RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Natural tones versus Photoshop induced color tones

Old 03-24-2011, 09:21 AM

Natural tones versus Photoshop induced color tones

I have watched how one photographer has made mention of my tones being off.
I could say yes and no to that. The reason is that the colors of certain environmental things is affected by other environmental conditions. Why is the sky blue, the ocean blue, at sunset a orange or warm tone is seen on sand, snow, rock faces, etc. Environmental conditions affect how other natural phenomena like snow, water, earth, the sky, clouds, etc appear to us and affect what colors we would see in a photograph.

Any thoughts on color being off and the environmentally caused color affected conditions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2011, 10:08 AM

Re: Natural tones versus Photoshop induced color t

Could we see an example of the tones that were said to be off?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2011, 08:05 PM

Hello,

I am uploading the file. Thanks for getting back to me.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2blurbluewaterinpark2BCZ2BZ_HDR.jpg (93.3 KB, 93 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2011, 09:12 PM

Well, my personal opinion is that this is a bit over processed and would fall under the category of creative expression.
I'd say that the colors being "off" is a result of the processing of the file rather than conditions in the environment. For example, the purple color in the sky appears to be haloing coming from the branches. The blue water is a bit too neon/electric/fluorescent to be believable, but I'm guessing that you were going for a more surreal look versus a more natural look.
I don't think that a photo such as this is subject to the same rules of color correction that a less processed, true-to-life photo would be. Make sense?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2011, 04:04 AM

Within the electronic colour palette you have far more available colours than your eye/brain can possibly discern. In this case the colours are so 'off whack' that, surely, you are making a conscious effort to make them so.
R.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2011, 05:46 AM

Pretty much what happens with HDR effect gone out of control lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2011, 07:02 PM

youre kidding right? lol

The tones in your upload are not found in nature if thats what you are going for, that processing is way overcooked if you are trying to go for real tones. every color is nuclear. Like post tsunami Japan nuclear. If thats the look your going for, then by all means
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2011, 07:18 PM

Ok, in my own defense so that I dont get pegged as not being helpful as usual, Ill shed some light on what happened here, I dont have much exp with HDR, I dislike it, but you pushed this file so far that is bloomed artifacts all over the place. You basically took every rgb value in the file and cranked it up to eleven, so that it actually attenuated even the shortomings of the exposure from dark to light. The purple in the sky, it the abberation you got when shooting the scene, and the exp diff between the sky, and the dark tree branches taxed the optics in your camera and the sensor didnt know what to make of the transistion. Then you slammed it with HDR, and pumped the saturation across the board and it just took the junk and amplified it. same goes for the blue in the reflection, the sky is never the color of a blueberry snow cone, and the green is now teal and the browns and reds in the trees and ground is now fire engine red. Try throwing your processing in reverse and going all the waaaaay back up the block. If you dont ask too much from the image and know the limitations of the camera and the software your using, then you can be more subtle and have more control over the final.

Again, though, if this is your look, then pardon me and I misunderstood. But if your trying to figure out whats going on and why is the image more like a hippies acid trip gone bad , then hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching