily basis..

I'd love to see what you guys have come up with.. since I was going to start from scratch.. but if you guys are even half way there.. I would definitely be interested to bring it on the next level and make it available to others..

obviously it involves and requires retouching skills.. which is part of our job but I don't see it in any case as push button solution.. I spend hours on daily basis in 3d studios next door to our studio and the market is huge for Skin Texture Consistency (obviously thats properly done..)

Pascal is perfectionist freak) and i've seen yesterday the skin assortment he uses for under the eyes and neck based not only on colour and origin but based on age groups too.. he must be collaborating with some 3d Film studios to come up with serious HQ/unmatched most impressive results that I have ever seen..

hope you can fix the link, I don't think the size has much to do with it... Anyways, it's a good idea for everybody to see it in HD quality to be able
to see that it's not "Push Button" solution and appreciate your efforts..
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2011, 09:28 PM

Hi LightKnights and Stevens,

Apologies for the crazy link behavior. Here is a new and verified link for you both:

http://www.screencast.com/t/wIHk5WI0yyIG

(To see the video up close, choose the "large size version" on the image...then... use the full screen icon on the control bar to make it really go full screen. Its a bit soft...but it works some.)

Screencast.Com gave me really lame customer service experience today on their end ...so I uploaded another copy at this new location.

LightKnight, There are 4 generations of harmonized skin pore textures that we use daily. Like Pascal...im sure there are others out there that use large scale image libraries to create skin accurate textures. Heres what we do with it... and some of what it is like:

Generation 1 is a skin pore mask that is a perfectly captured skin pore face that is registered over a new face...and then the pores are transferred as desired. Its great if you want the exact correct pores for each part of the face placed exactly on the face. The drawback is that it takes a little bit of transforming time to register up the eye centers, nose tip, and lip line.

Generation 2 is the skin pore sheets. These are any size, seamlessly tiled, skin pore textures at 72 and 300 dpi. Each sheet is a perfect photographically accurate capture and bump map of a certain kind of skin...cheek skin, thigh skin, shin skin, forehead skin etc. The sheets are nice because you just drag them onto your image and paint them on where needed. No registration required. Nice time saver.

The practical reality for us is that in our shop we could take 6 hours to do a good Dodge and Burn...so in a weeks time... one retoucher could do 6 trophy images if the client wanted to pay his salary for that whole week for the images LOL. These pore correction sheets allowed us to take correct skin textures that print well at 16"x20" and to do 3 or 4 retouches an hour, all with anatomically correct, blended, skin texture that almost perfectly hides all of our retouching efforts, or provides natural and realistic looking textures to a large part of the body. Sometimes an image just needs pores on the legs to look good...or blown-out highlights need pores to make the correction patch look realistic, blendable and invisible. Sometimes you just want sexy looking skin on a model that has just average or poor skin.

Generation 3 is the quick apply version that embeds itself inside within Photoshop. It is instantly available for any retouch with 20 different textures on demand, seamless at any size of image. The highly unique skin pore patterns are chosen by type and by size desired. They can be artistically painted into the image as required to cover up smooth spots, make clone smudges look real again, add in missing textures, or just make the whole face look like perfectly textured skin... after softening and harmonizing all the colors of the face for a perfect foundation.

So yes, these kinds of things are out there...I guess Pascal is another... but in the 3d world. Give me a link to Pascal...he sounds like a really cool guy to meet.

Generation 4 now allows us to create skin pores on demand and to customize them further than before. We can precisely scale the textures, precisely position them, paint with them, light them from any direction, and provide positive and negative pores for Caucasian and Models of Color skin types. Some ethnic skin pores are actually convex instead of concave right? Yes. This version also allows us to match their exact skin colors desired so now its possible to create a full 20x30 inch 300dpi field with accurate skin pores that exactly match the ethnic skin color of the model with good blendability and control. It took us a while to get to this stage.

We use these daily. We did try to make them briefly available pubically at an older website of ours. We are looking now at how to make the pores available for licensing possibly or maybe to the public. We have paid our dues in creating the required libraries over time, as im sure others have as well, and we dont mind sharing them with others...but we dont know the intellectual property implications too well yet. Some associates say make them available for free...others say we are nuts not to try to recoup our development efforts. I wish artists were sometimes good business minds as well.

Sorry for being long...the teacher/instructor side of me always seems to pop out. LightKnight, Im mostly responding to your original post of: "my question is.. is this for real and have any of you done this?" The answer is Yes...its being done... maybe at a number of places, and maybe in somewhat different ways because of the applications.

Cheers

Last edited by ray12; 03-11-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2011, 12:56 AM

Quote:

So yes, these kinds of things are out there...I guess Pascal is another... but in the 3d world. Give me a link to Pascal...he sounds like a really cool guy to meet.
Cheers
not in the 3D world only.. he started doing his work primarily retouching photos but now with huge demand for his work.. Film Companies are asking him to assist on 3D projects etc.. he doesn't have the link of his work.. he did have at least something on the web some years ago but decided against it which in my opinion is not right regardless of how great he is.. and yes he is cool guy to meet I heard maybe a little too cool for an average Joe guy ..

Quote:

We use these daily. We did try to make them briefly available pubically at an older website of ours. We are looking now at how to make the pores available for licensing possibly or maybe to the public. We have paid our dues in creating the required libraries over time, as im sure others have as well, and we dont mind sharing them with others...but we dont know the intellectual property implications too well yet. Some associates say make them available for free...others say we are nuts not to try to recoup our development efforts. I wish artists were sometimes good business minds as well.

Cheers
the way I look at it is.. why not make it available for free that would make it perfect for everyone to learn and evolve in their beauty retouching and most importantly it would serve as option to eliminate tons of ugly examples/work on the net of over-processed skin that just looks terrible.. the reference of those ugly images are everywhere and they're growing by the minute.. I'm amazed at some people who are even selling their 5th edition books with those terrible examples showing..

On the other hand, I support doing business with it.. 'cause it would make it evolve further simply because the funding/$$$ would be there to support the time required/invested to make the updates and evolve further.. and obviously the responsibility to do it right is greater )

Quote:
Hi LightKnights and Stevens,

Apologies for the crazy link behavior. Here is a new and verified link for you both:

http://www.screencast.com/t/wIHk5WI0yyIG

(To see the video up close, choose the "large size version" on the image...then... use the full screen icon on the control bar to make it really go full screen. Its a bit soft...but it works some.)

I would suggest that viewers don't pay attention on the skin colour problems while you are adding skin pores since it's showing tone issues that's easily fixed as they may see at the end of your video with before & after examples.. but thats the way to go and there's obvious room for improvement..

we are looking forward in upgrading our digital backs in few months and we'll have 80mp Leaf and Phase to do it with.. those are going to be some juicy files to work with…

PS: I am not in support of tiled texture because regardless of how good they're made it doesn't look right.. it can be manipulated to look good but not entirely right..

Last edited by TheLightKnights; 03-12-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching