Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to get rid of the shadow in this pic

Old 04-01-2011, 11:32 AM
How to get rid of the shadow in this pic

I want to put this pic on facebook but there is an ugly shadow right underneath my nose, i want to get rid of it, does anybody have any ideas about what to do, while still making the photo look normal as it would if the shadow wasnt there

^there is the photo, any suggestions, (i am not very experienced in retouching photos)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Re: How to get rid of the shadow in this pic

Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends.

FAQ: Will you do my restoration/retouch/repair for me?
No. This is a site for learning, and we will gladly help you learn to do it yourself. We have a "Image Help" forum just for that purpose. Click on "Forums" on the navbar to get there. There is also a "Classifieds" forum if you're willing to pay one of our members to work on your photo.

It will help if you let us know what photo editing software you are using and what you have already tried to do to improve your photo.

How to attach Files/Images to your Posts or Threads? (Click here)

You can post fairly large pictures which are under 100k using the save for web function in Photoshop as described here: Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images.. (Click here)

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image on your own site or elsewhere and attach a link (as you did in your post ), but also please attach an under 100K version here (so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links).

A lot can be done using Adobes (free) Photoshop Express Editor on line as shown below..
If you have access to a full blown version of Photoshop there are many more options available..

A word of warning... getting involved with retouching or working on photos is very addicting but lots of fun....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Original.jpg (196.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg online-Adobe-.jpg (190.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg PhotoshopSmoothed.jpg (191.4 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by 0lBaldy; 04-02-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2011, 08:40 AM

I played around with it and got this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DS03808 copy.jpg (84.7 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2011, 01:08 PM

Dodging, cloning and very light painting...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard02.jpg (153.9 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Talking Re: How to get rid of the shadow in this pic

This depends on what program you are using of course but with Photoshop,( I recommend just using a copy of the main layer ) You can do it by using clone-stamp (27px soft flattened brush i really don't recommend using a round one for this lol ) to get rid of the shadow then healing brush( round size may vary hardness 34% spacing 25%) to soften it this is only used lightly.

the result is DS03808-fixweb-1.jpg

if you were to play with contrast and brightness along with change the layers display option to screen you would get this DS03808-fixweb.jpg

Hope that helps

and yes it's been said already but photo alteration,correction and manipulation can be very very addictive =)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2011, 04:57 AM

I can see that numerous people have replied to this, and my input is probably not needed.... other than to suggest the clone tool, pixel by pixel skin coloring using the skin tones from the left, right, top and bottom of the area to be corrected. Then using Gaussian Blur, blur tools, and the like. Also, if a smoother look is desired, then to use the 'remove pattern', despeckle, smooth, and blur tools.

I find it easier to make corrections at high zoom and then zoom out again to see the photo 1:1 Another way that's fairly easy is to take another photo of the same subject with better lighting and then to either clone the area under the nose or cut and paste the correction area under the nose. Depending on your photo matching of the new and old photo for proper sizing and tones. This can be done very quickly with a little practice. Actually, you can use almost any photo of a person who is similar to the subject in size and color (after you've matched tone, hue, and contrast and brightness) Then just blend any body part you need. It's an easy way to add arms to the armless, or a top of a head that's missing... Often I can find a relative to the subject and spend less time.

If you need to borrow another photo to fix the current one, try to match the angles (person looking to the left, then get a photo with another person looking to the left).... For cloning... create a new image double the size of the photo you want to correct... cut and paste the master photo on the right and cut and paste the second photo (the one who you will borrow missing parts from...i.e eyes, clothing, body parts) to the left... A bit tricky sizing the new image to the master and adjusting contrast/brightness, color balance, but it gets quicker as you do this... and then just clone in the parts of the image from the new photo and clone in the photo being corrected. You may need to adjust the clone-from photo or use several different photos to fix everything you need to retouch... but it can actually make your restoration go quicker at times... When finished. capture out the corrected photo and paste as new image...

Sample picture is Original, clone & pixel paint, and third pic has Gaussian Blur, remove pattern, despeckle, for a smoother look. Pic can be contrasted and brightness to liking... Also touched up like back of collar white added pic 3. It's all what the customer is looking for of course.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nose Shadow 3 pic.jpg (98.0 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching