RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Digital White make up

Old 03-14-2011, 02:54 PM

Re: Digital White make up

Quote:
Originally Posted by amica999 View Post
Orange = Red + Yellow, both colors are very prominent in skintones

+1

In calvins method in raw he uses the orange slider and as we all know in ps does not have that magical slider so he makes one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2011, 03:07 PM

Oh, this makes sense then. Sorry, sounds like basics . Ok, it clicked, thanks amica999
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
Thanks Boneappetit for the reply, but , still, why using Orange to get rid of Red, this was my original question. In other words, to get rid of redish shadows, you used Orange. Is there a relation between Red and Orange? Thanks

Ok, I'll try to explain in my own words, and for what I believe, bear in mind that I'm not a photographer, nor a graphic artist, I don't even know how to draw. Maybe one of the more experienced members here could explain this in technical terms.

Just don't laugh, ohh what the heck, laugh if you want to, hehe, here it goes.

The orange color is closer or more compatible to different skin tones as Amica mentioned above, and also not as strong as red, but also containing red color. In the colors gamma is below the red color. I guess when you use it with Saturation and Luminance, "in a way" it acts as the 50% gray layer we use when we dodge or burn, below 50 it brightens and darkens above 50. (could be the other way around, hehe). Being a compatible color with many skin tones, I see it as a base to saturate or desaturate the skin and eliminating red shadows at the same time.

What really surprises me is that this process affects only the skin, leaving lipstick, and clothe colors untouched. <--- This I cannot explain. LOL

So, my bottom line is that you can use it to get rid of the redish shadows because it is weaker than red, something like changing paint color, mixing it with a lower or weaker color.

On the other hand you can desaturate the red (ish) shadows, on the red channel of a selective color adjustment layer, lowering the magenta slider and pushing the cyan up, I still prefer the orange Hue Saturation preset, it works better IMO.

I hope you can understand this... (language limitations

Last edited by Boneappetit; 03-14-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaLuna View Post
Thanks Boneappetit for the link!
My pleasure, glad I can help !
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2011, 12:56 AM

Wonderful Calvin, just wonderful, thank you so much.
I did enjoy a lot your DVD, I can't get enough of it. I hope you are working on another one. You are one heck of a guy that is full of surprises, I love your approach to photoshop and retouching, never afraid to try and experiment. just awesome. Keep them coming.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching