RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Skin Texture Consistency [HQ Beauty Samples???]

Old 03-08-2011, 01:17 PM

Skin Texture Consistency [HQ Beauty Samples???]

Hi there,

there's a lot of tips on RetouchPro about tones, D&B.. and every other subject except focus on
Skin Texture Consistency specifically..

usually everything revolves around "it's a long process, cloning, smoothing, D&B, etc.." there must be some other ideas out there...

I heard from a friend Photographer who uses Pascal Dangin that he uses HQ Photos of near perfect Skin samples/Library that he created to apply on whatever face/subject he is working on.. he even went so far as creating libraries for different types of skin based on their colour and origin..

not to mention sampling and creating libraries of the real make up from different companies.. etc.

my question is.. is this for real and have any of you done this?

creating perfect Skin Texture Consistency library sounds like a good idea to me.. if Natalia makes another DVD she could separately charge for the additional DVD Library that could be used not only by photographers and retouchers but also 3D community.. the market is huge!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2011, 01:57 PM

Re: Skin Texture Consistency [HQ Beauty Samples???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLightKnights View Post
there must be some other ideas out there...
You can lie to yourself thinking there are and there's some kind of magic, but there really isn't.
Then you'll spend ll your time looking for that special magic trick that's going to get you there instead of learning the things that can actually take you there. Where ever "there" is for you.

Don't fool yourself. We are not hiding anything.

x
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
You can lie to yourself thinking there are and there's some kind of magic, but there really isn't.
Then you'll spend ll your time looking for that special magic trick that's going to get you there instead of learning the things that can actually take you there. Where ever "there" is for you.

Don't fool yourself. We are not hiding anything.

x
obviously i'm not looking for push button solution.. ) there's tons of plugins there that people are still buying...

Skin Texture Consistency is something overlooked by many retouchers regardless of their efforts.. and those who achieve are usually not that loud about it.. except they throw the usual sauce/words like clone, D&B, etc.. which basically teaches you enough to like the retouching it self but it doesn't evolve further... not to mention the staring point of a good photography which is not the case in about 80% of times...

and what I see more often is that the retouching industry is evolving and the method used are just there to serve as good foundation but not to finish the product hence the effort of Pascal creating HQ libraries for different types of skin based on their colour and origin..

but thanks for your response anyways..

Last edited by TheLightKnights; 03-08-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2011, 03:09 PM

I guess these guys use just the technique you want: http://www.glamourretouching.com/

I'm no fan of it though, it just doesn't look real to me.

But try on your own if you want to (and if you don't want to buy the whole set, use this tutorial step 5: http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=209).
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2011, 03:42 PM

unfortunately not worth the effort.. those are Tiled Grain Samples and thats not what I'm looking for.. although applying process could be somewhat similar..

obviously anything Tiled will look like disaster/cheap...

what I'm talking about is Pascals HQ samples of nearly perfect skin.. and to try to recreate Skin Texture Consistency by applying them on pronounced median noise or surface blur surface.. since Skin Texture Consistency can be further adjusted with Liquify Filter to follow the individual face contours.. thats what Pascal is using for his
finished product..

thanks for the links though since we have to start from somewhere regardless of do we like it or not )
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2011, 10:44 PM

Take a look at this:
http://sidvasandani.blogspot.com/201...g-actions.html

Is that what you are after?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2011, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_W View Post
I guess these guys use just the technique you want: http://www.glamourretouching.com/
New “Skin Pore” Technology - Love it, Sorry Natalia, I will have to return your DVDs along with those of Gry, I will invest in this New Technology! Finally, push button retouch!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2011, 03:40 PM

LightKnights,

Over the years here at RetouchPro I have always been looking for and searching for the same capability. Like you and others, over a period of time, I began collecting a number of skin samples. A number of years ago to finish up a special project we decided to purposefully cast some perfect skin models and to light them in a way to properly bring out the skin pore textures we were after. We spent some additional time developing a way to capture and transfer the different kinds of pores onto seamless sheets of different kinds and to have them be smoothly and transparently blendable. We found a solution for ourselves that we use every day.

We have used our pores in our work to cover over and hide the smoothing effect created by cloning efforts, to conceal areas that we have touched up heavily on the face, and also to blend pore consistency through out the face. Sometimes you might like to harmonize the colors across the face to create a nice complexion, or maybe you have to cover over very rough or patchy skin, or deal with acne, or a strong area of blemishes. Using accurate pore textures instead of random digital noise helps it look a lot more natural... and it covers over a lot of imperfections so people can not easily tell we have retouched in that area. We too have also tried D+B and some other recent methods...but they are time consuming or not easy to get consistent results.

We have been a bit halting and uncertain what to do with this in-house capability ourselves and how to properly develop it possibly for use by others. Sometimes you want to keep it private... and at other times you want to see if others would enjoy using it. We use it here all the time on a daily basis. Sometimes we think of approaching an Adobe, or a Nik, or a Portrait Professional, or other more established company to see if they have any interest in a skin texture solution.

Ill include a short video clip here we made up just recently so you can visually see what it is...we think there is a good market for it too possibly. While we are great at retouching... we are not equally as good at web design or marketing or intellectual property stuff. We are artists. If any of you have any ideas that can help...that would be a great. You can easily PM me.

Here is a video of how we use them:

http://www.screencast.com/t/oVQkQvB3MaZ
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2011, 07:21 AM

Ray,
that links doesn`t work
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2011, 10:45 AM

Hi stevens,

The hosting server was temporarily overwhelmed and I had to purchase another 2 gig block of bandwidth.

I may try to make a up lower resolution version of it this weekend so it takes up less bandwidth.

Eventually though, I may possibly disable the original link later on next week if it continues to be a capacity problem. A lot to learn in the video side of things. Apologies.

Last edited by ray12; 03-11-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching