RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

is there a way to "desaturate" the black ?

Old 04-02-2011, 01:05 AM

Question is there a way to "desaturate" the black ?

Hi

is there a way to "desaturate" the black/blacks ?

i tried color selective , level but i did not get the results

i have some photos with los of predominance of black

i would like to decrease the black

how could i do ?
i tried level output level +5 but did not get the result

thanks
cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2011, 02:23 AM

Re: is there a way to "desaturate" the black ?

Use a luminosity mask, or use the threshold adjustment to make a mask of just the blacks in your image. Or you could just use a Hue/Sat layer and use the "Blend If" sliders under blending options to restrict the adjustment to the blacks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2011, 03:47 AM

I'd use the blend if sliders (luminance blending), as they're quicker and allow more flexibility imho.

Another simple idea would be to add a Selective Color adj. layer, set it to "Color" mode, go to the Blacks and add Black to them (that way the black will be 100% and therefore have no color. Applied in "Color" mode it'll desaturate the blacks).
But I suppose MacBurg's idea is better for this kind of tweak :-)!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBurg View Post
Use a luminosity mask, or use the threshold adjustment to make a mask of just the blacks in your image. Or you could just use a Hue/Sat layer and use the "Blend If" sliders under blending options to restrict the adjustment to the blacks.
thanks

may you please help me much more about use a luminocity mask ?
what should i do exactly ?

and
Quote:
and use the use the threshold adjustment to make a mask of just the blacks in your image
i did
i used threshold adjustment , made a mask but after how could i proceed?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2011, 12:24 PM

What is the issue? selecting the Blacks only or what to do with BLACKS?

You need to put the blacks, only the blacks, on a sprate layer, on the very top. Find a way to do so, if you need help on how to select just the blacks, let us know.

Once the blacks on a separate layer, on the very top, create a selective color adjustment layer, just click that half black half white circle on the bottom of the layer palate, this will create new layer on top of the blacks, this layer will have selective color adjustment in it.

Now, before you do any thing, look at the selective color window (it is realy tap), anyway, on the bottom of this selective window, there are few icons, click the 3ed one from left, it is the "clipping" icon, basically, it limits whatever you do there to just the lyer under it, which in your case, the blacks layer

you see where it say "colors", click the down arrow and select "neutrals", on the blacks slider, move the triangle to the left, this will lower the intensity of blacks, play around with the other colors, this will change black to something else.

If you have a problem or do not understand any step, just let us know.

(this is not blend if or luminocity mask)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantra View Post
Hi

is there a way to "desaturate" the black/blacks ?

i tried color selective , level but i did not get the results

i have some photos with los of predominance of black

i would like to decrease the black

how could i do ?
i tried level output level +5 but did not get the result

thanks
cheers
It's not clear what result you are after. Are you trying to increase detail in the blacks, fog them to gray or make them neutral in color? What color/density are they now?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
What is the issue? selecting the Blacks only or what to do with BLACKS?

You need to put the blacks, only the blacks, on a sprate layer, on the very top. Find a way to do so, if you need help on how to select just the blacks, let us know.

Once the blacks on a separate layer, on the very top, create a selective color adjustment layer, just click that half black half white circle on the bottom of the layer palate, this will create new layer on top of the blacks, this layer will have selective color adjustment in it.

Now, before you do any thing, look at the selective color window (it is realy tap), anyway, on the bottom of this selective window, there are few icons, click the 3ed one from left, it is the "clipping" icon, basically, it limits whatever you do there to just the lyer under it, which in your case, the blacks layer

you see where it say "colors", click the down arrow and select "neutrals", on the blacks slider, move the triangle to the left, this will lower the intensity of blacks, play around with the other colors, this will change black to something else.

If you have a problem or do not understand any step, just let us know.

(this is not blend if or luminocity mask)
thanks
to select the blacks i did color range-> shadow ,is the right?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2011, 12:54 PM

whatever way you select them, there is no right or wrong way as long as they are selected and paced on a separate layer. The blacks might be contaminated, just erase other colors off that layer this way you are left only with blacks (a better way will be to mask off other colors, but for now, just erase any thing you don't like and leave only blacks)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2011, 01:27 PM

Question how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
whatever way you select them, there is no right or wrong way as long as they are selected and paced on a separate layer. The blacks might be contaminated, just erase other colors off that layer this way you are left only with blacks (a better way will be to mask off other colors, but for now, just erase any thing you don't like and leave only blacks)
because there is a way to select them ?
how do you select them?

thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2011, 02:01 PM

Use the magic wand, set tolerance to low so that you can select only blacks, once you do your first selection, press and hold the shift key while selecting other black areas, this will add them all up into one big black selection, keep clicking till you have one solid black area selected. Once satisfied with your selection, hit Ctrl+J to duplicate layer. or just go to edit\copy , then, edit paste, this will place the selection on new layer
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching